Destiny - Cover

Destiny

Copyright© 2011 by Siobhan Langford

Chapter 7

Holy shit, is that who I think it is?

"Yes, Brigid, I am exactly who you think I am." Even through her amazement, Brigid couldn't help but wonder if her expression had been so transparent that Morrigan guessed what she was thinking or if she had actually read her mind.

Brandon, who was usually the more composed one of the group, was just as flummoxed as his sister this time. Here he was sitting in a world he hadn't even known existed, having a meeting with a freaking princess, when a goddess just appears out of thin air. As avid a reader as Brandon was, it was inevitable that he'd develop a very active imagination; but never in all of his 18 years had he imagined a scene such as this.

Aidan, too, was astonished to see her. Although, as he hadn't grown up listening to stories about her and other Celtic gods and goddess, he didn't find it quite as big of a deal as the others. He was more shocked by the fact that she had appeared out of thin air than by the fact that she was a goddess. Honestly, he didn't even know she was a goddess.

But none of them were more amazed than Kellen; practical, unflappable Kellen. Despite what the princess had told him about her dreams of Morrigan and the "warriors", Kellen had a hard time believing what he couldn't see right in front of him. Even after Hayley and the other showed up, he didn't fully believe that they were actually sent by the goddess. But with Morrigan and these so-called warriors actually being in the room with him, he could no longer deny that either existed. It was almost enough to give him hope that Taldor could be saved. Because no matter how many times Rhia told him this was about more than Taldor—that all the worlds were at stake—Kellen was first and foremost concerned about Taldor. He may not have started out with the best life here, but after coming to work at the castle, he had (against his will) begun to build relationships with people and had come to care deeply for them. He didn't want to see any more of them hurt.

"My children," she greeted them, her eyes as full of love as they had been when she had shown up in Hayley's dream. "I am so pleased to see the six of you together." Morrigan could tell by looking at their faces that they were full of questions. All but Aidan were too afraid to speak them aloud.

"Can you tell us what exactly is going on here?"

She sent him a smile of indulgence and affection. She was pleased to see Aidan actually speaking his mind for once. Even if it was considered a bit disrespectful to question a goddess.

"For the most part, Hayley was right. Although, Hayley, the goddess from which your family descends may be a little more powerful and well known than your family thinks." The look she gave Hayley was clearly amused, but Hayley couldn't fathom the source of her amusement.

"A few minutes ago, Brandon asked who 'She' is," Morrigan took a deep breath as she began to tell the story that was just once source of the sorrow in the depths of her eyes. "Many years ago, members of Tuatha Dè Danann defeated Carman, an evil witch goddess, when she and her sons tried to destroy Ireland. However, Carman was powerful enough to hide the fact that she had become pregnant by a mortal Irishman. She had the baby the night before she was killed."

What the hell is Tuatha Dè Danann? Aidan thought to himself, but was too embarrassed to ask aloud. Luckily, Brandon picked up on his confusion and, knowing Aidan probably hadn't been raised on Irish folklore the way he and his sister had, guessed at the source of it.

They're Irish gods from a long time ago. Like a mob family, but immortal and more powerful.

Gotcha. Thanks.

The goddess laughed at their telepathic interchange. She found it very entertaining to hear her family compared to organized crime leaders. Without letting the boys know that she had caught their conversation, she continued with her explanation.

"Brea, a minor god of Tuatha de Danann who had been charged to guard her, took the baby home to his wife who could not have children and they raised the child as their own. That child was Daianira. Unfortunately, her new family's goodness did not rub off on her, and she inherited the desire to devastate and destroy from her mother.

"For centuries, she strengthened her powers, waiting for the day that she would be strong enough to finish the destruction her mother and brothers had started in Ireland and to obliterate all of Tuatha Dè Danann. We were able to protect Ireland for the most part. But before we could finish her off, we were defeated by the Milesians and retreated to Tir n an-Og. And while Daianira is unable to reach us there, we are also unable to reach her.

"Yet, we foolishly believed that we had weakened her enough that she would no longer be able to cause much trouble. We were wrong. As she grew in power and knowledge, she eventually discovered Taldor—a world created by the Tuatha Dè Danann to honor our beloved King Lugh—and vowed to destroy it as retribution for what was done to her mother. And as her power grows, so does her desire for more power and her need to destroy. Recently, she has decided that just getting vengeance is not enough for her. If she manages to destroy Taldor, she won't stop until she has destroyed all worlds."

"I'm not saying I don't want to help or anything, but I'm not sure I understand what the six of us are supposed to do. Why can't the Tuatha Dè Danann fight her? I mean, you guys are gods and we're just human." Aidan was having a hard time wrapping his mind around the idea that they were supposed to somehow save the world. Or worlds. Whatever. Crestwood was a good school, but he was pretty sure it had not prepared him, or any of them, for that.

"The Tuatha Dè Danann are now confined, for the most part, to Tir na n-Og. We can venture out on occasion to interact with humans, but we are no longer able to fight. All we can do is find humans who can fight for us and give them a little extra to fight with. There has never before been the right group of humans strong enough to defeat her."

"What is it exactly, that makes us the 'right group of humans?'"

"You'll know that soon enough." While initially amused, Morrigan had begun to grow irritated by Aidan's barrage of questions. She was a goddess after all.

"Wait a minute, what happens when none of us show up to class tomorrow? Won't the teachers and, eventually, our parents freak out a little when they notice we've dropped off the face of the earth?" Trust Brandon to bring them back to practicalities in the midst of all the magic mumbo-jumbo.

"Time moves more quickly, though you age more slowly, here than where you four come from. So one year in Taldor is like one minute there, but you will only have aged by one or two minutes. So if you make it back, no one will even notice that you were gone.

"I know this task seems impossible. I admit, it is daunting. But you have powerful blood in your veins. I know you can manage. Besides, you will not be doing it alone. You will have an entire army to help you. You have a lot of work to do. You had better get to work."

And just like that, she was no longer there.

Rhia was the first to break the silence.

"I know everyone is probably having a difficult time assimilating all of the new information. Perhaps we should continue this meeting tomorrow morning over breakfast? In the meantime, try to relax and enjoy what may very well be our last chance for a bit of rest. I will see you all in a few more hours at dinner. I hope you are all pleased with your rooms and the garments that were laid out for you. Just let one of the servants know if there is anything you need."


"Hey Hayley, wait up. Let me walk back to your room with you." Hayley slowed her step as she waited for Brigid to catch up.

"Actually, I'm not going back to my room. I'm going to check out the grounds and try to get familiar with this place."

"Oh fun! Can I come with you?" To be honest, Hayley had been hoping to get a little time to herself to think about—well, everything really. After years of training to fight some unknown evil, she was having a hard time coming to terms with actually knowing whom and what it was she was fighting. Instead of being comforted by the knowledge, she was even more apprehensive than before.

But Hayley knew tact wasn't one of her strengths, so she didn't want to risk hurting Brigid's feelings by telling her she wanted to be alone and having it come out the wrong way.

"Yeah, sure," she answered instead.


"Well that was interesting."

"Hmm. That's an understatement." Aidan and Brandon were the only two left in the conference room. They both remained seated, still dumbfounded by the bomb that had just been dropped on them. Obviously, they had figured out there was something strange and magical going on when they had appeared in a world that they hadn't even known existed. But actually seeing a real live goddess and being told it was up to you to save not just your own world, but all of the worlds in existence? Yeah, that was kind of a big f$%king deal. And neither of the boys was quite sure how to handle it.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close