Interesting Times - Cover

Interesting Times

Copyright© 2011 by Ernest Bywater. All rights reserved

Chapter 11

Sunday

The day starts as most Sundays do now. Around ten thirty things change when two people walk in to speak with Matt. He recognises the faces but he can’t remember where from until the first introduces herself as his local state member of parliament and the man as the member for one of the Sydney electorates who’s also the current party leader for the government; the party leader isn’t always the premier because it’s more of a party management position. They’ve a short talk about how happy the local member is for what he’s doing to help the local economy with the new businesses and the building of St Matthew’s Manor.

She smiles wider when Matt says, “I’ve some other land I want to do medium density residential housing on, but it’ll overload the current sewage treatment plant. So I want to build a new one able to handle more than the current one. As the council hasn’t got the funds for it now I’m offering to build it and let them pay it off over a decade or so. Is there any state or federal funding I can apply for to help with this?”

The man with her replies, “Yes, there are a number of federal and state grants you can apply for to help with that! Tomorrow I’ll have one of my staff send you the information on them all. In some cases you can get money from more than one of them provided you end up funding more then half of the project. You can also get some tax deductions each year for the money not yet paid by the council or the grants.”

“Thanks. I’d appreciate all of that information because it’ll make the funding a lot easier and get it done quicker.”

“Matt, I came down to speak to you about this court case.” He stops when Matt frowns, then continues. “The Premier and the Police Minister have the numbers in the party to maintain their positions within the party and be renominated at the election due soon. The polls all show we’re likely to be re-elected, even if this drags out in the courts to well past the next election. So, no matter what, they’ll retain their positions. In that situation is there any point in keeping this going if we pay you a good compensation from the state coffers?” Matt can see his local member isn’t happy, but she nods agreement with his analysis.

Matt sighs before he replies, “So the official party policy is to delay the court case while supporting them and spinning the media! Are they also going to falsify the records so they won’t match the copies I have?” The man doesn’t change his expression. Matt turns to his local member, “I need to speak to George in private, can you please wait outside for a moment?” She nods yes and she leaves the room to visit the children in the wards; and she’s followed by the others when Matt looks at them.

Once all leave and the door is shut Matt says, “George, you need to talk to those in charge of your party. There’s no way those two will be taking their seats in the house after the next election!” He holds up his hand when George goes to speak. “Oh, I know you can probably spin the media to get what you want. However, there’s no way they can be elected if they don’t get out and go to public functions as part of their campaign. Nor can you seat a corpse in the house. Mum and Dad had some very good friends who’ll happily shoot them both.” George is shocked by this. “I don’t need to ask them to do it. In fact, I’m having a lot of trouble stopping them from doing it. The only reason those two are still alive is because I’ve told the people concerned I want them alive and broken. I want them to have the mental suffering of being out of power. The moment it looks like they may skate on this my ability to keep them from being shot ends. Nominating for re-election will be a clear indication they’re going to get by this so the others will act. This is not a case of me doing anything since it’s a case of me not taking action to stop it. Some of the people concerned are experts at this and will get to them. So, no matter what happens, those two won’t be re-elected. It’s a case of either they stay safe and get slaughtered in the booths or they go out and you have to organise a replacement mid-campaign.”

George looks stunned for a moment. “Damn, and what if we have the police arrest everyone who may do this?”

“You could try that. But how will having a few thousands people arrested and detained on the off chance they may shoot two of your party go down with the electorate. You can be sure when you start that Gran and I will pound you in the media by saying why it’s happening. You do realise you’ll have to check everyone they went to school with, and that’s a lot of people with many of them from influential families. The best you can do is to hand over the documents and crucify them.”

“If what you say is true, then you’re right! But I can’t just accept your word on this.”

