Diane and the Copper
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2010 by Texrep

I returned to the hospital after a quick shower and shave at my flat. Diane had been transferred to the Intensive Care unit. I spoke to the Nurse in charge who questioned me as to my business there. UK Hospitals once had a reputation for very poor security and after some female patients had been sexually molested by casual walk-ins, tightened up their procedures. I explained who I was and showed her my Warrant Card as proof of identity. She was still unsure, saying that only the next of kin was allowed to visit in ITU.

"Her next of kin will not be allowed to visit." I told her. "It is he who is suspected of attacking her and has been taken into custody." That shocked her but she recovered quickly.

"Ok, so you are a policeman. Are you seeing her on police business or personal?"

"Personal. We have been friends for almost twenty years." Reluctantly she gave way.

"Oh well, I don't suppose there will be any harm in it. At least you are a Copper." Having thawed she told me that the bruises and trauma had been treated, her arm being re-set and put in a cast. Those injuries should not be a problem. The Jaw was just dislocated not broken. They were checking her blood pressure frequently. Should the spleen be damaged, low blood pressure would be one of the first symptoms. So far she said it was coming up normal. She told me I could see Diane for five minutes.

It is very difficult when you see the woman you love in pain. The acceptance of my love came as quite a shock to me. I had used the word 'love' to Diane but it was just a word now it went further, much further. It wasn't a conscious thought, it just happened as walked towards her cubicle, if I didn't have Diane in my life, I had no life! It was quite different to the love I had for Shirley, making me reflect. Had I actually been in love with Shirley? Perhaps not, else I may have fought harder to keep her. Diane had been with me all my adult life, tucked away in a compartment in my mind, waiting to come out whenever the circumstances needed her. Now she needed me and in many ways that was better, to be needed rather than need.

Diane was laying so still, her jaw bandaged tightly to prevent movement, drips draped down from plastic sachets into her left arm. Her right arm was plastered and the perpetual bleep of the monitor was the only sound. The nurse had told me that she shouldn't try to speak. I sat beside her and took her left hand in mine. At my touch she opened her eyes. She couldn't speak yet her eyes smiled, happy to see me. I leaned over and just touched my lips to hers.

"I love you Diane." She tried to move her mouth, but her jaw was bound quite tightly. Instead her eyes told me that she was delighted to hear that and that she returned the love. She squeezed my hand. There was little I could do yet the idea of not being there was unacceptable. I talked to Diane, not about the case and the possible charges Terry would face. Even now my training and knowledge of Judges Rules prevented me from going there as eventually Diane may have to give evidence. In the UK a wife could not be compelled to give evidence against her husband, but I believed she would if that was the only charge we could make. I hoped that Bob would find evidence of other crimes, then he would make those charges and leave the assault charge on file. Instead I talked to Diane, reminding her of the great times we had when we part of that group of friends and all the silly things that we did. She could manage a little smile to her lips and squeezed my hand a lot, letting me know that she was happy with the reminiscences. I mentioned the ritual of leaving the Pub, piling into our respective cars and taking off to a starting point in the country nearby. From that point we would always take a different route and alternate turns left then right, making bets as to where we would end up after twenty miles. I shouldn't have reminded her as she as attempting not to laugh as I recalled the time the car I was in ran out of petrol and we had to walk. There were no Filling Stations open at that time of night and it was eight miles home. I got home at four o clock in the morning. It was that point that the nurse came in and told me not to excite Diane too much. I stayed until Diane became tired and left promising I would be back. Her eyes followed me as I left. The nurse caught me as I left.

"I have put you on her records as close friend in lieu of next of kin. It was obvious that Diane wanted you there. Inspector Anderson, you said you were a friend, but her reaction tells me you are more than that."

"Yes. I think we are." She smiled.

"She is going to need you."

"I'll be there for her."

I phoned Bob the next morning to see what was happening. He was pleased.

"Got a result, Andy. Loads of forged Log Books, and Number Plates. He will have a lot of trouble explaining those. We are now following up on sales of cars. I am certain that we are going to find some dodgy ones. Unfortunately we had to let Bowden out on Bail on condition that he goes nowhere near his home which is a scene of crime. I have talked to John and if you go to see Diane today there will be a Plod there. I don't think that Terry will try to get at her, but you never know."

I went to see Diane, taking the chair beside her bed where I would remain as long as she was there. The policewoman relinquished her station in the room and made to leave. I stopped her.

"Julie. Have you had a break at all?"

"No sir."

I nodded. "Ok. Go and get yourself some breakfast. When are you being relieved?"

"It should have been when the relief came on." That would have been shortly after seven this morning. But it was now ten o' clock. Usual cock-up. No one from the early shift had been detailed to come to the hospital.

"After you have had something to eat; get back to the factory and sign off. I'll phone the duty Sergeant and get someone down here. Put in for overtime I'll sanction it. Will four hours cover you?"

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close