Along the Finke
Chapter 20

Copyright© 2010 by Pedant

Gordy

Saturday morning we got up, packed and went down to breakfast. Somehow, what we had in the rental Rover and our bedrolls had grown. Stuff does that, I guess.

We'd barely begun when Charlie and Maddy appeared. He was grinning like a nutcase and she was walking funny. I smiled, but Weena burst out laughing.

"Yeah, I know," said Maddy as she sat down gingerly. "Cowboy here wanted to go midnight ridin'."

"Ayup."

After breakfast we loaded up Maddy's Land Rover and I settled our bill. The ladies were chattering away and getting teary, so Charlie and I stood off to the side.

"Thanks for everythin'," he said.

"No problem," I responded. "So, it'll be a while before the wedding."

"Yup."

"You know, there's a US Consulate in Perth."

"Mmm?"

"You could fly out in a month or so, get your business done, and visit with us."

"Not a bad idee. I'll ask the boss."

"Ri-i-ight." I looked at my watch. "Ladies, time to go to the airport."

We got in. Maddy drove. We checked in. The plane arrived. I shook Charlie's hand.

"It's really been a pleasure."

"Me too. I owe you a lot." He looked at Maddy.

Weena gave Charlie a kiss; I gave one to Maddy. I took Weena's hand and gave our boarding passes to a bloke in uniform. We waved and went out into the heat and the flies, up the stairs and into the plane.

"Well," Weena said, sitting down.

"Did you like your honeymoon?" I asked.

"Best I've ever had," she responded.

They closed the door and made sure all eight or nine of us had fastened our seatbelts. And a few minutes later we were in the air, heading westsouthwest.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close