Winterborn
Chapter 4: The Conclusion

Copyright© 2010 by woodmanone

Dillon faded in and out of consciousness. One time he felt he was lying on a hard surface but could feel it moving. The next time he was on something soft and felt someone applying a cool wet cloth to his forehead.

Finally he fought his way back from the darkness; he was on a big bed in a room that he didn't recognize. He tried to sit up and was rewarded with a shooting pain in his neck. Dillon fell back and moaned. Damn that hurts, he thought.

The door opened and he saw Oso entering the bedroom. "How are you amigo? You look better than when we brought you here."

"Hola," Dillon replied and then asked, "Where am I and who brought me here?"

Oso smiled, "You're at the Triple E ranch outside Prescott. Senorita Elizabeth insisted that you be brought here until you recover."

The door opened again and an older woman entered. "I see you've rejoined the living Mr. Gallagher. How are you feeling?"

"Aside from a sore neck and a small headache I'm well ma'am."

At the questioning look from Dillon she added, "Where are my manners? I'm Eleanor Edwards and this is our home." She walked over to him. "Let me have a look," Mrs. Edwards said helping Dillon to sit up. She inspected the back of his head and added, "The swelling has gone down and the bleeding has stopped. I think you'll be just fine Mr. Gallagher."

Dillon leaned his back against the headboard and his head began to clear. He looked at Mrs. Edwards and could see where Elizabeth got her eye color and the shape of her face. Her hair was dark brown worn in a French bun. Mrs. Edwards was about 5' 6 and more solidly built than her daughter but still trim.

Dillon knew she had to be close to forty to have a daughter as old as Elizabeth but Mrs. Edwards looked to be in her early thirties at most. Her confidence and manner reminded him of Emma in some ways.

The door burst open and Ethan charged into the room. "Hi ya Dillon, glad you're awake," the boy said in a loud voice. Ethan was typical of most twelve year olds. He was full of energy and had a difficult time standing still. But there was a sadness around the eyes that surprised Dillon.

Ethan had the same auburn hair as his sister; his eyes were brown and lively. He was tall for his age with large hands; must take after his father Dillon thought. Ethan will be taller than me when he gets his full growth.

Following at a slower pace, Elizabeth joined the group. She gave Dillon a little smile. "Thank you for helping Oso Mr. Gallagher. It could have gotten very ugly."

Dillon returned her smile but before he could respond Mrs. Edwards remarked, "It seems you're making a habit of coming to our families rescue Mr. Gallagher." Eleanor's manner of speaking showed that she was an educated woman. "Our own personal Sir Galahad. I understand that you also quote poetry," she said with a grin. "Lord Byron I believe it was."

Returning her grin with a sheepish smile Dillon replied, "It's a nasty habit I picked up in school. Sometimes I can't help myself."

"Oso said you quoted a verse and told him it was a poem. All he could remember was 'She walks in beauty like the night', Elizabeth said.

Embarrassed Dillon looked at Oso with a little frown. "I didn't realize that I spoke aloud. I'm sorry if it offended you Miss Edwards."

Elizabeth blushed a little and replied, "Not at all Mr. Gallagher. With Mother's help I looked up the poem; it's very flattering. Thank you."

Dillon smiled at Elizabeth's blush and turned to Mrs. Edwards. "Ma'am you said that I was a knight, might this knight request a boon from Milady?" Eleanor smiled and nodded. "Could y'all call me Dillon? This Mr. Gallagher stuff makes me feel old."

"My son is already using your given name; I suppose it would be all right for the rest of us too. But you must return the favor, Sir Knight ... Dillon," Eleanor smiled and replied. "Now if you're up to it, get dressed and I'll feed you a ranch breakfast."

For the first time Dillon realized he was wearing a night shirt and not his normal clothes. Now it was his turn to blush. He nodded and the ladies and Ethan left the room; Oso waited to see if Dillon needed help.

"Who undressed me Oso?"

Oso had a grin on his face and said, "Well, Senorita Elizabeth..." He stopped and his grin got bigger at the look on Dillon's face. "Niña told me to put you in one of her father's nightshirts. I undressed you amigo."

"Very funny Oso, very funny," Dillon replied pretending to be upset with the big man. Then a grin spread across his face and gave him away. "How long have I been here?"

