Flames of Life
Chapter 04

Copyright© 2015 by Ernest Bywater

Next Week

As per the hospital doctrine Ernie is taken to the front entrance in a wheelchair after he finishes with the admin staff. He stands and walks to the nearby taxi rank. The trip home is quick, and he gets out.

He has several letters to deal with when he checks his mail. Once in his apartment he takes time to go through and deal with his mail while making a light snack and a hot drink. Next is the computer to check his email, with several he replies to. He has no phone messages to answer because both his house and cell phone services have no message or text services on them. To Ernie a phone is for voice communication only.

A call to Will results in arrangements for Ernie to travel to Rivers on Wednesday so he can spend time with Will on Thursday before they go to visit the farm on Friday. Just as they’re finishing Ernie says, “Will, can you get the required papers organised for me to change my legal name from Ernest Major Mount Wells to just Ernest Major Mount? I’d like to sign them and file them while I’m down there.”

“Sure! I can do that. But it would go faster if done in Sydney.”

“I figure having you do it makes it easier for you to know how it’s going. Also, it means the official entry is down there and not up here. A serious event up here last week means it’s better for me to change my name and not have the record show as a Sydney one. Some members of a dangerous street gang attacked me on Thursday. I’ve been in hospital until this morning, but the three of them went to the morgue. My name is on the police record as Ernie Wells, so that’s what the gang will be looking for if they want to make an issue of it.”

“Riiight!! I’ll get onto it. I take it I’m your solicitor from now on.”

“Correct! I’ll sign the papers and pay a retainer when I see you down there. There will be a few things here to tidy up I’ll leave in the hands of my current solicitor here and then I’ll have a clean cut between the two identities. You’ll start me out as Ernie Mount and he’ll close me out as Ernie Wells. Thus, no obvious paper trail between them.”


To Rivers

Wednesday Ernie is up early to get ready to reach the bus terminal in time. He has to take a train from Telopea into Strathfield to get on the intra-state bus service to Rivers he’s booked onto. He packs light but he has his notebook computer, tablet, and his staff, but he’s leaving his cane behind. After a light breakfast he’s off to the railway station.

When he reaches the bus the driver gives the staff a hard stare when Ernie hands over his backpack to go into the storage area. Before the man speaks Ernie says, “When I booked the ticket I told the office of my need to have the staff with me. They said it was OK but it limited what seat I’d have. I expect they’ve got me in the first or last row of seats.”

The driver frowns for a moment, then he says, “That explains why they have the ‘Reserved’ sign on the seat just behind me. Normally this run is first in best dressed. But with you in the seat behind me you can rest the staff in the corner and be out of the way. Why do you need it?”

“A few years ago I lost the use of the back of my left thigh muscle in an industrial accident and now my left leg can’t take my weight or lift me up or lower me. I use the staff to help me up and down stairs. I also have a cane I use some of the time, but the deeper stairs on the bus dictates I use the staff with the extra length and the better grip. That way I won’t fall. This is better for me and for you.” The man nods agreement as he waves Ernie onto the bus while he takes luggage from the other passengers arriving.

Only a few passengers are on the bus when Ernie gets on while using the staff for support as he climbs the steps. The window seat behind the driver has a ‘Reserved’ sign on it and an older lady is sitting in the aisle seat. Ernie says, “Excuse me, Ma’am. Would you mind standing for a moment so I can get into the corner seat and out of the way.”

The lady frowns but does as he asks, and her expression changes as she watches the way he has to get seated. Ernie reaches in with the staff, sets it on the floor, takes a double handhold, and hops most of the way to the seat while using the staff as a secure balance point. After landing on his right foot he turns and takes his weight on his arms while he lowers himself into the seat. Once he’s in the seat the lady takes her seat.

Ernie sets the staff leaning forward into the corner and up against his right leg. He slips the shoulder bag with his computer and tablet onto the floor beside his leg as well.

