Destruction Aftermath, Book 4 - Cover

Destruction Aftermath, Book 4

Copyright© 2011 by radio_guy

Chapter 9

We were looking at the map and the long trip through Crescent Junction and Green River and going north toward Price. The total distance was just under a hundred miles and we were worried about where we would stay. Our time in the barn was not fun but, if we had been outside, it would have been worse. We were comfortable here but supplies would be a problem. We couldn't wait for spring. Looking at the map, we again thought of moving south. We had set up a good antenna and talked with Preservation about our possible routes. We would have to travel through the four corners area but Dad said that we could reach Phoenix from there and be warmer. He was concerned about weather where we were. Everyone was alarmed about the lion, too. We didn't have big predators in our home area. Dad told me and Papa Jim agreed that going south would be wilder for a while but would lead to warmer country. I think that convinced us. We wanted to escape winter.

It would be a long trip. We estimated a good two weeks without problems or bad weather. It would be March by the time we reached Flagstaff. Dad told us that he was not sure but we might have to go further south to find warm weather. Dad also told us that the radar looked good. We stayed for three nights resting up and checking our gear. We found more sleeping bags and tents for our use on the trail if we could find a roof for the night. This time, we would all travel together. Our experience with scouts had led us to believe that we had not accomplished much but had endangered more by having Janice and Bennie out far in front since they represented our only mobile group.

We left and made the short trip to Crescent Junction and turned south on US 191. Our trip to Flagstaff was long, tedious, cold, but included no incidents of note. We saw no one and no animals though tracks continued to be plentiful. We had no trouble with snow other than its presence. Our rations were growing tight as we couldn't bet on finding food in Flagstaff. Our calculations were correct. It took almost the full two weeks we had figured to make it into Flagstaff. It was still cold and we found shelter for the night and planned to continue on after a day or two of rest.

We had come in from the northeast on US 89 and camped at a high school on the outskirts of town. The gym gave us a place to stable the horses and the rooms gave us plenty of sleeping space. We were used to sleeping on the ground so the floor was fine. We weren't going to move in and stay; just get our bearings and move on to warmer climes.

Looking at the map and talking to Preservation, we decided on Phoenix. It would be warm though dry according to the information Mom and Dad had downloaded years ago. We decided that, when it got warm, we would look for water and stop when we found the two together. There, we would rest up and take it easy for a while. Phoenix was just under one hundred fifty miles away though we would have to go through Flagstaff to get on the southern road, I-17. We started out the next morning planning to get through town before stopping for the evening.

After going through a mall and finding it had been emptied thoroughly, we were back on the road and in downtown Flagstaff. A man stepped out into sight about a hundred yards in front of Bennie. He looked back at Jim who nodded from the front wagon. Bennie went up to about twenty feet from the man, dismounted, and said, "Hi. I'm Bennie."

The man said, "I am Warren and this town is ours."

Bennie responded, "We are just passing through on our way to Phoenix. We are from Georgia and were looking for some friends but winter caught us in the mountains. We just want to get south where it's warm."

"We could take your wagons and your women."

"You might," Bennie replied, "however, you would lose many men in the process and you would find our women are unwilling to be taken. Instead, why don't we try being friends?"

"That is not our way. We take what we want."

"That's too bad. Should I shoot you now and start the battle?"

"You could surrender. We might let you walk on through Flagstaff."

"I think not. Raise your hands in surrender of your own or you will die."

"No."

Bennie unhurriedly drew his pistol and pointed it at Warren. "Who should I tell that you died?" He asked calmly. That shook Warren. Bennie told me later that he thought Warren didn't expect his bluff to be called. Janice had vanished and Ollie and I had our rifles at ready and were scanning each side of the road. I hoped that the game of bluff could end peacefully but I would back Bennie.

A minute passed in silence. A shot rang out ahead of us followed by a shrill yell. Bennie said, "That means that your guys are under my wife's caring eye." He paused and then said, "They will be coming out in a moment." He calmly looked over Warren's shoulder at the four men who were coming out with their hands up. A fifth came out a moment later helping a sixth man. Bennie said, "Okay. Now, is that all of you and where is your main party?"

Warren said nothing but his eyes had a shocked look. I came up with Bennie and said, "Answer his questions or one of the rest of you will because Bennie will shoot you dead where you stand."

He began to look scared but, after gulping, said, "That-that's all of us out here. The rest are in our camp watching over our stuff and our women."

"That's better. See how easy it is to keep living. Janice, bring his buddies over here." Janice had her rifle on them and would goose them with the barrel whenever some one of them stopped moving. They came up as the rest of our wagons and people arrived.

Jen said, "Bennie, Janice, you two seem to have things under control. Should Anna bandage the one you shot?"

Janice looked up and said, "No, he will live. He can lose lots more blood before he's in danger. Maybe, if we let it hurt a while longer, he will learn to not try something when he's covered."

Warren bit his lip at that callous remark. Janice could be a bit blood thirsty when she thought it necessary. Her tone left no room for argument.

"Okay, Boys," she said, "sit down and we will listen while you talk. Don't make me wait the answers to our questions. Kneecaps are tough to have shot. It's painful and you'll be crippled for the rest of your life." They looked suitably impressed by that threat. All of them sat down with looks of shock and dismay on their faces. Janice looked over at Jen, "They're all yours. Have fun. I'm going to look around. If I find their camp and get back before they have told you everything you want to know, I will hurt them for you."

Jen grinned evilly, "Okay, Janice. We'll find out if they're smart and talk or if they're dumb, want to hurt, and then talk."

They talked. Condensed down to a single story, it seems that they are the remnants of a bigger group which split. This group went west and picked up a few people usually killing off the men and taking the women. After Jen kicked one in the crotch, they were more careful about what they said and how they looked at her. While I couldn't totally blame them for looking because my wife is a gorgeous woman, there are times when not casting leering glances is smart. They weren't real smart but could learn it seemed.

I will never understand why men want to act like cavemen rather than enjoy women as equal partners. Preservation would have been so much poorer without the input of the women members of the community. Also, I couldn't imagine my Mom, Jen, or Janice taking a subservient role in life. My Dad, Bennie, and I considered them equal partners and listened to their opinions.

So these guys took a different tack and had lost a vital part of their humanity in the process. We knew everything we wanted to know and maybe a little more. Jim was satisfied that they had never met the Salt Lakers.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close