"Our adventure was on Saturday and today is Tuesday my friend. You've been fading in and out of it for three days." Oso looked at Dillon for about five seconds, his face grew more serious and said, "Now I have a question for you. Why did you help me? I'm glad that you did, but why?"

Dillon scratched his head and continued to get dressed. As he pulled on his boots he answered, "I guess I've always had a soft spot for an underdog." Looking at Oso he laughed, "I know as big as you are it's hard to say you're an underdog, but you were outnumbered four to one and they had guns."

"Whatever your reasons, thank you amigo. Let's eat. Senora Eleanor makes the best gravy in the county."

Sitting on the front porch with a cup of coffee after breakfast, Dillon got his first look at the Triple E; he'd been unconscious when the Edward's brought him to their home. He got up and gingerly stepped out into the yard. Dillon was sore but mostly because of lying in bed for three days and not a result of his injury.

The ranch house was a rambling one level building. On the left as you faced the house was the main living space. It consisted of two very large rooms; a kitchen and large dining area and separated by a low wall the living room and sitting area. To one side of the living room was a roll topped desk where the ranch business was taken care of.

On the right were the sleeping quarters; five bedrooms joined to the living area with a covered breezeway. There was a big barn and a bunk house about a hundred feet to the west of the house. Dillon remembered that Creed Taylor's place in Texas had been very similar. The house and barn fits in well with the land, Dillon thought.

The surrounding area was gently rolling hills mostly covered with trees. In between the hills were meadows and grass lands. If the rest of the Triple E is like this, it's a good place to raise stock, Dillon said to himself. Oso joined him in front of the house.

"What happened after I went down? I seem to remember someone telling everyone to stop," Dillon questioned.

"That was Sheriff Jackson," Oso answered. "He stopped the fight and made Cassidy's men leave town. They picked up Miles and the other one and carried them off. Jackson told me after they left that he didn't believe their version of what happened. Then he got Doctor Reynolds to tend to you; the doc treated me also. Senorita Elizabeth arrived about the same time as the doctor."

Dillon hadn't noticed before but Oso had a large cut on the side of his head. Oso continued, "Doc Reynolds said he thought you'd be okay but someone should sit with you for a few days. That's when the senorita told me to get the wagon and that we'd bring you out here to the Triple E."

"Strange name for a ranch."

"Senor Edwards named the place. He said it was for the three treasures in his life; Eleanor, Elizabeth, and Ethan. That's why he called it the Triple E; we brand our stock with three Es."

"Speaking of Mr. Edwards, I haven't met him yet. Is he around or is he away on business?"

Oso hung his head for a minute. "Senor Edwards was killed four months ago. That cabrón Cassidy had him killed. But we can't prove it. I started to go after Cassidy but Senora Eleanor made me promise not to. She said she didn't want me killed or put in jail."

"Couldn't Sheriff Jackson do anything?" Dillon asked and Oso shook his head no. "Why would Cassidy kill Mr. Edwards?"

"The Sheriff questioned Cassidy but couldn't find any proof. Cassidy wants the Triple E but Senor Edwards wouldn't sell and when he wouldn't, Cassidy had his men kill him."

That explains the sadness in these people, Dillon thought. He stopped questioning Oso to let him compose himself. Then to lighten things up a bit said, "Are you called bear because of you size amigo?"

Oso smiled and replied, "I didn't know you spoke Spanish. No, everybody thinks that but the name was given to me when I was little; my real name is Roberto Rios. My father married a Cheyenne woman; he didn't take her as a squaw, he married her in the Church. We were visiting my mother's people one summer and I wandered away from the camp. I was five at the time." Oso stopped for a bit and smiled remembering happier times.

"My mother and father found me in a clearing playing with two bear cubs. The mother bear was lying nearby watching us. When my parents came into the clearing, she called to her cubs and led them into the forest. My father couldn't believe that the bear had let me play with her cubs. My mother said I was protected by the bear totem. From then on, everyone called me Oso."

Dillon chuckled at the story. "Do your folks live nearby?"

Again Oso hung his head before answering. "My parents were killed in a raid by the Apache on our small ranch. That's when I got this," he said pointing to the scar on his face. "Senor Edwards was riding by the ranch and saw the smoke from the burning house. When he rode into our yard, he found me digging graves for my mother and father. I was ten."

