Sun Hair - Cover

Sun Hair

Copyright© 2019 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 2

In the years since Colonel Andersons riders arrived, many changes have happened in and around Wilkins. small farms and ranches Have popped up all over the territory. In Wilkins itself, dozens of new shops and businesses have opened up. Some were family oriented, such as the candy store and ice cream emporium. Expensive treats, enjoyed by all.

Some were much needed services such as the laundry. Which had been opened by a Mexican widow of advanced age. At first, she handled all of the required duties. But soon, as time and business advanced, several older women joined the workforce. It eventually became a center of activity. And as the prosperity of the region improved, so did the availability of disposable funds for luxuries such as clean clothes.

Surprisingly the widow, after hiring several of her friends and neighbors, continued on and opened a bakery. Of course, the first items on the menu were tortillas. Both corn and flour. But soon expanded to various breads.

Others were intended for a more select clientele, Such as Elizabeth’s Tea House. While tea could be purchased at Miss Utley’s. That wasn’t the main item on the menu. Lonely travelers from Virginia city to Flagstaff knew that a clean room could be had at Elizabeth’s Tea House, By the half or full hour. Or if you were really flush, the entire night. Of course, the price of the room also included a willing and comely young lady. Also available were several games of chance, such as Faro and Poker.

Of primary importance though was the Wells Fargo stage line. When Colonel Anderson arrived in Wilkins, The Wells Fargo company had already scheduled the discontinuation of the Wilkins run as a regular stop. This was due in part to the lack of passengers and freight coming to Wilkins. But more importantly was the increase of bandit activity. Both stages carrying pay and freight wagons carrying ore were being robbed on the various routes. These assaults dwindled to almost nothing when the Riders from the Anderson Hacienda started making patrols throughout the territory. Those patrols also contributed to the sense of safety felt by the small ranchers and farmers. It became a rare event for banditos or Comancheros to attack isolated locations. Especially when well-armed, combat trained riders had the upsetting habit of showing up, just when the fun started. Word spread though the criminal community to avoid the Wilkins region.

That same bandit activity had a negative effect on the mining operations in the area. Payrolls didn’t come in. And ore wagons couldn’t get out. Before Colonel Anderson’s arrival, most of the smaller operations had let their claims lapse. The larger ones, at first tried to buy up those claims. But without pay for the miners or ore going to the refineries, they too slowly choked to death.

But, as with all the other recoveries, the mining operations had a resurgence. The difference was that the new ownership of those claims and mines were local concerns with local owners.

An unfortunate result of peace is a relaxation of awareness. If a visit to town wasn’t considered dangerous, If the last 10 visits had been pleasant adventures, why shouldn’t this visit be the same.

It was with a sense of peace with the world that Linda Price and Susan Gibson. Both young members of the Anderson Hacienda. Planned a trip to town.

Linda’s husband had been a member of Colonel Anderson troop during the war. After Appomattox and the tragedy at Ford’s theater, they had reunited. But because of his wounds, He had succumbed to infections that were untreatable at the time. As the wife of a fallen comrade her membership with the regiment was unquestioned.

Susan Gibson and Hans Shelton were orphans. Their parents had been murdered by border raiders during the early phases of the war. Susan, the older of the two had done what was necessary for the pair to survive. It had been during the move westward that they had been accepted into Colonel Anderson’s family.

Orphans were not unknown in the regiment. And everyone did what was necessary to care for them. Those too young to care for themselves were adopted to couples. Those able to care for themselves, were assigned to a mentor. That person was a guiding force for those youngsters. Hans and Susan became Linda’s family, sort of. It was a relationship that built through acceptance and trust. It may not have been parental, but it was just as strong.

The long-standing order at the Hacienda was that anybody going into Wilkins had to be accompanied with an adult. That children and minors were not allowed passage outside of the Hacienda walls without Adult supervisor. When Linda and Susan planned their trip into Wilkins, they felt that they were complying with those orders. It didn’t really spoil their plans, which included a visit to the Ice Cream Emporium, When Hans heard what they were up to they, reluctantly, agreed to his accompanying them. His argument that they needed a protector was light heartedly accepted.

Now, As Susan’s younger brother, He saw it, not only as his right, but his duty, that he be included in this adventure. After all, the ladyfolk needed a protector. Besides Whoever heard of a girl driving a buckboard.

Hey, Give him a break. He was young and it’s the 1880’s.

When they arrived in town, everything seemed quiet and peaceful. Hans drove the team over to Clive’s livery stable and, with the watchful, amused and tolerant eye of Linda. Negotiated the stabling of their horse and buckboard for the day.

Linda knew that any offer from Clive would be honest and fair. After all he was a good friend of the Regiment.

What followed was an enjoyable adventure for the ladies. They spent hours picking through the selections in Gumbles emporium. Picking and choosing and asking each other for their opinion. Hans, bored and regretting his insistence on accompanying the ladies, was also asked his opinion for fabric, color, texture, cost, and a dozen other aspects of what, To Hans, was just cloth. Nothing more, nothing less.

Finally, To Hans’ relief, the ladies decided that the days adventure was concluded. That they needed to get back home. It was as they walked down the boardwalk, that life took a tragic and unexpected turn.

Linda and her group didn’t recognize the group of cowboys hanging outside the saloon. But Linda could see that whoever they were, that they were going to be trouble. It started with the cat calls that were made as they approached.

One of the cowboys was seated in a chair with his leg propped up on the railing. When Linda got to him, she said “Excuse Me.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close