The March of the Rose - Cover

The March of the Rose

Copyright© 2015 by R22CoolGuy

Chapter 16

The Pious Satyr, Aithen, Eastern Realm.

Tristan finally had an opportunity to talk to Graydon alone after dinner. Dunin and Beriwen were set to take an evening stroll and Anastasia, still in a melancholy mood, had retired for the evening. Graydon was sitting in the dining room nursing a tankard of ale and listening to a traveling minstrel.

"I have been meaning to talk to you alone, about Anastasia," Tristan remarked, sipping from his own tankard. "She has been acting strange since this morning."

"Well, she did just bury her housekeeper and butler," Graydon countered. "She has a right to be, 'acting strange' as you put it."

"No, it is more than that. I think she is withholding information," Tristan replied. "I believe she was less than forthcoming during our revealing dinner of the other evening."

"If I remember correctly, so were you," Graydon countered. "Or did I miss the part where you revealed to everyone that you were a Thief?"

"No you did not and that is completely different," Tristan countered. "I left that out for obvious reasons. Thieves are not looked upon favorably and I did not want to spoil the group."

"Well, maybe Lady Anastasia felt the same way about whatever it is that you believe she is keeping to herself, which, I might remind you is her right and prerogative," Graydon stated firmly. "No one forced anyone at the table to reveal their personal secrets."

"Yes, I understand that, but still, she is acting strangely so I followed her," Tristan explained and was cut off by Graydon's outburst.

"You followed her?!" Graydon fairly screamed. "By what right?!"

"I was concerned about her state of mind," Tristan explained. "I have a feeling that before this is over that we will need everyone's very best and I had concerns. I have learned to trust the little voice in my head that tells me of danger."

"A feeling?" Graydon scoffed. "I have a feeling that your feelings run a little more personal than that."

"What do you mean?" Tristan asked defensively.

"You like her and are concerned for far more personal reasons than unit harmony," Graydon accused.

"Well of course I like her," Tristan replied. "She seems like a nice person and will be able to help out. I like everyone in the group."

"That is not what I meant and you know it," Graydon pressed the point. "You find her attractive and wish to know her better. You like her."

"I have only known her for a short time, a little more than a day," Tristan argued. "I do not believe in love at first sight."

"Well, you better tell that to Dunin and Beriwen," Graydon pointed out, chuckling. "They have only known each other for a day or two longer and it looks like love to me."

"It does not matter anyway," Tristan muttered. "She is far out of my class."

"Now that is asinine!" Graydon countered. "She is no better or worse than you."

"She is a Merchant Master, head of her own house, has a great deal of money. She is a Marquise for goodness sake!" Tristan grumbled a reply. "And what am I? A Thief! Not much of a prospect, am I?"

"Are you looking to have your ego stroked, or are you truly that dense?" Graydon replied, the disgust in his voice evident. "Do you remember the Code of the Lawgiver?"

"Which one?" Tristan asked.

"'You are as good as a king and yet no better than a beggar; humility is the mantle of righteousness'," Graydon spoke in a soft voice. "You have many fine qualities and she has never demonstrated the prejudice that you are trying to accuse her of.

Get to know her," Graydon continued. "Talk to her, find the common ground. You might be surprised to learn that she may in fact like you back."

"You think so?" Tristan asked, hope evident in his tone.

"You will not know if you do not try," Graydon replied. "Now tell me of this feeling you have."

"First of all, when did you become so wise?" Tristan asked. "When we first met you were more naive, not very knowledgeable of the world at large."

"My association with Lightbringer has brought insight, as has my association with you," Graydon replied and placed his hand on Tristan's shoulder. "You have done much to pull me from my shell, now, about this voice."

"For as long as I can remember I have been able to feel when something is not right," Tristan tried to explain. "A sense of danger or perhaps a premonition. It has kept me out of many a trap. I knew that things would go wrong with the kidnappers but I had to try and rescue the girl and hope that I could sidestep any problems."

"Are you talking about actually knowing the future?" Graydon asked.

"Nothing firm, more of an inkling and only if it is bad," Tristan added. "Bad for me, at least."

"Hmmm, let me check," Graydon replied and touched his sword. "Lightbringer, does Tristan truly have the abilities he is speaking about?"

"My Paladin, the human does not lie," Lightbringer replied, and would reveal nothing further when pressed.

"Interesting," Graydon spoke aloud.

"What?" Tristan asked.

"Lightbringer confirms your abilities but will not comment further," Graydon replied. "I find that interesting and maybe a tad disconcerting."

"Tell me more about your feelings," Graydon asked.

"Well, look at our party; we have two people that have unique swords, an Elfen Witch, who has been asleep for time untold, your unique circumstances and the result," Tristan ticked them off his fingers as he spoke. "Dunin's experiences and how he found his sword, as well as our own. Probably the most normal are Anastasia and I, and yet I have a sword from a different era so maybe I am not that normal either. We were brought together for a purpose, and I am not talking about your geas, or perhaps I am and there is more to it than just finding The Soulsmith."