Dillon waited while Oso stared at the skyline. "Senor Edwards gave me a canteen, made me sit in the shade, and he finished the digging. After he buried my folks, he made some crosses out of pieces of fencing. He let me pound them into the ground at the head of each grave and said a prayer over them."

For the first time since Oso began his tale he smiled. "Senor Edwards asked me if I had family he could take me to. I said I had no one so he pulled me up behind him on his horse. That was almost twenty five years ago; I've lived with the Edwards family ever since."

Dillon nodded as Oso finished his tale. "That's why you so attached to the Triple E and its owners. I guess maybe I've become attached to them too."

Oso looked at him and smiled. "Would you like to ride around the ranch? I brought your horses from town and put them in our barn.

After thinking for a minute Dillon said, "Maybe I'd better wait until tomorrow; I'm still a little unsteady."


Three days later Dillon had fully recovered. Oso, Elizabeth, and Dillon rode around the ranch. "How big is the Triple E?" Dillon asked. "I don't remember much about that trip from town. Seems like a nice spread."

Elizabeth smiled and said, "Sometimes it's almost too much. We've got almost 800 acres with grazing rights for another 400; it takes a lot to keep it going."

"Reckon it would take a lot of work," Dillon agreed. "How far is Prescott from here?"

"It's about 10 miles as the crow flies, but we're not crows," Oso answered. "Closer to 13 miles by the trail. There's an old trail through the hills and along a dry river bed that cuts off 3 or 4 miles but it's a hard ride and tough on horses."

Dillon, Oso, and the Edwards spent the evenings after supper on the front porch talking. Dillon had told them about Cassidy poisoning the other ranchers against him.

"I guess I'm going to have to find something else to do," He said.

"We can offer you work on the Triple E, if you've a mind too," Eleanor offered. "But you must understand that Mr. Cassidy won't back off. He's already run off all the hands except for Oso. If you go to work for us, you'll probably have to deal with that unpleasantness."

Dillon hung his head and then smiled. Looking at Eleanor he said, "I'd be proud to work for you ma'am." He paused for a little and continued, "Why is Cassidy so set on getting the Triple E? Is there something special about it? Water or mineral deposits maybe?"

"We have good water on the ranch but nothing extraordinary and nothing of value except grazing land. I asked Cassidy why he wanted our place the third time he made an offer," Eleanor replied. "He said he was building a cattle empire to rival the King Ranch in Texas and we were in his way. He owns most of the ranches on either side of us you know. Maybe he has delusions of grandeur."

Dillon shook his head; he'd heard and read about many men that talked about building an empire. He offered, "The problem with building an empire is that most empire builders don't last long."

He thought for a moment and then quoted:

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.'

Eleanor smiled and then chuckled. "You may be right Dillon."

"What?" Oso asked, clearly not understanding the quote. When Dillon explained it to him, he nodded and smiled. "Maybe we can be the ones to destroy that statue."

The next morning Dillon rode back to Prescott; he had several errands to take care of. He wanted to settle his accounts at the stable and the boarding house and get the rest of his gear to transfer it to the Triple E. Dillon also wanted to see if there were more letters from his mother. He told the Edwards that he would return the next day.

Oso wanted to go with him but Dillon talked him out of it. "Cassidy's men won't bother me; they don't know that I'm working for Mrs. Edwards. But they sure know who you are."

Shortly after arriving in town, Dillon had completed his errands. He stopped by to talk to Sheriff Jackson and explained his part in the fight behind the stable.

"I know that Cassidy's men started things, but I couldn't prove it so I had to let them leave," Jackson said. "Keeping someone from being killed was about the best I could do. You know you knocked out two of Miles' teeth." He paused and added, "Don't go trying to even the score. Let the law handle it."

Dillon nodded his understanding. "I won't go looking for those men or Cassidy." He looked the Sheriff in the eye, "You once said I didn't look like a man that wouldn't turn the other cheek; I'll do it this time. But make no mistake, I won't do it again."

After leaving the Sheriff's office he went back to the hotel and got a room for one night. He had supper in a cafe next door to the West Branch saloon. Dillon knew that after he went to work on the Triple E there wouldn't be many chances for a beer and a little poker. One last fling, Dillon said to himself laughing.

