Calculating Nemesis - Cover

Calculating Nemesis

Copyright© 2010 by Texrep

Chapter 8: Epilogue

Lily had not taken all her clothes with her when I made her leave, and her wardrobe was just as she left it. Her expression was wonderful to see as she ran her hands over the dresses and suits. One dress and one suit she picked out throwing them angrily on the floor.

"Those go in the rubbish." I had wanted to throw them away, but could never bring myself to open Lily's wardrobe. It would be like opening the box of sorrows. She replaced her cosmetics in the bathroom, although remarking as she did so. "I won't have use for them, but I am happy to see them back on this shelf. She stopped suddenly as she came out of the bathroom. "Chad. Would you prefer that I sleep in the spare room?"

"No I wouldn't." I replied firmly. "I want you back where you belong, sleeping with me. This is no halfway house situation. We will make it together or fail together. But I don't expect failure. As far as your make up is concerned, I am glad it is back on that shelf. I have had all too much space there for the last months. Every time I looked the empty space reminded me of the emptiness in my life. We will find a good cosmetic surgeon too, so you never know you may have use for them again."

Abbess Roding did not have such a thing as a take away food shop of any description, not even that British necessity the ubiquitous Fish and Chip shop. It was well into the evening when I got Lily back home, so I drove down to the pub and asked Bernard the landlord if he could plate up a couple of meals. I had dined there often over the months without Lily, and he was happy to do that. We sat down together for the first time in eighteen months. She was very emotional, but we enjoyed the meal. She washed the plates in the sink her hands submerged in the hot soapy water humming happily as she dried them and packed them back into the bag Bernard had lent me. For a while she wandered around the house, touching chairs, tables, ornaments. I watched fondly as she re-acquainted with these familiar surroundings, knowing that I was right to ask her to come home.

It was strange preparing for bed. We were both hesitant finding little last minute chores to address, postponing the moment fearful that the spark had flickered and died with the eighteen months apart. Yet when we did slip into bed I rolled towards Lily and she came into my arms so naturally that the time apart became insignificant. High emotions as we had experienced that day drained the body and we were both tired. Making love was not a priority, becoming a couple again was and holding each other tight was one way in which we could do that. Taking Lily in my arms as we snuggled into the warmth of our bed was one of the happiest times of my life. It was pleasure, contentment, and joy all served together as one emotion. Lily sighed heavily.

"Six hours ago I would have said that I would never enjoy my husband's arms around me ever again. Yet I am here and he is here and he is holding me as he used to. Six hours for my life to change completely. Thank you Chad. Thank you for being strong enough to forgive me. Thank you for loving me enough to overlook my ugly face. And thank you for just being you. My strength and support." I moved slightly and kissed her lips, silent tears were rolling down her cheeks. I licked them away. "They are tears of happiness, Chad my darling man. Happiness."

Work was placed on the back burner for a few days, as Lily and I re-connected in everyday life. I had made few changes in our house, just moving one or two ornaments and taking down pictures that had become a little too emotional for me to live with. Slowly, unobtrusively Lily found them. She didn't replace them where they had been before, she found another resting place. Without words she acknowledged that our previous life was gone and that we had to make a new one together, and she was helping to build that. We didn't go out in the village. Even with her hat and veil she was self-conscious about the injuries to her face.

When I did get back to work the message service had plenty for me to do. Frank had phoned a number of times and I returned his call as a priority. He was terse at first, berating me for not being there when he wanted to speak to me. Then his tone changed.

"I see that Lily is back." I shouldn't have been surprised he knew that. Frank has ways of keeping tabs on all those he considers useful to him.

"Yes."

"So you are human after all, Jes. I am glad to know that. Welcome to the real world. I hear that she had an accident."

"I wouldn't call it an accident."

"Why? what happened?" I smiled inwardly, Frank's information conduit was not as good as he thought.

"Some bastard threw acid in her face."

"Shit!" There was silence for a while. Frank had seen the photo I kept of Lily in my office and had often said he couldn't understand how I managed to get a woman as good looking as her.

"Who did it?" He asked eventually.

"I don't know. All she said was that he was a tall skinny bloke. I do have my suspicions about who wanted it done."

"The skinny bloke would be Harry Splash. He's the only evil little slime that would do that. I'll have words with him and find out."

"When you do, let me know."

"No Jes. Your way will not work now. You would balk at the punishment needed for this. You have been a mate for years and lots of people know that. I have to maintain respect. I can't have others thinking that they can do this to one of my friends and get away with it." Frank never spoke about the incident again. I knew he would not have forgotten it.

Having Lily home again soon became normal. At my suggestion she would drive me to the station in the morning and collect me in the evening. I did this so that she would have the freedom of the car during the day, but apart from shopping she wouldn't go anywhere. Mrs. Solby came in just once a week now as Lily insisted that she would do all the housework. I suspect that Mrs. Solby was surprised to see Lily back, though I gathered was pleased that she was. She was a garrulous soul and would regale anyone who cared to listen with all the gossip from the village, but to my knowledge never told anyone about Lily's face. Of course village life being what it was most inhabitants knew anyway. The garden fence network worked very efficiently. Lily didn't flaunt it but gaining confidence had walked to the village shop once or twice without her veil. I believe she told those who asked that she had an accident with hot cooking oil. We had connected physically now. A wonderful night when unplanned we made love. Clasped in each other's arms, slick with our perspiration damp upon each other after our mutual delight was a revelation. I had thought that one or both of us would feel restrained because of what had happened. Not so. There was nothing but love between us. Lily always liked to talk after making love; well she liked to talk at anytime. As we lay there recovering I anticipated some words from her. Surprisingly she was silent. Joking I asked if she had lost her tongue.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close