Matt lies there and thinks for a moment. With a shake of his head he makes a decision he’s not happy with. “George, due to an incident in my past some senior people in the Hell’s Angels have wanted me dead for a couple of years. Recently the risk to me increased a lot. One of the people who owed Dad their life found out about this higher risk a couple of weeks back. I didn’t know about it until after they took action, but the two senior Hell’s Angels who were a danger to me were killed a week ago. A few other not nice people were also killed to confuse the other Hell’s Angels club members so they won’t know who the prime targets were. I didn’t have to ask for anything. It happened when they found out about the risk from other sources. Now the Victorian Police have nothing to identify who did it or why, want to bet our state police can do better? You don’t have to ask the Police Commissioner to show you the file on why they want me. In fact, he can’t because it’s sealed by a court order. However, I can give permission for the local District Commander to show it to you so you can know I’m telling the truth.”

George thinks for a moment, and nods yes. Matt uses his phone to call Superintendent Steve Smith’s private phone to explain he’s sending George over to see him with permission to read the file on the shooting at the school. George leaves a few minutes later, and Matt spends more time talking to his local member about his developments before she leaves. The rest of Matt’s day goes as usual for a Sunday now.


George soon arrives at the local police station and he’s met by Steve. They go to Steve’s office where Steve brings the file up after explaining it’s highly confidential and George is only getting to see it because Matt gave his permission. George is shocked by what he reads, but he now understands why some senior Hell’s Angels are after Matt. However, he’s still concerned about the recent Melbourne shooting. Was it done to protect Matt or is Matt just taking advantage of the fact it occurred. In the end George decides they can’t risk it being a matter of coincidence because deaths during the campaign will ensure they lose the election.


Griffith, New South Wales

In a large winery just outside the city of Griffith, New South Wales, Mario Brindisi, the owner of the winery, is talking to his youngest brother Eduardo. “Ed, I need you to go to Rivers and speak to a young man for me. As you know we’ve lots of money in trusts requiring the approval of a state approved trustee and me as manager to withdraw money from the trusts!” Ed nods yes because he helped set the system up. “Well, the trustee, Jacobs, is held in custody in Rivers for assaulting a young man in hospital. The magistrate denied him bail because he’s seen as a real threat to the complainant. While he’s locked up he can’t access the accounts to approve any withdrawals and we almost lost a few deals this week because of that. As it is it’s cost us a lot of time and money to make other arrangements to pay some big bills we planned to pay from the trusts. We need Jacobs out so we can do business as normal. Go talk to this Matthew Dyer and have him drop the charges against Jacobs. Offer him a few hundred thousand if you have to. It’s cost us more than that to not have access to the money. So do what’s needed to get Jacobs out of the cells and back at his desk!”

“OK, Mario. Consider it done. I’ll get this fixed, one way or another. I’ll drive down to Rivers tonight and I’ll see Matthew Dyer tomorrow.”

The two talk on a few other matters about their business empire before they leave the office to have lunch. Just after lunch Eduardo gets in a car and heads to Rivers with a chauffeur, his executive assistant, and a personal bodyguard.


Week Six

Monday starts as a normal weekday for Matt. However, it changes at nine thirty when Eduardo Brindisi walks in with his bodyguard and assistant. His casual approach is non-threatening so Matt’s guards just watch and wait, as per their orders as they aren’t to look like guards.

Brindisi walks over to the bed and asks, “Are you Matthew Dyer?” Matt nods yes. Eduardo holds his left hand out as he says, “Eduardo Brindisi. I’ve got a favour to ask of you, if I can?” Matt shakes his hand and waves for him to continue. Ed takes a comfortable stand on the left of Matt’s bed as Ed’s bodyguard moves to stand opposite him while facing the doorway and the executive assistant stands at the end of the bed. “My brother and I have a few businesses that make a lot of money. We keep some of the profits in a very high interest fund that’s managed by an accountant. But we have a problem because only the accountant can move the funds about and he’s currently locked up. We’d like you to drop the charges against Jason Jacobs. We’ll even pay you a hundred thousand dollars compensation to do so today.”