He entered the saloon; after getting a beer he leaned against the end of the bar with a wall at his back. Dillon was watching the two poker games that were going on; wondering if he should sit in or go back to the hotel. He decided to finish his beer and go back to his room so he could get an early start back to the Triple E.

Dillon drained his beer and turned to leave. Both of the swinging doors were pushed opened as Cassidy and three of his men stomped into the saloon. The three hands followed Cassidy toward the bar. Before they got there, Cassidy saw Dillon and came to a halt; he stopped so suddenly that two of his men bumped into him. He turned toward Dillon and started his way.

He saw Cassidy coming toward him and pushed off the bar to face him and his men. The weather had started to cool down as it was late fall and Dillon had started wearing a duster. Very slowly he moved the long coat and uncovered his holstered piston making it seem like a natural motion. He wasn't about to be caught at a disadvantage.

Cassidy came to a stop about five feet from Dillon. "I understand that you're spending time on the Triple E Gallagher. I'm going to own that place soon. Take my advice and leave before I take over. In fact it might be a good idea for you to leave Prescott."

"Thanks for your concern Mr. Cassidy. But I sorta like this area and the Edwards family. Think I'll hang around and see if I can be of any help to them," Dillon replied. "After all they're the ones that took care of me when one of your men hit me with a club from behind."

Before the rancher could reply Dillon notice that Miles was one of the men with Cassidy. "How's your teeth Miles? I understand you lost a few recently," Dillon said and laughed.

Miles went pale and started for his gun but Cassidy grabbed his arm. "You damn fool, can't you see he's ready for you. Go outside and wait with the horses." Turning back to Dillon he said, "You're making a mistake throwin in with the Edwards. I suggest you ride on Gallagher."

"And I suggest you mind your own business Mr. Cassidy," Dillon replied with steel in his voice. He looked at the man with cold eyes. "Let's make it clear Cassidy, if you continue to harass the folks from the Triple E you'll have me to deal with.'

"Is that a threat?" Cassidy asked bristling with anger.

"No sir Mr. Cassidy. That's just what will happen if you don't leave those folks alone."

Cassidy laughed. "There's just you and that big greaser to protect those woman. If it comes to trouble, you're outgunned."

"Maybe so, but most of your boys are just cowhands with guns; I'm a mite better than that. If you try to run Miss Eleanor and her children off, you might just find that we don't run too easy. You might find out that the price you have to pay for the Triple E is very high." Dillon's voice and cold manner made Cassidy stop for a moment.

"I'm leaving now. Appreciate it if you or your men don't follow me out the door," he told Cassidy.

Dillon left the saloon but never completely turned his back on Cassidy and his men. As he stepped through the swinging doors, Miles was leaning against the hitching rail and stood up. Dillon fixed the man with a cold stare and shook his head. Miles slumped back and Dillon walked past him.

It might be a good idea if I went back to the Triple E tonight, Dillon told himself. I don't think Cassidy will do anything tonight but why take the chance. Dillon got his gear from the hotel, saddled Buck, and rode back to the ranch. He stabled his horse and slipped into the bunkhouse trying to be quiet.

Oso turned up the wick on the coal oil lamp as Dillon closed the door. "I thought you were going to stay in town until tomorrow."

"Sorry to wake you amigo; I'll tell you about it in the morning," Dillon replied and smiled at his friend. "Right now I need to get some sleep and so do you. We've got a full day tomorrow."

"I was sleeping until somebody came stomping in to the bunkhouse," Oso grumbled.

The next morning after breakfast the men rode out to round up some of the cattle. Eleanor had agreed with Dillon's suggestion that the stock be kept closer in. She said it was time to bring them down from the high country grazing anyway. As they drove the cattle back toward the meadow just to the east of the main house, Dillon told Oso about running into Cassidy.

"I don't think Mr. Cassidy likes the fact that I'm working on the Triple E. In fact I don't think Cassidy likes me very much."

Oso laughed for a bit then sobered and said, "You know it could get nasty Dillon; you don't owe us anything. Are you sure you want to get involved?"

