Aftermath - Cover

Aftermath

Copyright© 2010 by Pedant

Chapter 2

After lunch we all sat facing the telly. We soon saw Kim Beazley rising to ask the first question: "Is my honourable colleague aware of the fact that a member of the CSIRO was fired upon by illegal Chinese immigrants in Western Australia this past weekend?" It went downhill from there. Beazley, after all, was from Perth. Howard attempted his (usual?) bluster and Beazley let Kevin Rudd level the next volley: "A member of the CSIRO who has volunteered his services to the Australian military, who was awarded a service medal by the Government and whose brave two-year-old told the world that his daddy had an 'owie'?" Rudd may have been unfair, but many backbenchers joined the opposition in crying: "Shame!"

Rob was in stitches. Weena was grinning. I felt embarrassed. Patrick, who was sitting on Weena's lap, looked puzzled. But it was politics and we were at the centre of it all. It was our 10 minutes of fame. I turned it off when the House went to a different topic.

The phone rang. Rob grabbed it. "No. Just a moment. She's right here." And he handed the receiver to Weena.

"Hello ... Oh, hi ... Yes, we were all watching ... Do you think he can? [laugh] ... Yes, you're most likely correct ... Can I call you back? ... Right."

Weena turned to me. "That was Sue. She wants you on. She thinks that your 'promise' no longer holds – you've been outed in the House – and you'll never find a 'friendlier' interviewer. I think she's right. And I think you go on wearing the dark blue suit with your arm in a sling and the PSM on your pocket."

"What do you think, Rob?"

"She's right. Anyway, what can they do to you? You've probably got 15 million Australians on your side. But call that boss of yours ... Kevin? ... first."

I got Janice. She told me that "everyone" was watching the parliamentary session, but that she'd buzz Kevin. He came on right away. I told him about Sue's call. "Go for it, Gordy! Go for it! Who'd be after you? Defence? Go for it! You're a hero!"

I got off and told Weena and Rob. They agreed with Kevin. Weena was already calling Sue. "He'll do it. When do you want him? ... Okay. We'll all be there. Can my dad come too? ... Yes, he was with Gordy ... Right. See you soon."

Rob remarked: "So you've got me in it, too, eh?"

"Right! I want you two to tell the tale of the week. True aussies on an adventure. Now both of you go and dress. Suits and ties." She took Patrick to be changed and dressed.

About 40 minutes later the four of us plus Sue and several technicians and "John, our producer" were in a studio. There were several semi-comfortable chairs, a sofa, a coffee table, and many microphones of various types and cables.

"John," said Sue, "Would you like to divulge our plan?"

"Well, it's not very devious. Just one sneaky element. But first, I want Sue to go around and introduce everyone. Then we'll begin with Mr. Scott. I understand that you got Gordy into this."

"Well, yes."

"You consult for BHP Billington? Right?"

"And others. But yes."

"So you got Gordy involved?"

"Yes."

"Okay. Now, Gordy. What were your thoughts?"

"On what?"

"On Rob's notion."

"Well, it was an adventure of sorts. And he said he needed a hand."

"So you went off to Dampier."

"Yes."

"And you met with some other people, one of whom was military."

"Right."

"And you were issued government equipment and then went off on your tour."

"Well ... sort of."

"And you reported in on a daily basis?"

"Yes."

"Do you have the radio-phone apparatus?"

"Yes." I took it out of my pocket. John looked at it, but didn't touch it.

"Okay. Let's all get comfy. You guys ready? Right. We'll start with Sue. Thank you all."

And we began taping.

"Good evening, this is Sue Carr. I know many of you watched Weena Hollister and her two year old Patrick here. Some of you may have watched Question Time today, where Prime Minister Howard was pressed on the issue. Tonight, Channel Seven has brought Weena and Patrick back, together with Gordy Hollister and Rob Scott, Weena's father. Mr Scott, let me start with you..."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close