When he’s settled the lady says, “My name’s Anna. At first I thought that staff was for some game or something. But I see you need it to get around! What’s wrong, if I may ask?”

Holding out his right hand Ernie says, “Hello, Anna. I’m Ernie. My left thigh muscle is destroyed and useless due to an industrial incident a few years ago, thus my leg won’t take any weight. The doctors offered me the choice of removal of the leg high or having a useless leg hanging about all of the time. I felt removal was too much. Also, there was a real danger with the high amputation. So I’ve got a useless leg, except heavy rehab has given me some use of the lower leg and foot. I look fairly normal most of the time. However, it does give me a mobility issue, and that’s where the staff and a cane come in handy. The person who made them for me makes things for people who go to renaissance fairs and for people who do cosplay stuff. So he decided to make me a fancy staff and cane to suit me. Until I got hurt I was a fire-fighter, thus the theme of a pillar of fire for the staff, and the cane is the same but smaller.”

“Well, Ernie, they’re definitely striking and they stand out. I hope you won’t think I’m rude when I spend a lot of time talking to my friends across the aisle.”

“No, Ma’am. You don’t need to keep me busy. Any time you want to talk I’m happy to do so. But when you’re talking to your friends I can do some work on my computer. I’ve got a long ride to Rivers so I came prepared to keep busy during the ride.” She smiles and turns to talk to her friends across the aisle in the front row while Ernie gets his computer out to work on it. He’s soon buried in the story he’s writing.

On the trip down there’s a mid-morning snack break and a lunch break. Both at franchised fast-food outlets along the highway. In each case Ernie is the last person off the bus and the first person back on. However, he makes things easier for himself by asking the driver to get him a meal deal and giving him enough money to get something for himself too, while Ernie goes to the toilet.

Mid-afternoon Ernie is getting down off the bus outside the hotel he’s booked into. He chose this hotel because the bus stops outside of it. He’s one of several people getting off here so he waits for the others to get their luggage before getting his and going into the hotel. After a short wait for another passenger to book in Ernie is booking in as well.

A few minutes later he’s in his room and making a phone call to the local Community Health Centre. In a moment he’s talking to the woman whose name he was given by the hospital staff on Monday, and Ernie says, “This is Ernie Wells, I was told you’ll have a name and number of someone who can work for me as a nursing assistant for a few hours for each of the next few days. Can you please contact the person and have them call me. I’m in Rivers and booked into the Australian Hotel, room fourteen. I need to remove my bandages and take a shower because they were last changed about this time yesterday. However, I’ll need someone to tape me back together in about half an hour or so.”

The Nursing Co-ordinator laughs at his bandaging references and she promises to have a nurse visit the hotel in about forty-five minutes, then she adds, “I hope you understand you have to pay for an hour of her time despite the current task only taking a few minutes!”

“Yes, Ma’am! I know that. I also understand I’ll be paying her direct for this work as a private contractor. I won’t need any help again until about this time tomorrow afternoon and Friday I’ll need someone to be with me for the whole day from about seven on. I have to go look at a farm property and I want trained help on hand if I fall or something. I’ll be with Will Dunn on that trip, so you can check things with him.”

“Good! I was worried about her going off to the country with you.”

They hang up and he undresses to have a shower. Removing all of the bandages isn’t simple, but he can do it by himself. However, he can’t put them back on properly by himself, so he needs a nurse to do that.

Ernie is dried and in his underwear when there’s a knock on his door. He puts on a robe and opens the door. A late twenties woman in a nurse’s uniform is there and her ID matches the name he was given.

He lets her in and shuts the door behind her. In a moment he’s sitting on the bed while she re-bandages his shoulder and arm before doing his knee and ankle. Ten minutes later he hands her a fifty dollar note while she signs off on the forty dollar account as being paid.

When she reaches for her purse to get change Ernie says, “Keep the change. You did that with less pain to me than the staff in Sydney. Have you been told my schedule?”

