Ruffy and Me - Cover

Ruffy and Me

Copyright© 2015 by maypop

Chapter 5: Surprised

The next morning, as usual, JJ awoke at the crack of dawn. He always got up at that time every day. He wanted to wake up early enough to give his day to God by Bible study and prayer. Then, of course, he couldn't do without memorizing the Bible verse he would use to meditate on during the day.

JJ got to the jail nice and early and was met by a nice gentleman, the sheriff. His name was Burl Harden who said, "JJ, Marshal Jones described you to a tee."

"I hope he wasn't too bad on me," replied JJ.

"Naw, you look just like he said," said Sheriff Harden.

"Okay, you know what I'm here for. I'd like to get on the road," replied JJ. "All right JJ, I'll bring him out front. I'll put him on the horse I owe Marshal Jones. Go ahead and check him over," said Sheriff Harden.

After locking his prisoner to the saddle and saying goodbye, JJ was on his way. He was very concerned, for this twin was not talking. JJ remembered what Marshal Jones had said, and kept his eyes moving as they moved along the trail.

Several miles outside of town, as they were starting to move into rocky terrain, Ruffy was ahead about fifty feet when, suddenly, he started to hold back. JJ saw it and looked at his prisoner. He noticed he was looking at some rocks ahead about three hundred feet.

As the road turned, they went out of site of the rocks in a group of trees and JJ turned into them. As he dismounted, he tied his horse and his prisoner's horse together.

JJ then decided that he didn't trust this quietness and, as he reached up to tie his mouth with his bandana, the prisoner took his foot out of the stirrup and kicked JJ right below the rib cage, knocking him back about five feet.

This took JJ's breath away for a moment or two. Then Johnny started kicking the horse, trying to get away. He couldn't guide the horse even if he did get it loose, because his hands were handcuffed to the saddle horn and he had no reins. JJ got up, dusted himself off, walked over, and grabbed Johnny's foot with his right hand. JJ twisted his foot. However, before the man could cry out in pain, JJ's left hand caught him full on the left side of his face, knocking him colder than a Christmas turkey. Then JJ tied his feet to the stirrups and gagged him in case he woke up.

JJ went and opened his saddlebags. He pulled out a set of Indian moccasins he had made from bearskins so he could move without being heard. "Ruffy, stay and guard the horses!" commanded JJ, after putting on the moccasins.

Ruffy whined as though to say, "I want to come," but stayed as his master had ordered.

JJ then proceeded to sneak around through the rocks, carefully making sure not to expose himself to the would-be bushwhackers. JJ worked his way up behind them. He saw there were three of them. He got within ten feet without being seen. That was one of the skills he had learned from the Indians.

JJ pulled his guns while almost simultaneously cocking the hammers back, as he said, "Looking for me?" JJ caught them totally by surprise. They dropped their guns and turned around with their hands up in the air.

Two guns being cocked, first one then the other, right behind you, when you are not expecting it, will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

"Leave your guns where they are and walk slowly out into the road. Don't sneeze because I'm not going to take my fingers off these triggers. You men just pray I don't stumble. My fingers are not going to give you any chance to escape," said JJ with the authority of one they knew meant business.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close