The cattle had reached the meadow and Dillon stopped Buck. Turning to Oso he said, "I'm already a part of this my friend. I got involved when I saw Cassidy's men rough up Ethan, I got involved when those four jumped you, and I got involved when Elizabeth decided to take care of me."

"But that was mostly you helping us. Why should you face the storm that's coming?"

Dillon got a faraway look in his eyes and he stared at the cattle as they settled down. "I did things in the war that I'm not proud of; they were necessary but I'm still not proud of them. I regret having to kill the men that I have, both during the war and afterwards." He stopped for a minute remembering.

"But I've always done what had to be done. Helping the Edwards is something that has to be done; at least in my mind. I can't let that Yankee carpetbagger hurt these folks; he did enough of that back in Virginia." Dillon's voice had become hard and his eyes looked like blue steel.

"I'm sorry amigo, I don't understand, what was it you said ... Yankee carpetbagger?" Oso said. Dillon explained the term and Cassidy's history.

Oso waited for a little as Dillon continued to study the skyline and then suggested they head back. "It's about lunch time."

"Don't you ever think about anything but food, you big bear?" Dillon laughed as he shook off his somber mood and turned Buck toward the ranch house.

After lunch Dillon told Eleanor that they should have a discussion after supper concerning the troubles with Cassidy. The rest of the afternoon the whole group worked around the house and barn. There's always something that needs doing around a ranch, Dillon thought as he mended the corral attached to the barn.

Supper was over, the after the meal coffee was poured, and everyone gathered around the big table for a talk about the future. Eleanor, Elizabeth, Ethan, and Oso waited for Dillon to start the discussion; after all he was the one that had suggested the powwow.

"Miss Eleanor it's time you knew more about me; before this trouble with Cassidy gets any worse," Dillon started. He went on to tell about his service in the First Virginia Cavalry, his decision not to return home after the war and why, and his hatred of what the North forced on the southern states.

"My reasons for opposing Cassidy run deeper than not wanting to see a nice family run off their place. If I stay Cassidy may come down on you all the harder because I'm here. He was a Northern regulator in Virginia which gives me all the more reason to hate him. Cassidy knows how I feel about him and his kind." Dillon paused looking at Eleanor and the rest of them and added, "If you want me to leave, I'll understand. Things are apt to get real nasty around here."

"I know most of your history Dillon," Eleanor replied. "Charley Jackson told me after he got that telegram from Marshal Ryan."

Dillon was surprise and a little angry that Jackson would talk about him behind his back. Before he could say anything Eleanor continued.

"Oh, don't blame Charley too much Dillon. He hardly knows you; my husband John and I have been close friends with Charley for years. He wasn't gossiping about you son, he was warning me what kind of man I was hiring. Understand?"

Dillon nodded and relaxed. Eleanor added, "As you said, this situation could get very bad. But I won't be forced off this damned ranch by Cassidy or anyone else." She looked Dillon in the eye and said, "We, my family and I are prepared to fight to the end if necessary. Are you sure you want to commit to what amounts to a war?"

He returned Eleanor's look, paused for a few seconds and said, "You said this damned ranch. I don't understand that."

Eleanor gave him a sad smile and replied, "I don't really care for the life of a rancher Dillon, I wanted to live closer to town and teach school again." At his surprised look she continued, "I stayed because John worked hard to build a life for us here and a wife's place is at her husband' side. I won't let someone walk all over his legacy." Now Eleanor paused for a few seconds.

"Even if Cassidy had made us a reasonable offer, I wouldn't have sold the Triple E to him after what happened to John. He killed my husband and then tried scaring us off the place. His next offer was not much more than traveling money. As I said, we won't be forced off our place by Cassidy."

Elizabeth, Ethan, and Oso all nodded in agreement. Dillon had a smile of his own that didn't extend to his eyes. "Looks like Mr. Carpetbagger Cassidy has a fight on his hands don't it?"

He and Oso started toward the bunkhouse. Dillon decided to check on his horses, especially his pack horse. Buddy hadn't received much attention for the last few days. As he led the gentle horse from his stall and currycombed him, he saw Elizabeth entering the barn.

Dillon nodded at her and she came over and stroked and rubbed Buddy's face. "You're an educated man aren't you Dillon? I mean with the poetry quotes and all, I'm sure you had more schooling than most."