“Yes. You’ll be ringing in again about this time tomorrow, Saturday, and Sunday, plus all day Friday from seven in the morning. This time is good because I can drop in on my way home after my rostered shift which ended about an hour ago. I’ll stop by on my way home. If you’re not here I’ll wait at the desk until you arrive. That’ll be quicker than going home and coming back. I understand you’re risking our lives by getting in a car with Will Dunn on Friday.”

Ernie laughs, “I take it you know Will well!”

“Yes. He’s a cousin and neighbour. So I’ll ride in with him on Friday.”

“Good. Now I need to get started on finding a good restaurant for dinner. I’ll see you tomorrow afternoon after I spend the day playing paper-chase with Will, and other things.” She laughs on her way out.

They leave the room and the hotel together, chatting while they walk.

Once outside on the main street Ernie walks down it while checking out the various businesses along the way. Most of the shops here are offices and retail operations. He can see a sign for an Indian Restaurant a couple of blocks down the street so he decides to eat an early dinner there. He passes two real estate agents along the way and stops to look at the properties for sale in the windows. He smiles when he sees three properties for sale are along Mount Road which is the road Mount Station is on, and they’re on the same side of the road so he makes a note of the details of the properties and the contact details.

Ernie phones his Sydney solicitor, Peter Halsey, with the details of the properties plus a request to check them and to locate a local solicitor.


Indian Encounter

While entering the restaurant called Mistri Meals Ernie wonders if the owners are related to the fellow he shared a flat with for over five years, Dilip Mistri. A waitress greets him when he enters and she shows him to a table. Her name tag says ‘Gayatri,’ and this causes more speculation.

Ernie sits at the table, gives an order for a glass of coke, and studies the menu. When Gayatri returns with his drink he surprises her by placing his order while speaking Hindi. While writing the order down she asks, also in Hindi, “You speak our language so well. How did you learn it?”

Continuing in the language he says, “The fellow I shared a flat with for five years taught me his home language.”

“Since you speak as if you come from my home region I wonder if he does, too. What’s his name?”

“Dilip Mistri!”

“I’ve a cousin Dilip who is a fireman in Sydney! But Dilip is a very common first name and there are many in the Mistri family.”

Deciding to have a bit of fun with her Ernie says, “I doubt it is the same Dilip Mistri. The one I knew was always trying to talk me and a few others into paying the bride price for his cousin Gayatri so he can marry her younger sister. However, the price he stated was so low she must be as ugly as he is, while you are so beautiful you can’t be her.”

She laughs and replies, “That sounds like my cousin. Father is very traditional and he won’t let my sisters marry before I do. So Dilip is doing all he can to get me married off. He often sends me emails telling me about those he works with and saying they would be good husbands for me if I would just go to Sydney to meet them. He never sends me photos. The one who impressed him the most, and he spoke of a lot for many years, was his flatmate Ernie Wells. Is that you?”

“That confirms it! We’re speaking of the same Dilip. That’s me!”

“I’ll place your order and tell my father you’re here. He’s often said he’d like to meet anyone who could put up with living with Dilip while also working with him for as long as you did. He thinks you must have the patience of a saint or you may be a raving lunatic!” She laughs as she leaves to place his order with the kitchen.

A moment later her father comes out and they talk for a few minutes before he returns to the kitchen so Gayatri’s mother can speak with him. Ernie and Gayatri are both embarrassed by the way her mother goes on about how good a cook and home maker her eldest daughter is and how she needs a good man of her own to look after. It’s clear to both Ernie and Gayatri her parents approve of him as a possible suitor based solely on what Dilip has told them in the past.

Ernie and Gayatri have many conversations while he takes his time having his dinner. It seems every spare moment she has is spent talking with him, and he enjoys the attention.

After a two hour meal break Ernie returns to his hotel room. He stops to buy a steel cane from a small shop along the way. He plans to leave the staff with the hotel manager while in town tomorrow. In town a cane will do him and when giving the properties a casual check he’ll be in a car, if they’re worth checking out.