Matt just stares at him for a moment. Shaking his head no he replies, “I take it you know Jacobs attacked me and he’s made several threats!” Ed nods yes. “I’m sure he’ll try to carry those threats out. If you can promise he won’t carry out those threats, prove to me you can keep that promise, and pay me ten million dollars in compensation, I’ll drop the charges.”

A stunned Eduardo responds, “We can keep him in line. But that’s too much to pay, way too much!”

“Ed, this bullshit with Jacobs has cost me a hell of a lot of time and trouble while it diverted me from running my own businesses. I figure he’s already cost me several million dollars due to me not being able to pay proper care to my own business empire. Hell, my first contact with him was due to one of my staff making enquiries to buy Jacobs’ business from my petty cash account. I figure ten million dollars is a low price for these troubles.”

While shaking his head in wonder Ed pulls his cell phone out of his pocket and he hits the speed dial for his brother so he can talk this over with him. It’s a lot being asked, but less than they can otherwise lose.

Just when Ed starts to speak a uniformed Mace walks into the room so he can to talk to Matt about something. He sees Ed’s bodyguard at the side of Matt’s bed and he reaches for his handcuffs while saying, “Ben Bailey you’re under arrest for assault causing grievous bodily harm.”

All in the room turn to look at Mace, except the bodyguard. Bailey’s left hand flies inside his coat and returns with an automatic pistol in it. As soon as Bailey’s hand moves Mace’s hand starts reaching for his own handgun. However, Bailey’s gun is out and tracking before Mace even gets his hand on his. Bailey’s hand stops when his gun is pointed at Mason. Bailey smiles when he starts to pull the trigger. This is all happening so fast nearly everyone else is still trying to make sense of it.

When the actions starts Matt leans forward and reaches for Bailey’s left arm with his own right arm. He grabs the coat sleeve and he moves his body backward, thus keeping his forearm straight while he pulls Bailey’s left arm more to the left and out of line with Mace’s body.

The gun in Bailey’s hand fires four times in rapid fire while Matt is pulling on it. Because Matt is pulling on the arm while Bailey fires the bullets move further left with each squeeze of the trigger. The first round flies out the doorway and into the door of the storeroom opposite, missing Sergeant Mason by millimetres; they later find a tear in the side of his shirt where the bullet tore the cloth while just missing him. The second round is fired as Mace draws his own weapon, this bullet strikes the left chest of Eduardo Brindisi. The third round hits Ed in the sternum just as Mace’s gun comes up. Bailey’s fourth round and Mace’s first round sound like one shot when they fire together. Ed takes this bullet from Bailey in his right chest. Mace’s bullet hits Bailey and he staggers back. The coat slips out of Matt’s fingers when Bailey moves backward. Mace fires again on seeing no blood and the way Bailey reacts to the hit as Mace now knows Bailey has on body armour, so Mace’s second shot is to Bailey’s face to make him lose interest in all things due to having his brains sprayed over the wall behind him.

The room is quiet, except for the sound of Mario Brindisi shouting on Ed’s cell phone while he demands to know what’s happening. After a moment’s pause movement breaks out. Ed’s assistant moves to a chair and he sits down while getting his cell phone out. Mason is slow to put his gun back in its holster while using his other hand to activate his radio to report an officer involved shooting. Monica enters the room to check for Ed’s pulse while the rest sit and stare at the scene.

The police are quick to arrive. Scene of crime technicians gather evidence while detectives take statements from all of the witnesses. Ed’s assistant tells Mario what happened and how it came about; making Mario very angry his favourite brother is dead. The requested amount of compensation is passed along and refused by Mario.

It takes until lunchtime to clear everything away and clean up. The rest of Matt’s day progresses as usual, except for the addition of a visit by the trauma counsellor to speak with all involved except Mace and Ed’s assistant. The police have their own counsellor and the assistant left to go back to Mario as soon as the police let him go.

