Demons Slain
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2011 by Texrep

In the following days I remembered what she said, as I had the same thoughts. I had not been looking for a new life companion, although I had not discarded the idea that someday I would meet someone. My thoughts however had not envisaged that someone coming into my life at this point. Millie had come into my life though and I would have to accept the fates that guided us together. As we spent time together I became closer to her; a rather unexpected outcome considering the friction of our first meetings. We spent other days meandering around the area and down into Cornwall. I had always loved the West Country and my pleasure in the places we visited was enhanced one hundredfold by my delightful companion.

We were exploring Plymouth a few days later when I saw a poster advertising a concert on the Hoe. The Band of the Royal Marines would be playing and included would be the Sunset Ceremony. I suggested to Millie that it may be worthwhile going.

"It's running from four until eight. I thought we could grab a bite to eat somewhere afterwards."

"That sounds good, Greg. I have always liked seeing the Sunset Ceremony."

I was able to park not too far from the Hoe. There would probably be a ticket on the car when we returned but I was in company with at least another sixty cars, so we would all get a ticket. The crowd thickened as we walked onto the Hoe and it was easy to see where the band would play, a large area cordoned off with portable steel railings. I had brought a blanket from the car and having found a spot with a good view of where the band would march and play, we settled down. Millie sat close to me so I put my arm around her shoulder. She turned her face and kissed me. The smile told me how happy she was.

The concert was excellent with a good repertoire of traditional British marches and some Souza marches as well. As they played they marched and counter-marched never missing a beat or a step. The finale was Sunset, the brisk tap of the drums, traditionally calling the Skirmishers to break off and return to camp. Then the clear notes of the trumpets and bugles hanging on the evening air as the flag sank slowly from the Jack. Looking over the Sound we could see that the few Naval Vessels in the harbour were lowering their ensigns in concert. I could hear in my head the command over the ships speakers 'Face aft and Salute'. The pride emanating from the audience was tangible as the ceremony came to a conclusion. My eyes were moist and I turning to Millie I saw she had tears slipping slowly down her cheeks. I took out my handkerchief and wiped them away.

Millie smiled saying. "Will I need to wash that handkerchief as well?"

I shook my head. "No They were your tears of happiness. I shall keep that as a memento."

The audience began splitting into couples and small groups, wandering away over the Hoe, the first steps of a journey home.

"What would you like to eat?" I asked Millie. "Chinese, Indian, Italian or good old Fish and Chips." There was no hesitation in her answer.

"Chinese. I love Chinese.".

"Chinese then." I held out my hand to help her up. "Come on. Let's go and find a restaurant."

Millie was very quiet as I drove back from Plymouth, and I didn't feel the urge to fill the silence with inane chatter. We got to Tavistock around ten-thirty and I stopped outside her flat. She sat quietly in her seat and looked towards the front door then turned to me.

"Can we be together tonight?" I leaned over and kissed her.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." She whispered. I went to get out of the car. "Not here, Greg. My place is so small with stuff all over the place. I was thinking your room." She went on hurriedly, as if she had been thinking about it and made plans. "I don't want to walk through reception with you. I'll go in through the back." I understood her concern. Angela would not be there now, but Walter, the night porter would be and like most night porters he liked to keep an eye on coming and goings and who was going into whose room.

"It's locked at this time of night isn't it?" She grinned.

"Yes. But I have a key." I started the car. "Let me out, Greg. I need to get some things first. I'll walk up."

"I'll wait for you."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely."

Millie asked me to park well away from the entrance, slipping out of the car as soon as it stopped. I tried to be nonchalant as I went through reception and up the stairs, I think I may have looked calm and collected, but inside I was a bundle of nerves. She was waiting outside room nine and as I appeared groaned a sigh of relief. I opened the door and she scuttled in.

"I was petrified that someone else would come up the stairs and see me." She told me and I in return told her how I had tried to appear normal.

"Except that my stomach was doing somersaults."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close