Once back in the room he starts his computer and checks his email. There’s one from Peter Halsey with a lot of information on the three properties Ernie asked about, some information on the owners, and the details of a local solicitor he can use who’s the son of a friend of Peter’s.

After a few hours of reading Ernie settles down for the night. He has a good night’s sleep. Which is a good thing because he’s very busy after he wakes up, gets dressed, and goes to his meeting with Will.


Note: Ernie took the bus to Rivers as it stops at the entrance to a hotel in Rivers while the train station is a long walk from the hotels.


Thursday Trading

Ernie arrives at Will’s office at 9:00 a.m. and he’s immediately shown into a small conference room covered with piles of papers. After a short greeting Will and Ernie sit down to go over the papers. The first task is for Ernie to produce his documents to prove his heritage, then into the papers Will has for them to go over. After a quick check of the family history documents Will has them copied and the copies are certified by his staff so they can put them on the file.

The first of Will’s papers is the name change information which will require a court appearance to be finalised. Then it’s a clause by clause discussion of Graham’s will and the trust deed. A written confirmation of Ernie’s interpretation of the work performed on the farm. Signature cards for the bank, power of attorney documents for Will to act for Ernie as Ernest Mount, a retainer agreement for Ernie’s personal affairs, and finally the big item is an involved discussion of the property, the history of the property, and the farms around it. One interesting aspect is the farm Howard Mount works is several kilometres closer to Rivers than Mount Station and it was never part of it. The reason for this is he’s a younger son who was forced to sell out his original inheritance to his older brother. He then used the money to buy into the farm of his father-in-law and later bought out his wife’s sister when she wanted out of the area after her parents died.


Farm Ownerships

Due to a number of changes in ownership twenty percent of the original farm is now known as Jack’s Farm and is owned by John Mills while the twenty percent strip beside it is called Jim’s Farm and is owned by Harry Mills, a cousin to John; but to say they don’t get on with each other is an understatement. The current Mount Station is next for fifty percent of the original farm while the last ten percent of the original farm is now known as The Daniels Farm and is double the size of the original slice of Mount Station because it was bought by the fellow who owned the farm on the other side of that strip. Daniels Farm is now owned by a company called Argent Enterprises and it’s run by a man who doesn’t really know what he’s doing.

Will tells Ernie, “The trust has a law suit against Argent and Mister Dixon, the manager of The Daniels Farm. Everyone around here is into organic farming as it gets a higher payment for the crop. On a windy day Dixon sprayed his crops with a pesticide not allowed for organic farming. A large section of the Mount Station fields beside his farm was contaminated by the spray. Thus that grain can’t be sold as organic. It also incurs a higher harvesting cost due to the need to clean all of the gear used to harvest the contaminated crops. We’re waiting to see how it affects the yield before we set a dollar figure on the case, but the starting court papers have been filed. Argent hasn’t much cash and they don’t have much in the way of other assets either. So it’ll be very interesting to see how things go when the case is finally presented in court.”

Ernie responds, “It just proves the old saying: ‘Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.’ From this map there’s another small farm before Barker Road, what’s the deal with that?”

“That’s not got a name but is known locally as ‘Fred’s Folly.’ It was part of the farm on the other side of Barker Road before the strip of land was sold to allow for the extension of the road. Fred Hammer, a local shopkeeper, bought it as a hobby farm to retire to. The trouble is it has no water on it or available to it. Thus it’s been sitting idle for some years while he tried to organise something. He’s now in a home with health issues and his daughter is trying to sell it. Why do you ask about it?”

“Walking down the street last night I saw some ads in the real estate windows offering three properties for sale: the unnamed farm you just called Fred’s Folly, The Daniels Farm, and Jim’s Farm. I wondered why the trust doesn’t buy them to expand Mount Station.”

