Gone Fishin'
Chapter 22

Copyright© 2010 by Pedant

I started to laugh when we got back downstairs: Charlie and I were wearing the suits we had worn to the US Consulate. But many guests had arrived, and I said hello to Maggie, was introduced to her husband and presented Weena to both of them. But we didn't get to talk, for we were surrounded by the "delegation" from among the Finke jackeroos. But it wasn't for long. Some folks from the Resort began herding the guests into the room and we just stepped aside. I could see that some flowers in pots and others in vases had been placed since we were there.

"Got the rings?" Weena whispered. I patted my pocket. Someone started a CD. Tompkins moved to behind the table with only a single sheet of paper. I felt someone next to me and saw it was Charlie.

"OK?"

"Betcha," he grinned.

"Let's go." And we were off.

The whole thing lasted about ten or fifteen minutes until Tompkins said: "By the power vested in me by the Town of Alice Springs and the State of the Northern Territory, I pronounce you husband and wife." And a very loud "Wahoo!" rang out, followed by a lot of cheering.

I turned to Charlie. "Did you ever imagine this when Weena spoke to you in that hotel lobby?"

"Not in a million years. I owe you guys everything. Everything."

"You take care of her."

"Yep. An' she'll keep me in line."

"Go and greet your guests."

Once everyone had greeted and congratulated the couple. I stood up and banged on a glass with a fork. It quieted down quickly. "I know you all want to get to really drinking, but I was the best man, so it's my job to make sure everything goes right. Weena and I have known Charlie longer than anyone here, and I want you all to know that he's a liar and a cheat. He's got a wife and three kids in the opal country and another wife near Cairns." By now Charlie was bright red and Maddy was laughing her head off. "But I know he ain't really too smart, so I've got him an instruction book." Weena held up a copy of The Joy of Sex. "But we knew that Maddy was a bit straight-laced, so we got her a book, too." Weena held up The Complete Illustrated Kama Sutra. Maddy was now as red as Charlie. "Now, we hope you both give those books a good reading. Careful study will make you real good at..." I let my voice trail off. The jackeroos were shouting suggestions of increasingly improbable activities. I lifted a hand. "But there's one ceremony left. If we could have a bit of space, please. And if the unmarried ladies would please go over there and Maddy, come here by me." There was a bit of shuffling. "OK. Now, Maddy face me and toss that bouquet over your shoulder." She did it, and the prize was caught by a pretty girl in a pink dress that was too small for her chubby frame. She flourished it as though it was the Melbourne Cup. I saw Jed, from Undoolya, looking very uncomfortable. "OK. That's it. Let's celebrate the happy couple!"

I chatted a bit with Sarah, Andy's mom, and then with Maggie.

"Who was that?"

"Kid's mom. We took him down to the station to work a bit. He seemed to enjoy himself."

"Which school is he in?"

"I dunno. Here in the Alice."

"Can you find out?" I looked around. Andy was standing near a punch bowl that I suspected had been spiked.

"Andy?" He looked up and I beckoned to him.

"Yes, Gordy?"

"Andy. This is Dr. Friedel. She runs the CSIRO office south of town."

"Howdy, ma'am."

"Hello, Andy. Gordy told me that you'd spent some time down on the Finke."

"Yes'm."

"Did you like it?"

"You bet. I took care of the cattle and the chooks and we saw the flood and Gordy rescued a dog."

"Sounds like a big adventure."

"Sure was."

"Where do you go to school?"

"Alice Springs High School, ma'am."

"Aren't you a bit young?"

"I'll be 16 in a few months. I just began a few months ago."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close