Ruffy and Me - Cover

Ruffy and Me

Copyright© 2015 by maypop

Chapter 4: The Assignment

Early the next morning, before sunrise, JJ got out his Bible and read and prayed to prepare himself for the day. He memorized the verse he would meditate on that day. As JJ saddled Sawdust, Ruffy watched patiently as he sat at the door where JJ had commanded him to sit. JJ decided to give him some commands to see if he could trust him to come along.

"Ruffy, come!" commanded JJ. Ruffy came to him and sat down at his feet.

"Back, Ruffy!" commanded JJ.Immediately, Ruffy returned to the door, sat down, and looked patiently as if to say, "Next command."

JJ realized that Ruffy could be trusted to accompany him throughout the day. He finished preparing for the day as though he was going to be gone for days. Who knows where he would be going? Going back into the house, JJ informed his mom that he didn't know where he was going, but that Marshal Jones said he would be gone two or three days.

JJ left the yard in the usual fashion -- over the fence. Sawdust was raring to go! Looking back, Ruffy was still in the yard. "Come on boy!" was all JJ had to say. Ruffy was over the fence in a heartbeat. Racing into town, Ruffy had no problem keeping up. Pulling up to the jail, he jumped off and tied the reins over the hitching rail in such a way that Sawdust could pull the reins loose on JJ's command.

He told Ruffy to wait outside and, watching to make sure Ruffy lay down by the door, JJ went in.

"Hi, JJ. Sit down. You are not going to believe this, but yesterday I received a telegram from Big Sky that they are holding a man there that is a twin to the man you caught on Saturday. The one here's name is Runny Hill, and the one in Big Sky is named Johnny Hill.

Either one could have killed your dad but only one of them did it. It seems just fitting that you get to go get him. The sheriff there owes me a horse, so you will not need an extra horse to transport the prisoner.

You have to watch it. Those twins belong to a gang that is still on the loose. Take at least four boxes of shells for each gun. That's a good practice to follow for a week's supply. When you are going, always let your horse go at his own pace, then when you need him, he will be fresh. Always keep the big picture in your mind. Keep your eyes moving. That way, your mind spots new movements. When you see a gun pointed at you, a quick movement one way or another may save your life, because you will not always have time to draw and fire. When riding along, work on one-word commands with your horse that will make him move very swiftly and with blazing speed one way or the other to help you escape danger.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close