“We’d love to! However, there’s no point in trying. Fred’s Folly is of no use unless we can get The Daniels Farm and when that was sold to Argent it included a clause to never sell it to the Mount Station Trust. Harry Mills has also said he’d never sell to the trust. So we’ve got no choice about it. I’ve heard John Mills would like to sell if offered a good price, but he won’t sell to Harry and Harry hassles everyone else who looks at the place. Their two farms were originally reformed into one a few generations back but then it got split up again by heirs in the same way as Mount Station got split up.”

They move on to discuss a few other matters before ending the meeting just before lunch. Ernie wants to go look at Mount Station but he wants to do it with Will on hand and Will is tied up in court for the rest of the day. Thus the farm inspection will be tomorrow morning.


Luncheon Talks

While walking to a nearby eatery for his lunch Ernie calls John Wilson, the solicitor Peter referred him to. John is a recent law graduate who’s having troubles getting started in the trade. He wants to stay in Rivers so he can be handy to his family, but none of the local firms are in need of a new graduate so he’s trying to set up on his own. Working from his family home also makes it hard to get noticed. He’s free for the day so he agrees to see Ernie and have a nice free lunch.

During lunch they discuss how to go about buying the properties and to set up a retainer for John to represent the company Peter looks after for Ernie: Wells Enterprises. The company was set up with all of the inheritances and insurance pay-outs from the death of his family. Due to the circumstances special clauses came into effect so the large insurance policies were made bigger. Over the several years since their deaths Peter has more than doubled the original investment. Also, the insurance and compensation pay-outs Ernie received were added to the company funds. Thus he has a large bankroll to play with, except most of it is in various investments so it’s not readily available for immediate use.

When Ernie calls to have Peter appoint John as the company’s local representative Peter tells him, “Knowing the way you work, Ernie, I’ve made arrangements with the bank for us to have an extensive overdraft secured against the investments. So, if you decide to buy all of the farms, and a few more, we can pay them cash today.”

“You know me too well, Peter. If I can get a good cut by paying cash today I’ll do the deals. Now we have to go see some people about them.” After a quick visit to John’s office at home to exchange some faxes they’re all set for an afternoon of real estate adventures, so they head off to inspect the four properties surrounding Mount Station. By 1:30 p.m. the two are driving out in John’s SUV to look at the properties.


Afternoon Adventures

The inspection of Fred’s Folly is a simple case of driving around the key points of the vacant property. At The Daniels Farm it’s a short look at the property by driving in and asking for Mister Dixon, who’s happy to show them around the farm. They promise to call in on the agent a bit later today. A drive up the road and a check of Jim’s Farm with Harry Mills directing them around the property. A similar promise to talk to the agent. Then a visit to Jack’s Farm and a talk to John Mills.

When they stop beside the men at a work-shed on Jack’s Farm John Wilson gets out and asks for John Mills. One man walks over and he introduces himself as John Mills. After a short talk they walk back to the SUV and get in. Like the other properties a quick visual inspection from the vehicle only takes fifteen minutes and they’re back at the main farmhouse where John Mills goes to get out.

Ernie asks, “Mister Mills, do you have a current farm appraisal, and can I look at it, please?”

Mills stops to look at Ernie for a moment because all of the talk, until now, has been by John Wilson. While taking a folded piece of paper out of his pocket John says, “Yes, why?”

“I represent a Sydney based company called Wells Enterprises. I’m down here to look at some properties and Mister Wilson has been chosen as our local representative. Although you’re not advertising the farm for sale I’d heard you’d be interested in selling for a fair price, as long as your cousin Harry didn’t end up with the farm. We’re prepared to pay a fair appraisal for the farm and to include a term to never sell to Harry Mills. I know the few staff you employ are good and we’d like to keep them on as well. Are you interested?”

John smiles as he nods yes while handing the paper to them to look at. John Wilson examines it and says, “This was done two weeks ago by a fellow with a good reputation. It seems fair for what we’ve seen.”

Ernie nods agreement and asks, “I think we can write a contract right now. But how soon do you want to be paid?”

“I’d like to be able to move north as soon as I can! However, it’ll take time to do everything.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close