"Perhaps you are right," Graydon conceded. "And if so then we need to be ever vigilant and not lose focus."

"Speaking of your sword, I have seen one similar before," Tristan revealed. "My old master had a Longsword with a silver blade and runic script very similar to the marks on Lightbringer. You know, he maintains a room in an inn in this city. I think I am going to go and talk to him. He may have insight into our quest, or perhaps he will even adventure with us."

"If you think you should, it cannot hurt," Graydon replied. "Can he be of assistance?"

"Oh yes, he was a Warrior in the Fighters' Guild as well as being a Master Thief when last I saw him," Tristan remarked. "He was my master. He is perhaps the deadliest person I have ever met. Yes, I think I will drop in and see if he is in the city. Thanks for listening to me."

"It is what friends do, Tristan," Graydon chuckled. "How long do you think you will be, just so I know when to start worrying? Oh, and what is the name of the inn?"

"Not more than two hours, three at the most," Tristan replied, after thinking about it. "It is called the 'Golden Pony'. If I am going to be traipsing around the city I should probably check in with my guild. Protocol dictates that I do."

"All right, I am going to sit here and listen to the minstrel and wait for you," Graydon stated. "If you are not back in three hours I will know where to start looking for you."

Tristan bid him goodbye, left the Pious Satyr, and made his way to the Golden Pony.


Anastasia was still feeling glum when she left the others and returned to her room. She finally realized that part of her feelings were a direct result of being around Dunin and Beriwen. It was not them, per-se, for she had the same feelings when around Gunter and Laura. It was the fact that she had no one to share with like they did. Why could she not find something like what they have, she wondered?

All of her 'Family' were gone: Rac-Nur taken and possibly already dead, Catherine and Oliver were definitely dead, and Aaron and Tanith Gods knew where, but probably never coming back. There was no one else in her life. It was a bizarre time to being looking for a partner, but still, it would be nice to share with another, like Dunin and Beriwen were.

Her thoughts kept coming back to Tristan, but he just seemed to annoy her. He was handsome, in a roguish sort of way, but that was just it, he was a rogue and she wanted something more stable in her life. And really, what did she truly know about him? Sure, he had given a glimpse into his life last evening but that was just it, a glimpse. And, she wondered what he left out because she was sure that everyone, save maybe Graydon, had left things out. Truth was, she left out quite a bit, but Rac-Nur had told her that Nin-Ja were secretive out of necessity and now she understood what that meant.

The only nice thing about thinking about how lonely she was, was that it did not give her time to dwell on the blood on her hands. Damn it! She needed to quit beating herself up over that. It was over! It was done! Master Darius was correct, she was still alive, victorious against people that wanted her dead! Now they, not her, were on their way to meet their maker and she was alive to live another day!

Anastasia felt a whole lot better after the self-examination. Perhaps looking at the need for love had shaken her out of the melancholy mood. It was very cathartic in nature, in that it allowed her to purge the negative feelings and focus on something else. Feeling better about herself she left her room in search of company.

Anastasia entered the great room and saw Graydon sitting alone, drinking from a mug and listening to the minstrel. She approached his table and asked to join him.

"Please, Lady Anastasia," Graydon stood and pulled a chair.

"Thank you," Anastasia stated, while sitting in the offered chair.

Graydon waved a server over and sat back in his seat as she took Anastasia's order. After the server left Anastasia looked around the room and then turned to Graydon.

"Where is Tristan?" she asked.

"He had an errand to run," Graydon replied. "He wanted to meet up with an old friend that maintains a room in one of the other inns. You seem to be in a much better mood."

"Yes, I had some things to work through and I am feeling better about them," Anastasia confessed. "I guess I have not been very good company today."

"Nonsense, Lady Anastasia! You have every right to your feelings," Graydon replied in encouragement. "A lot has happened to you in a short amount of time and perhaps you have felt a little overwhelmed and needed time to process all of it."

"Yes, I think that is exactly what happened," Anastasia replied and then asked. "Graydon, do you think you could just call me Anna?"

"If that is what you wish, Anna," Graydon replied and smiled. "I am honored."

"It is just that Anastasia is so formal and while there is a time and place for formality, we will be traveling and bonding, and Anna is more intimate, more friendly. I need to tell the rest, as well."

"Then Anna it is," Graydon smiled.

The two sat in silence, attending to their drinks, and listening to the evening's entertainment.


Beriwen and Dunin had finished their walk and started back for the inn. Upon entering the inn, Beriwen bypassed the entrance to the great room and started for the stairs.

"Do you wish to find the others?" Dunin asked, nodding toward the great room.

"No, there is something I must do that I have been putting off," Beriwen replied, heading up the stairs. "I am going to our room."

"Do you wish to be alone?" Dunin asked, stopping.

"No," she smiled, stopping on one of the steps. "I need to talk to my aunt and let her know what we are up to."

