One New Horizon
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2011 by Sagacious

The driver froze, as three black men came through the door with guns already drawn. Joe the bartender was the first man into the room.

"That's it sunshine," Joe said, "take it out real slow and put it on the bar. I'm already pissed at you for drawing on me to start with, so you don't want to make it any worse." He looked at me then. "You, asshole, don't get the opportunity to fire me. I'm going to take all the cash in this place as a payment for what I am worth, and as long as no one tries to be a hero, no one will get hurt too bad. I'll be taking Inez along, for some fun later and maybe a couple more of the sluts to keep my friends company." He yelled over his shoulder at his two companions, "one of you clean out the registers at the bar, and don't forget the one out front, the other can keep everyone covered. I'm going to take Mr. Bigshit here back to the office to get into the safe."

One guy took off for the front entrance while the other kept waving his gun back and forth. Joe pointed toward the right with his gun and I started walking in that direction, with him close behind. I got to a short hallway just past the stage and paused, I saw 3 doors leading into the hallway.

"It's on the far left asshole; didn't you even know where shit was before you bought this dump?"

I didn't bother to answer. I headed toward the door indicated, but as Joe passed the first door one of the members of my security team stepped out and clubbed him on the head. Joe dropped to the floor and I heard someone in the main lounge yell. "Drop the weapon and get on the floor. You only get one chance before we shoot."

The man who had dropped Joe, was binding his hands behind him as I stepped by.

"Thank you. I was really hoping that you guys had this under control. It could have gotten very messy."

"Sorry it took so long. We saw them get here, but they got in before we could stop them. After that, we had to make sure that everyone was safe before we could act."

"I'm glad that you did. Are the police on the way?"

"Yeah, we called them before we came in and they should be here soon."

Joe was coming around then and the security guy helped him to his feet. We went back into the lounge area, where the other two hoodlums were tied up like Joe, and as I stepped in, Inez came running over and gave me a great big hug.

"I'm so glad you are safe, Alex. This bastard over here said that Joe was going to shoot you and leave you in the office. Who are these people who saved us?"

"These are the security team I hired when I got here. They have been around the whole time, staying out of sight to work best. You needn't have worried about me. Ms. Hudson has instructions for you and Jessica to be taken care of if something happens to me."

I might have imagined it, but I thought I saw a hurt look cross her face before Inez turned from me to thank the man escorting Joe.

The next couple of hours weren't any fun. I began to think that the police would rather we had just been robbed and killed so they could investigate it. My security guys were treated as if they were the crooks, not the heroes. I determined that they would get a nice bonus when I left town.

When the cops were finally done, I told the crew from the club to report tomorrow morning to get paychecks. My management team would be here planning the renovation and would take care of them then.

On the way back to the hotel I asked the women what they thought. "So girls, do you think you can do it? I really want to repay you for your putting up with me these last couple of weeks. One thing you might want to think about first is a new name. What do you think, Inez, do you have any ideas?"

"Did you do this just to get rid of Johnny?"

"Well, that sleaze ball needed getting rid of, but I also thought that this might be a nice wedding present for you. Give you something to do when you leave me at the end of the contract. You won't need to work, but this way you can if you want."

I was completely flummoxed when Inez broke out in tears. Janice was sitting next to her and Inez leaned over to bury her face in Janice's chest while she cried.

"What's wrong? What did I do? You don't have to take it as a present; I can give you something else. Please tell me what is wrong."

"Alex!" Brenda yelled at me. "Why did you have to say that?"

"Say what? I don't understand."

"About her leaving. You tell her that you care about her with your actions, and then say that it means nothing to you. You have her very confused. Inez told me what you said back at the club, how you had instructions for her and Jessica to be taken care of, but the way you said it was as if that would be the only reason why she would care what happened to you. We like you Alex, but sometimes you are so dense it hurts."

I didn't have anything to say to that.

