Sun Hair
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2019 by UtIdArWa

“Sheriff, better come quick. They’s coming.”

The sheriff looked questioningly at the doc. “Go ahead Pete. There’s nothing you can do for them. As soon as I can, I’ll be over to look at the boy.”

“OK Doc, but you know these folks will want some answers. Is there anything I can tell them?”

“Tell them that the young lady is alive, and not likely to die. Both of the women are in shock, I really don’t have anything else until I can talk to them. The boy, I don’t know. Won’t know until I can look him over.”

“God, that ain’t going to be enough Doc. Please don’t waste any time. I’ll need your help.”

“I’m doing the best I can Sheriff.”

As the Sheriff stepped out onto main street, His biggest fears were realized.

The dust was settling, Colonel Anderson was at the center of the main town square. With him was a burly black man with Sergeant Major stripes. He seemed as big, if not bigger than the horse he was sitting. On the Colonels other side was a young Hispanic boy. He was the direct opposite of the burly man. Not more than 5 foot and 100 lbs. He carried in his right hand a gleaming bugle. In his left, a 3-yard-long pike, topped with a diagonal red and white guidon. In the center of which a gold R had been embroidered. The butt of the pike was fitted into a bracket on the boy’s stirrup.

To the Colonels left and right, both directions of Main street held a double column of horsemen. To his rear was another double column of riders.

Not a sound was made, beyond the restlessness of the horses and the rattle of equipment.

The colonel leaned to the young boy, “Pablo, Scouts out if you please.”

“Yes Sir.” The boy raised the bugle to his lips, moistened them, and blew a military tattoo on the horn. Up and down the columns individual riders wheeled their mounts to the left and right and galloped out of sight behind buildings. Within minutes, Figures started appearing on rooftops up and down the main roads and in particular the town square. All of these men were armed with rifles that they carried at the ready.

The Colonel had spotted, and ignored the Sheriff as soon as he stepped out of the Doctors office. Not raising his voice, He asked, “Where are they?”

“The ladies are being tended by the Doc in his office Colonel. He says they’re unharmed, in shock, but will survive.”

A brief moment of relief crossed the Colonel face, quickly it faded. “The Boy?”

“In my office. I felt it best to put him into a cell, for his protection. He’s in bad shape colonel.”

Leaning back over to the young man, “Pablo, Sick call, if you please.” Again, the boy moistened his lips and blew on his bugle.

As the riders in the ranks heard the bugle, a murmur arose in the riders.

The burly rider on the other side of the colonel whirled his horse around and faced the columns. In a voice that expressed both anger and projected a demand for obedience, He bellowed, “SILENCE IN THE RANKS.”

From the center column a white painted, hardsided wagon with large Red Crosses centered on each side came galloping down. Pulling up to one side, the older man riding in the jumpseat asked “Where to Joshua?”

“In the jail, Wilson. His condition is unknown. The 2 ladies are in the physician’s office, being tended by him. I’ve met him. He seems competent. They are said to be ‘In Shock’ But expected to survive. I suggest you look to the boy first.”

The older man, followed by a younger man in a white smock, dismounted the wagon, they were followed by another from inside the wagon.

2 women, dressed in nurse’s smocks also dismounted and headed into the doctors’ offices. As the hurried on their mission, Wilson called out, “A welfare report as quick as you can Agnes, Thank You”

The older of the 2 called out. “Yes Doctor.” as they disappeared into the physician’s office.

The Doctor and his medics entered the jail, and Immediately the older man came back out. “Sheriff, How the bloody hell do you expect me to treat my patient when he is inside of a LOCKED GODDAMNED CELL?”

The colonel glared at the sheriff, and another murmur ran down the ranks. The burly rider didn’t correct them this time.

Hurrying into his office “My apologies doc, I felt it best at the time.”

Quickly the cell door was unlocked. The Doctor brushed past him, calling for his aides. When the Sheriff turned, He was face to face with the Colonel. “Really, Colonel, Believe me. I couldn’t be in two places at once and I thought the women needed me more than the boy. I locked him up to keep the mob away from him more than anything else. He isn’t under arrest or anything.”

The colonel brushed past the sheriff and approached where the doctor was tending his patient. “Doctor?”

“It ain’t good Joshua. I can’t tell about anything other than I hope. And I’m hoping a whole hell of a lot.”

“Very well Doctor, keep me updated as permissible.”

Turning to the Sheriff, “If you would, Sir, I require a report concerning the abuse that has been made on my people. 2 Women, 1 under 16 years. And a young boy, just past his 15th birthday.”

“Please Colonel, don’t blame the townsfolks. It appears that when your ladies and the young man were finishing their business with the shopkeepers, Well, the boy was dragged behind the saloon and 4 assailants started beating him. The 2 ladies tried to come to his rescue, but were also attacked. There was some question about the condition of the little girl. Her clothes had been torn during the melee. And she was unable to answer any questions. The boy was so badly beaten as to also be unable to answer questions. Because voices were being raised that the boy had assaulted the little girl, there was talk of a lynching. I thought it best to safeguard him in one of my cells until I could get better control of the situation. I’m at a loss as to how you heard about it so quickly.”

Ignoring his question, “And what about the true perpetrators? Why aren’t they in custody? Who and Where are they?”

“Colonel, I’m not sure, they were in town earlier and have disappeared since then. But the women aren’t talking and the Boy can’t”

“Sheriff, you are trying my patience. Either you have suspects, or you don’t. Which is it?”

“Well, and remember, I have no proof, I THINK it might have been Billy Jackson and his bunch.”

Before he could continue, the colonel turned and walked out of the jail.

“Pablo, Officers call, please”, “YES SIR” followed by a bugle tattoo.

From various points in all 3 columns, 12 individuals came galloping to the town square. Dismounting and gathering around the colonel, He quietly started talking. When the Sheriff tried to approach, he was intercepted by the burly Sergeant Major. “Apologies sir, this be a private conference. If the colonel wants you to know, he’ll tell you what you need to know.”

“Gentlemen, the 2 ladies appear to be alright. But we won’t know the full details until the surgeon can see to them. My desire is to get them back home as quickly as possible. Depending on the Surgeons recommendations. The boy has been badly abused. Again, I want our folk home and under our care. With young Hans, we may have to wait. Until he is ready to return, I want a security detail here. Sergeant Major, 8 of the best, if you please. 4 on, 4 off. Quarters in the livery. See Clive for details.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close