Moonlight Serenade
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2010 by Kingkey

Mike was busy the next couple of days with work and trying to get ready for Friday night. Friday after school, the trio, once again, met at Chuck's house to go over the plans for later that night.

They were both anxious to learn what the plans were to find out what Mike considered the "ultimate romantic gesture". So he told them. "The ultimate romantic gesture, as you see in all the old classic movies, has got to be a Moonlight Serenade, even though it may seem corny to you."

Chuck then started laughing until Kathy elbowed him hard in the ribs knocking the air out of him and said. "That's not funny Chuck. That's got to be one of the most romantic gestures ever heard of."

"Okay so how can we help?" Kathy asked.

"I recorded just the background music for a song I'll sing. I just need someone to operate the tape player." he said.

"What song did you pick?" Chuck asked.

Mike laughed and said. "What else, Michelle by the Beatles."

The three conspirators sat outside Michelle's house waiting for her to go to bed. Finally, just after 10 o'clock we saw her bedroom light come on. Waiting another 15 minutes to give her a chance to change for bed, Mike signaled Chuck to start the music. Although no Frank Sinatra, he was not a bad singer.

Michelle, my belle.
These are words that go together well,
My Michelle.

Michelle, my belle.
Sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble,
Très bien ensemble.

I love you, I love you, I love you.
That's all I want to say.
Until I find a way
I will say the only words I know that
You'll understand.

Michelle, my belle.
Sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble,
Très bien ensemble.

I need to, I need to, I need to.
I need to make you see,
Oh, what you mean to me.
Until I do I'm hoping you will
Know what I mean.

I love you...

I want you, I want you, I want you.
I think you know by now
I'll get to you somehow.
Until I do I'm telling you so
You'll understand.

Michelle, my belle.
Sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble,
Très bien ensemble.

I will say the only words I know that
You'll understand, my Michelle.

As I was singing, I saw Michelle come and open her window. Then leaning out to see who was doing singing. She spotted me standing in the shadows and said. "Mike? Mike Kincaid? Is that you? You're the one that sent the flowers and candy? You're my secret admirer?"

"Yes, I am Michelle. I've admired you, since we were in grammar school together, but it seems like you only notice the jocks and guys on the A-list and never an ordinary guy like myself. So when I found that you had broken up with Brad because he could not be romantic, I decided to romance you to see if, possibly, we could start going out. I believe I'm capable of showing the true meaning of romance." Mike said.

Michelle asks then. "Okay, so what did you have in mind for a romantic date?"

"There are a lot of things we can do. For instance, we could go to a nice candlelit restaurant for a nice meal and then possibly going to a club dancing. I know most of those you've dated, when you've gone to a nightclub or party, they mostly leave you alone with the other women while they chat and brag to their buddies. Nevertheless, to most of them you're just arm candy; something that they can brag about. Like 'see, I can be here with the prettiest girl.' To most of them you are just an item to brag about like they brag about their cars and how they do on the football field. You deserve much better than that. They should be going out of their way to pay attention to you not their friends." he said.

Michelle thought about it for a minute and said. "Maybe we can try going out Mike. The flowers and candy were something no one has ever done for me before. Let's give it a try."

"That's great. How about, I take you into the city tomorrow for a fancy dinner and maybe a movie?" I asked.

"That sounds good to me. Pick me up at seven o'clock and we'll go to dinner. I need to be back early because I have prior plans. As long as we're back by 10 o'clock things should work out well." Michelle said.

The next night, wearing his good suit after spending the better part of the afternoon washing and waxing his car, he picked her up just before seven. Surprisingly, she met him at the door ready to go. This seemed odd to him most girls that he had dated were never ready to go as soon as he got there. He was usually early enough to sit and chat with their parents. Something seemed just a little off, but he shrugged off the feeling as they drove into the city to a fancy French restaurant that he called earlier for reservations. He was making sure that everything went just right for their first date.

It was a very nice meal, although he thought it was very expensive for what little food they actually ordered and the service was just average. Michelle seemed to be really enjoying herself so maybe it was worth all the effort and expense. Soon after it was time to take her home. After he pulled into her driveway, she quickly gave him a peck on the cheek and rushed into the house leaving him just sitting there.

The next morning he tried calling her several times each time getting her mother who told him that she was still sleeping. Finally, about one o'clock he gave up and went over to Chuck's finding him there. A few minutes after arriving, Kathy called to see how the date went. He told her he'd just arrived, and she said that she would be right over also.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close