Dunin nodded and followed her up to their room, where she entered, leaving the door open for him to follow. Dunin entered behind her and closed the door as she crossed the room and sat down and summoned her stone. She moved her hands over the stone as if polishing it as the interior began to solidify and turn opaque.

"Lady Mara," Beriwen called out as she seemed to caress the stone but never actual touch it.

"Princess Beriwen, is there something wrong?" Lady Mara's face appeared within the stone.

"No... , well yes," Beriwen replied. "Circumstances have changed and I will not be returning as soon as previously thought," Beriwen explained.

"What has happened?" Mara asked.

"Dunin's mother was killed during a home invasion," Beriwen sadly replied. "We are going after the killers so I will have to put my other obligations on hold."

"Highness, your other obligations, as you put it, are no small matter," Mara gently chided.

"And neither are my feelings concerning my beloved," Beriwen retorted. "I will accompany Dunin and support him as needed."

"As you wish, Highness," Mara replied.

"Lady Mara, something of grave importance is happening and I will not bring our people back until it is resolved," Beriwen explained. "I will make certain that if anything should befall me that you will know what to do in my absence."

"Highness?" Mara asked.

"We have a group of five people, no make that six. Dunin and I, a Dvergur that is also the High Paladin--oh, and a Paladin of the Light as well--a Merchant Master, who is the ward of a WitchLord, who it seems is of the Tarran royal house of Whiterune," Beriwen explained. "Probably the only normal person is the Swordsman who has a life debt to the Dvergur."

"A Dvergur? Are you sure?" Mara asked incredulously.

"Absolutely sure," Beriwen replied. "So our party consists of two people wielding Runeswords, one of whom is a dwarf from before greed stunted that race, an Elfen Witch, a Monk of the Order of the Sword of Saint Michael, and two people wielding 'God Slayers'. I would say that something cataclysmic is coming."

"I should accompany you on this errand," Mara stated. "You may have need of my help."

"No, if something ill should befall me, I want you to take up my task," Beriwen explained. "We should stay apart but you should be vigilant as well. This thing that is happening may affect you."

"It will be as you command, Princess," Mara conceded. "I will tell you though, that I have not seen or heard from the WitchLord in several years, and yes, before you ask, I know him."

"I thought as much since you were astonished about Graydon but not about Anastasia's guardian. Could he be trouble, do you think?"

"No, not as long as you are on the same side as his human ward," Mara explained. "He is an atypical Tarran, in that he cares about humans, and especially that one. You will need to tread carefully if you travel east. Castle Daemongurd is occupied by a Thangdaemon Prince."

"I had heard that and will keep it in mind," Beriwen replied. "I will be in touch."

"Very good, Highness," Mara replied and then faded from the stone.

"Well," Beriwen stated, turning toward Dunin. "Something big is brewing and we should be on our toes."

"I agree, and so does Kalaban," Dunin replied, nodding his head.


It did not take Tristan long to find the Golden Pony. He entered the inn and stopped at the front desk where he recognized an older Brian, the son of the inn's proprietors.

"Brian, you have certainly grown," Tristan announced, as he approached the young man.

"Uncle Tristan! What are you doing here?" Brian replied, coming around the corner of the counter and approaching him.

Tristan clasped Brian by the shoulders and remarked again on how much he had grown. He released the young man and looked into the great room, a fairly full great room.

"Is your father around?" Tristan asked, looking for the owner. "And you are old enough to drop the uncle part:"

"He is taking the night off," Brian replied. "Can I get you a table? Do you need a room?"

Tristan was just about to answer when a shriek caused him to turn toward the dining room.

"Uncle, uhh, Tristan!" a young woman called out while quickly moving toward him.

"Brianna?" Tristan asked in astonishment, opening his arms wide. "Wow, you have certainly grown up!"

She stopped, pausing for a moment before resuming her gait at a much slower, more ladylike walk as she approached Tristan. She stopped in front of him and instead of stepping into his hug held out her hand, wrist bent and palm down.

"All grown up," she replied demurely. "Have you returned for good?"

"No, just passing through," he replied and took her offered hand and bent to kiss the back. "All grown up, indeed."

"Do you need a room?" Brianna asked.

"I already asked that," Brian cut in. "He was about to answer before you came over."

"No, I am staying with a group of people over at the Pious Satyr, and before you ask I did not make the decision on the inn," Tristan replied. "Actually, I stopped in on the off chance that Master Aaron might be in town. Is he?"

"No, we have not seen him in several years," Brian replied. "But, that is not too unusual, as I am sure, you know."

"How about you sit at a table and I will fill you in?" Brianna suggested. "It is not a long story."

"Who is managing the kitchen?" Brian asked. "I have my hands full out here."

"Natoya is the head cook tonight," Brianna replied and then hooked her arm in Tristan's. "She will be fine for a few moments, and when I am done I will help out on the main floor."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close