Sydney

George is in a series of meetings with senior party power brokers to talk about the ramifications of his visit to see Matt. Many are stunned and shocked by the information the two are likely to be assassinated if they get off the court cases. Deals are brokered, arrangements made, and orders are given. The Departmental Secretaries get orders to give the wanted information for the Freedom of Information requests today. The last two people George speaks to are the Minister of Police and the Premier. In a meeting with them both he explains they need to give up the fight and go quietly for the benefit of the party. They aren’t happy, but they finally agree to it after confirming they’ve lost all party support.

Griffith

Mario Brindisi is in a meeting with some special people who work for him, plus a couple of his most trusted and senior people. “Eduardo is dead. He took that idiot Bailey with him to Rivers. A local cop knew Bailey by sight and went to arrest him for a very old matter from up Grafton way that’s unresolved. Bailey went for his gun and a shoot out occurred. Bailey had the drop on the cop but the boy Ed was there to see grabbed Bailey’s arm and pulled. The result is Bailey shot Ed three times in the chest before the cop blew Bailey’s brains out. Bailey had on body armour so the cop’s first shot didn’t stop him. If it had Eduardo would likely not have been shot. Although Bailey pulled the trigger I want this Matthew Dyer dealt with for interfering, and the cop as well because nothing would have happened except for him challenging Bailey.” Those in the office all nod yes. “I don’t want this to come back on us so get some freelance professionals to do this. After this I figure they may put some guards on this Matthew Dyer. So have who you get check it out and give me a price first. I want to know when it happens so I can be seen to be elsewhere at the time.” More nods before those who need to take action stand and leave when he dismisses them.

When they walk out of the winery the men from the meeting discuss the situation, and they aren’t aware of the workers on the other side of the vines listening while two of the men talk of what’s planned.

Later in Griffith

That night one of the winery workers sends an email with what he heard to his real boss in the AFP Criminal Intelligence Unit in Canberra.

Dominoes

The next morning is when Superintendent Hall reads his emails, and he becomes very worried. He calls Superintendent Smith and tells him of the intelligence. Smith decides to forward the information to Matt in a quiet visit because he’s very worried about it.

Matt gets an email about government grants and he sends it to Dot.


Tuesday

Just after breakfast Matt is visited by Superintendent Smith and he’s told about the threat to his life by Mario Brindisi. Matt waits for Steve to leave before calling a number in his personal phone book.

“Hey, Mate, got a moment to talk?” Matt asks.

“Sure, what’s up?” Because Matt didn’t use a name on the cell phone he isn’t. It’s a good security precaution due to cell phone scanners being used by many people for many reasons; and most people find juicy stuff while looking for something on someone else.

“I’ve got an interesting situation you may be able to help me with if you will, and if you have the time to fit it in! You may wish to check the local news and follow the family links west to locate the trouble. I want you to act for me and talk tough to stop them coming this way, please.”

“No worries, Mate, we can adjust our trip. I’ll check it out and see if we can talk them out of making it a major court case.”

“Thanks for that. I’ll see you the next time you’re down this way, OK?”

“Yeah, see you then, Mate.” They both hang up.


Decoding the Clues

Two people are sitting down having a quiet cup of coffee while the man puts his cell phone away.

Frenchy asks, “That sounded odd, who was it, Bingo?”

“Matt Dyer. He wants us to look into something and stop some trouble headed his way that’s just come up. He said to check out the local news and to look for the trouble coming from family links to the west of where he is. I don’t quite get it, Frenchy.”

She smiles at him while she turns to the computer with their Internet access and she starts to check the news from the city of Rivers. In a moment she finds the news flashes about Eduardo Brindisi, so she does research on him. A little later she says, “Well, here’s part of it. The favourite younger brother of a Griffith crime boss and his bodyguard were shot and killed yesterday morning while trying to do a deal with a person in the Rivers hospital. Want to bet they called on Matt?”

“No bet. If some pushy criminal picked on Matt he’d rip their head off, or something similar, no matter how hurt he is. I guess the trouble is coming from the brother?”

