Wizard Gone Wild - Cover

Wizard Gone Wild

Copyright© 2010 by aubie56

Chapter 2

Luckily for Sam, out of all the wizards, there was one who was skilled at telekinesis (TK). This one he asked to hang around. Sam dismissed the wizards and asked Agar, "Wizard Agar, nobody had mentioned where I'm to spend the night. Do you happen to know where that would be?"

"Oh, sorry. I forgot to mention it. Your quarters will be situated next to Princess Olena's apartment. She asked for you to be placed there, if you don't mind."

"Great! Thank you. Now, I need to find a place to set up my headquarters. Can you help me do that?"

"Certainly, what sort of place do you have in mind?"

"I need a tall tower where I can see the entire city and the surrounding contryside. Is there such a place that would be available?"

"There are several possibilities. Would you like to look at them, now?"

"Yes, I would. I have a feeling that we don't have a moment to waste. Please take me there."

Agar mumbled something and FOOOM!. There it was, again. That strange noise and the momentary feeling of vertigo. Agar and Sam were suddenly standing on a balcony high above the city. This was exactly the view that Sam wanted. The balcony extended entirely around the tower, and there was a room inside the tower which would serve as an office and CP. "This is exactly what I need, Wizard Agar. Who do I see about borrowing it?"

"Don't worry about that. This is my tower, and you may use it as long as you like. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

Sam grinned and said, "Yes, you can tell me how the hell I can get down. I don't see any stairs."

"Shit! I forgot that you don't do regular magic. Suppose I conjure a flying carpet for you that will take you any where you want to go."

"That would be perfect, if you make it respond to voice commands."

Agar nodded and mumbled again. PUFFF! Sam was standing on a rigid platform that was covered by an ornate carpet. Sam ordered, "Up six inches." The carpet raised itself 6 inches off the floor and hung there. "Wizard Agar, this is perfect. But what if I start to fall off?"

"You can't fall off. You are surrounded by a field of force which will release you from the carpet only when it is stationary on some suitable supporting surface. Give it a try. Try to step off onto the floor."

Sam walked to the edge of the carpet and tried to step onto the floor. He hit some kind of barrier that was totally unmoving. He ordered, "Back to the floor," and stepped off the carpet with no difficulty. He applauded Agar, who bowed in acknowledgment. "Can the carpet take me somewhere I have never been before, such as my new apartment?"

"Yes, it can. The carpet has many abilities you will probably never need, along with some you most surely will need. For example, you are immune to magical or physical attack as long as you are supported by the carpet. The carpet has a voice it can use to answer questions. It has a limited intelligence you can use as a knowledge resource. Step on it, and lift off the floor. Once airborne, ask it a question."

"OK ... Rise 6 inches ... How high are we from the ground?"

"We are 743 feet, 11 inches from the immediate ground level, and we are 952 feet 3 inches from mean sea level," answered a voice seemingly from out of the air.

"Thank you, Carpet."

"You are welcome, Master."

"I am embarrassed, Wizard Agar. That young wizard with the TK ability that I asked to wait after the other wizards had left, what is his name? And is he still there?"

"Yes, he is still waiting as you ordered. He has taken the name of "Teekay."

"In that case, I should return to him and apologize for my rudeness. Would you care to join me for supper, or do you have other things you need to do?"

"I must beg off for now. In fact, I am late for an appointment. Please excuse me." FOOOM! and Agar was gone.

"Carpet, take me to Teekay, so that I can apologize." The carpet rose from the floor and zoomed off at a remarkable speed toward a group of buildings. It entered through a doorway and deposited Sam next to Teekay.

"Wizard Teekay, please forgive me my rudeness for abandoning you that way. I am so excited by the prospects offered by your people that I sometimes forget my manners."

"Master Wizard Hanks, there is no need to apologize to a lowly wizard like me! I am at your disposal."

"May I call you Teekay? Please call me Sam."

"Yes, sir, Wizard Sam. I will be honored every time you say my name."

"OK, Teekay, I don't need a lot of flattery. In fact, it makes me suspicious. Where I come from, flattery generally means that somebody is about to steal something from you. So let's just keep it to Teekay and Sam. Now, I am not able to do the common magic that your people are so capable of, so I need an assistant who can do some of those things for me. Are you interested in the job?"

"Yes, Sam, I would be pleased to be your assistant. If you need magic and I can't do it, I am sure that I can find someone who can."

"Great, that's exactly the attitude I'm looking for. Please come with me, and we'll work out the details of your employment." They both stepped onto the carpet, and Sam said, "Carpet, please take us to my new apartment."

"Yes, Master."

A few minutes later, Sam and an awestruck Teekay stepped off the carpet at a sumptuous apartment that apparently had several suites. Sam spotted a bell-pull and gave it a sharp tug.

A man of indeterminate age stepped into the room and said, "How may I serve you, sir?"

Sam smiled and said, "Well, you can start out by telling me your name and your job description."

The man smiled back and said, "My name is Harris, and I am your major domo. It's my job to look after your needs while you are in residence here in the palace."

"Excellent, Harris. You can start out by calling me Sam. I am much more comfortable that way. Second, I would appreciate it if you could find us some coffee. Third, how long before supper?"

"Very well, Sam. I don't know what coffee is. Perhaps we know it by another name. The princess has asked that you dine privately with her in about 45 minutes."

"Oh, Shit! I can't see the princess until I have had a shower. Also, I'd like to change clothes. Are those two things possible?"

"I presume that a shower is some form of bath. I will have a bath drawn for you immediately. We do have clothes for you, but they are not exactly of the type you are wearing. I hope that they will be acceptable."

"Thank you, Harris. One more question. By the way, this is Wizard Teekay. Unless he has some place he had rather be, can you find some place for him to stay in this apartment complex and find something for him to eat. Teekay is my personal assistant until further notice."

"Certainly, Sam. I'll take care of those items as soon as I can get your bath started."

Teekay was just saying to Sam that he would very much like to move in here when Harris returned. "Please follow me, Sam. Your bath is ready." Sam followed Harris to a room with a pool as large as many backyard swimming pools. "There are the soaps, shampoos, etc. I hope you enjoy your bath."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close