Gone Fishin' - Cover

Gone Fishin'

Copyright© 2010 by Pedant

Chapter 6

"I'm home!"

"I heard the car."

"Arranged things with the kids and I cowed the chairman."

"The twit at the cocktail party?"

"Yep. He began about committees and such, so I trumped him with the Minister's secretary and the dean. So now we've got the unused classroom next door. Shirl and Des are getting it cleaned out and cleaned up. And next week we'll get a partition and furniture. I gave Shirl $100 for bribes ... uh ... encouragement."

"Can you spend money?"

"Janice said up to $25K, but that I should keep the receipts."

"You'll have the most luxurious suite in town."

"I doubt it. Think what the bank managers and stock brokers have. Anyway, as Maddy and Charlie arrive tomorrow, I was wondering what we've got on the agenda."

"Tomorrow? They're coming tomorrow? Oh my God! I thought I had another week."

"Calm down. We've got enough bed linen and towels, right? And I expect you'll take Maddy shopping on Saturday. And I'm going to try to get Charlie a suit, two or three shirts, a tie, shoes, and socks. He can't look like a cowboy on Monday. By the way, where is the American consulate?"

Weena was at her laptop. "16 St. George's Terrace."

"Where's that?"

"Right where I work. Actually, about two streets from the Royal Perth."

"Great. So, what else do we need to do?"

"I need to clean!"

"It's clean."

"And we haven't thought about which room to put them in!"

"Sweetheart. Calm down. There are only two choices. The small room has a single bed. So they'll be in the bigger room with the bigger bed and the bath next door."

She got up and game me a kiss. We had a snack and spent about five hours "fixing things up."

"Will we both go to meet them?"

"Sure."

"When's the plane?"

"There's only one non-stop from the Alice to Perth. It's in the morning and gets here around 12:30 or so."

"This is so exciting!"

"I guess so. What's for dinner?"

"I took two steaks out to thaw. There's a lettuce and a cuke and some tomatoes. So, steak and salad."

"No 'taters?"

"No. You'll have enough of those when Charlie's here."

"Right."


In the morning, I realized that my bride was a hyper-active nine-year-old. Right after breakfast, she was ready to leave for the airport. I diverted her by asking about a trip to the supermarket. So we were off to the Supa Value. I also stopped to get more money from a cash point.

We drove home, put everything away, and it was barely 11. "Did you put towels in the powder room?" I asked. Weena ran off, but came back instantly.

"Of course."

"Come sit on my lap." She did, and we whiled away a half hour. "Now, go wash your face and fix your lipstick, and we'll be on our way."

We got to the airport without delay, parked the Rover in the "Official Vehicles" area, and strolled to arrivals, where the board revealed that the flight from Alice Spgs. would be a few minutes early. We went to the arrivals gate. Just before 12:30, it was announced that the flight from the Alice had arrived, and we could see the plane taxiing in. It stopped, the stairs were wheeled out and the doors were opened. A few people climbed down and then Weena clutched arm: "There's Maddy!" And right behind her was Charlie.

The girls shrieked and hugged while Charlie and I exchanged shoulder punches. "How've you bin?"

"Purty good. Workin' hard."

"Me too. You're looking good."

"Yeh. The boss makes sure of smokin' and drinkin'."

"Cut 'em out?"

"Jes' cut 'em down."

"You got checked baggage?"

"Maddy brought a ton; I've got my bag."

"Well, let's get to baggage claim. Girls, we're going to baggage claim."

They gave no indication of having heard.

"So, what have you guys done over the last month?"

"We rented a grader and spent a few days on that path we brought the cattle down. Then I had some of the men tear down that old house. The only thing we salvaged was the cast iron stove. The panels for the five bores have been ordered. And I'm gettin' about a call a week from that doctor-lady you introduced me to."

"How's that going?" We were at the baggage claim. "What's yours like?"

"Mine's the same bag. Maddy's got things that don't look alike an' are all different sizes."

We found Charlie's right away. Then a small sort of overnight case. It had Maddy's name on the label.

"Look," said Charlie, "You stay here with these two, and I'll work towards you from yonder."

"Good idea."

I built myself an island while Charlie walked to the other end of the bags. There were only about 20 left, as other passengers kept on reducing the backlog. Charlie picked up an enormous red bag and semi-dragged it over. "I think this one has mineral samples," he grinned. "Only one more." He dove back in. Just then the ladies appeared, still yapping non-stop.

"How come you just went off?" Weena asked.

"I said we were going to the baggage claim."

"Oh."

"And welcome to Perth, Maddy. Charlie said those two are yours. He's looking for a third."

"It's right there," she pointed. "Charlie! That one!"

We got a cart, loaded up, took it to the car, loaded up, I returned the cart. We all got in, the girls in back, still catching up.

"Weena suggested Italian for lunch. Is that okay?"

"Anything that'll keep my navel from my spine," said Charlie. My mobile rang.

"Hollister."

"I'm sorry to call, Gordy."

"It's okay, Shirl. What's up?"

"A Dr. Freedell from Alice Springs called. She's going to be in Perth from the 31st on and wondered when you'd be free."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close