“The Brindisi crime boss in Griffith is known for violent retaliation. The reporters wonder about what he’ll do to the people he feels are the cause of his brother’s death. I bet Matt would like protection from this guy in Griffith, Mario Brindisi, sending killers his way. If that’s the case we’ll have to take Mario out of the picture, and very soon.”

“I’m worried, does Matt really know what he’s asking of us?”

“Yes, he does. A few years back you were out of the country when he caused a shoot out between police and some Hell’s Angels because he stopped them from kidnapping some kids by bashing the shit out of their lead man. He got creased while acting as a human shield for one kid. I spoke to him about it later, and I found out he knows violence is sometimes needed for the protection of people. And it was he who warned me, through you, to look into what Bertram had been doing. He knew what I’d do when I found out. Bob raised Matt to be a practical and pragmatic person who knows how things go in life.” Bingo gives a slow nod in reply.

While they prepare the big camper bus for the drive to Griffith they start talking about what they’ll have to do about this matter. They talk for the seven and a half hours and two pit-stops it takes them to drive from Canberra to Griffith. They cover the many possibilities they can think of that may come up, but they agree nothing can be finalised until they find out what things are like in Griffith.


The Rest of the Week

The rest of the week passes with little happening outside the normal daily work for most. Nadia is extremely busy working on the plans and information Matt wants. Dot and Paul are busy in Sydney setting up the new Dyer Services Construction Division. Serge and the other builders are all hard at work on St Matthew’s Manor. Matt and his extended family do their studies, schooling, and other usual activities. Max is told about the Brindisi threat, and he upgrades security around Matt.

The police in Rivers and Griffith keep a closer eye on Brindisi and his people while a couple of very senior police officers wonder when the other shoe will drop. They know it’s in the air but they can’t see it, so they’ll worry until it does hit the floor.

The Rivers Inn Motel

Wednesday afternoon four men check into a ground floor room and they get organised to find out all they can about one Matthew Dyer and what he may have in the way of security. As he’s in the hospital they work out various errands they can do to justify trips to the hospital.

Half an hour later two undercover AFP detectives book in and they get a room directly across the courtyard from the room the four men are in. This way they can easily see when they leave while not being obvious about watching them.

Griffith

Brindisi and his men carry on with business as usual for their many and diverse business activities, legal and otherwise.

Sydney

A group of state politicians are preparing media reports to deal with a turn around of their position on a very hot issue. Each day a new release with a minor change is given out, so the media wonder what’s happening because they can see the slow change in the general tone.


Griffith Gathering

Frenchy and Bingo arrive in Griffith late on the Tuesday after they leave Canberra. Their earlier investigation into Mario Brindisi told them a lot about him, including the location of the vineyard he uses as his residence and main centre of operations. It’s easy to find on Google Maps, and the terrain shows it’s in the middle of a flattish area.

It only takes them one drive by with another hour of checking to know there are only three places where they can see what’s going on inside the Brindisi compound without being in it. The closest is the roof of an old building about five hundred metres from the house while the best is a hill about two kilometres away as it’s in line with the building but about triple the height. The building is rejected as it looks to have a very restricted view into the compound while offering a good view of the entrance. The hill has a good view into the compound itself as well as the entrance, so they choose that one to watch what’s going on in the compound because the third hasn’t as good a view of the target areas.

They set up camp in a small park area behind the hill and take up an observation point just below the crest of the hill. They’re too good to set up on the crest and be seen. Their observations on Wednesday and Thursday make it clear Brindisi is very security conscious and he’s not giving anyone much chance at him. He spends most of his time in his office behind what they think looks like protected glass. When he leaves he goes out in a large armoured vehicle. Friday is more of the same, but with some activity around the public side of the compound. This is a working vineyard and it’s having a special public event the next day.

Saturday morning sees the two on the hill again. Today they have a reason to smile. It’s a bright sunny day and the staff are setting up a large table in the enclosed courtyard at the back of the house. It looks like a big group of visitors for lunch, and that means they may have a chance to do what they need to do. Frenchy keeps watch as Bingo goes back to the bus for a few special accessories. He’s back in a few minutes.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close