"I guess you could call me educated. VMI did teach more than just battle tactics." He smiled and admitted, "I developed a fondness for poetry. It's sort of a strange way of relaxing for a young man planning on being a cavalry officer." Dillon looked at Elizabeth in the lamp light and again felt his interest in the young woman.

"Momma taught us at home you know, I guess once a school teacher always a school teacher. She can't get Ethan interested in more than just learning to read and write and a little arithmetic. Momma could tell that I wanted more so she introduced me to several subjects."

"Like what?" Dillon asked more to keep her talking than anything; he was enjoying her company.

"I've read some philosophy, and ancient history," Elizabeth answered. Then with a chuckle she added, "I've even read some poetry. Mostly Elizabeth Barrett Browning. You know 'How do I love thee'," she said blushing.

"I'm impressed Elizabeth. My favorites are Shelley and Byron."

Oso stuck his head inside the door. "I'm gonna take a walk around and then turn in. See you later Dillon," he said pointedly looking at Elizabeth.

She chuckled, "Oso is always trying to protect me." Then softly to herself she said, "Sometimes I wished he'd mind his own business."

Now Dillon chuckled and said, "He's right. You're much too lovely to be alone with a man in a barn. For some, the temptation would be too great."

"I'm 21 and full grown Dillon. I can go and do what I want and take care of myself thank you, she said with a smile. Dillon continued brushing Buddy and after a minute Elizabeth softly asked, ""Are you such a gentleman that you can resist temptation Dillon?"

He stopped working on his horse and looked at her. Sighing Dillon said, "Elizabeth, I'm not a good prospect, if that's what you thinking. I've got a price on my head in San Antonio and in Laredo. Men have challenged me and died for it. I'm not a nice person Elizabeth. You deserve some young man who doesn't have to look over his shoulder."

"Ha, the boys and men around here think I'm too much of a tom boy to be interested," she replied. "They all want a woman that will sit at home waiting for them and jump at their beck and call. I won't be a simpering fool for any man. When I marry I plan on being a full partner with my husband."

Dillon had to smile at the passion in her voice. She certainly would be a handful, he thought. But she would be damn well worth the trouble. Stop it, he told himself. I might not live through what's coming and if I do she deserves better than me.

Elizabeth stepped around Buddy and faced Dillon. "As far as what you said about yourself, I disagree. I think you are a good person. I saw it when you protected Ethan and again when you helped Oso. Besides, it's not your decision Mr. Gallagher. It's mine." With that she put her arms around Dillon's neck, pulled his head down, and kissed him.

Before he could react she stepped back and walked toward the door. "Temptation can be very hard to resist, can't it Dillon." Elizabeth left laughing at the look on Dillon's face.

"Guess that's plain enough," Dillon said out loud. "Buddy have you even seen such a woman?" The horse shook his head as if to agree that Elizabeth was something special. Dillon put Buddy back in his stall and walked over to the bunkhouse. That sure puts a different twist to things, he said to himself. As he entered Oso sat up in bed.

"I don't want to see Elizabeth hurt Dillon," the big man said.

"Neither do I amigo, but I don't think what you and I want plays into it," Dillon replied chuckling. "Elizabeth is pretty much her own person. All we can do is keep our heads down and hope we don't get in her way." Dillon got serious and continued, "I won't hurt her Oso; I promise."

The next day Dillon, Oso and Elizabeth inspected the land surrounding the ranch house and out buildings. Dillon planned on developing several defensive positions in case Cassidy and his men made a raid on the ranch.

As they ate lunch Dillon suggested several things. "It's getting on to winter and I don't think Cassidy will try anything out here before spring. Town's a different matter though. From now on I think we should go to town together." He saw nods of understanding from everyone.

Dillon looked at Eleanor. "I don't mean to take over but I've got some experience in this area." She nodded and he continued, "Before spring I'd like all of you to be able to handle a gun, if you don't already. You too Ethan."

Eleanor spoke up, "If it looks like trouble is coming, I'll send Ethan to stay with Sheriff Jackson and his wife. I've already talked to Charley about it. I'd like for Elizabeth to go too but I don't think there's much chance of getting her to behave like a lady." Eleanor smiled at her daughter. Looking at Oso she added, "I know I can't get my oldest boy to leave either."

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close