Ruffy and Me - Cover

Ruffy and Me

Copyright© 2015 by maypop

Chapter 3: The Swearing-In

Monday morning, JJ got out his Bible and prayed to prepare himself for the day. He memorized the Bible verse he would meditate on that day. After getting dressed, he went to see the marshal. JJ was totally surprised when he walked into his office. The whole Fort Benton City Council was there.

Mayor Frank Robinson said, "JJ, we have been keeping an eye on you for a long time, and we are very impressed with your attitude and your ability to control your temper in almost every situation. Most importantly, your word is gold. All of us in the City Council, and Marshal Jones, would like to put you on as a U.S. Deputy Marshal under Marshal Jones. It pays sixty dollars a month, including expenses." "I'm flattered, but I don't know much about being a marshal; so, how could I do a good job?" replied JJ, not knowing what else to say.

"JJ, you're eighteen now. You graduated with honors from high school, and you have a great ability to learn. That's why Marshal Jones has asked for you, because he thinks you can learn to be a great marshal and he would feel it an honor to train you," replied Mayor Frank.

"Okay, I'll do my best," stated JJ.

With that, Mayor Robinson said, "JJ, take this badge and raise your right hand. Do you, JJ, solemnly swear to uphold the laws of the newly formed State of Montana to the best of your ability, so help you God?"

Raising his right hand, JJ said, "I do."

"Then, by the powers vested in me under the newly formed State of Montana, I pronounce you Deputy U.S. Marshal Joe Staples, Jr. He's all yours, Marshal!" finished Mayor Robinson.

"Okay JJ, put some coffee on to boil," said Marshall Jones with a big smile. "Boy, what did I get myself into? First thing I have to learn as Marshal is how to make coffee," said JJ going along with the game.

Everybody laughed and Sam, the jailer said, "Yep, that is the advantage of being the low man on the totem pole."

"Sam, you take the rest of the day off," said Marshal Jones.

After all else was said and done, just JJ and Marshal Jones were left. JJ said, "Where do I start, Marshal?"

"Watch the jail for a while. I got some errands to run." JJ felt fortunate to be in the position he was in. While he was sitting in the office, he started thinking about the great men of God. Pretty soon, he was on his knees asking for the same wisdom that Solomon had asked for. The day went smoothly for JJ.

That first day, Marshal Jones returned at about five o'clock in the afternoon and told JJ to go home and be back the next day. He had a trip for him to take that would probably take two or three days. He told him to bring some extra clothes and some snacks to eat while he was away.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close