Inez had lifted her head from Janice's bosom and looked over at me. "Alex, if I didn't care for you I would not have said that I would marry you. You have been the perfect gentleman and have shown Jessica more affection than any other man has ever done. I know that this started as a business deal, and I was prepared to go through with it in order to give my daughter a future, but your kindness and consideration of us has made me think that this could be enjoyable. The only thing left to happen is for you to think so too. Don't you feel anything for me?"

I was stunned by her speech. I looked at the other women and they all had smiles on their faces. I looked back at Inez just as Diane spoke up, "You love her, don't you? You have fallen for Inez hook line and sinker, but you have been so afraid that she wouldn't return your love, that you have had to act as if it didn't matter. That's what is going on, isn't it? You're scared to express your true feelings because you don't believe that they will be returned."

I felt trapped. Diane had seen through me and I didn't know what to do.

"Don't worry Alex. We have all been falling for you, and we think that Inez is the perfect match. The fact that you are giving us all a new life is just icing on the cake. We'll run the club for you and for ourselves, but you need to realize that you can be cared about. We may have started this because of the money, but after spending time with you the money was secondary. You are a good man and we want to be with you."

By this time we had arrived at the hotel, where Diane led me by the hand to the elevator. Nothing was said until the elevator arrived at the floor the girls' rooms were on.

Janice spoke then. "Come on Sophia, you can stay with me tonight, we have a lot to talk about. Is it alright if we stay here for a few days Alex?"

I was shocked out of my introspection by Janice's question. "What? Oh, yeah. You can stay here until your condos are ready. I can't have my managers living in the dumps you were in. I bought a condo building and you will be given the first options on apartments."

Janice gave me a kiss on the cheek and said thank you. Everyone but Inez got out and the door closed.

"Aren't you getting off here Inez?"

"No Alex. You and I need to talk, and tonight would be the best time, so let's go to your suite."

"But what about Jessica?"

"She should already be in bed, and the sitter will stay with her until morning if she needs to."

Inez pressed the button for my floor and when the doors opened I didn't resist as she led me to my suite. Once the door closed behind us she stepped into my arms and pressed her face into my chest.

"Diane hit it pretty square didn't she?"

"Right on the mark. I have seen myself as unlovable for so long that the thought that any of you could see me otherwise is a very big shock. I want it so much, but just can't believe that it could happen, so I try to keep myself separate. Am I so wrong?"

"Yes you are. I have seen deep inside of you and I like what I see. Your desires are not that strange, from what you have told me of your childhood. I can't imagine growing up in such an emotionless environment. My folks were always there with hugs for everything from cuts to bullies and heartaches, and it has shaped me. I have seen you with Jessica and I can see you trying, and failing, to remain distant. You want so badly to hold her, and I want you to, but first you have to hold me. We have been dating for weeks and you have even asked me to marry you, but you have yet to kiss me. It is time to correct that."

Inez pulled her head back and lifted her lips to mine. I had often daydreamed about kissing, almost as much as full on sex, and the reality so far outstripped the dream as to take away my breath. I had to break away when I started to get dizzy from lack of air. Even though we were separated, I could still feel the softness of her breath against my lips. The soft sigh she was giving out succinctly expressed my sentiments as well.

I don't know just how long we stood there. I came back to my senses to see Inez looking up at me with a smile on what I now knew to be soft, delicious, and very kissable lips.

"Would you like to sit down and continue this conversation Alex?"

"Oh is that what they're calling it now? I'm not up on the modern slang for making out I guess."

I let her guide me to the sofa and sat beside her without taking my arms from around her. I became aware of the play of muscles beneath the skin of her back and sides. There was so much about this woman that I wished to discover, but I had to make sure that she wanted me to.

"Was that what you expected Inez?"

"It was just one kiss Alex. I didn't expect much of anything from it. I just wanted you to know that I was not untouchable. You are allowed to hold your fiancé close and kiss her. It was a very nice kiss and you will learn more as you get some practice. Was that the first kiss you have ever had?"

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close