Missing Cats and Found Kittens - Cover

Missing Cats and Found Kittens

Copyright© 2019 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 16

That night was kind of tense. All of the kids were upset. I explained everything to them, but it had little effect in calming their nerves. And to tell the truth, I was a little wound up myself. It’s not every day that a gun gets pulled on you, and not have it bother you. even when you know its unloaded.

I tried reading from another of my books, The Wonderland stories. But there wasn’t the same enthusiasm. Relatively early, everybody drifted to their beds. That is except for myself and Nigel. We retreated to the kitchen. I spent that night with my Greener firmly in hand. I showed Nigel my “Special” jerk load. Rock salt and bacon rind. But this time, all 3 rounds in the magazine. While I was tempted to put a live round under the hammer, I changed my mind. Looking at Nigel, I think that he had given up, not that I was going to give him a chance. I spent that night watching him, drinking increasingly bitter coffee and waiting for dawn.

That morning, when Suzy showed up, I allowed her to relieve me while I took care of my morning chores. Both personal and farm related. Suzy had experience with my greener and made sure that Nigel was WELL aware of it. She unloaded the weapon and then as she reloaded, she told Nigel. “This one is for your knees, this one is for your chest. And this one is my very favorite. It’s for Wee Willie Winkee. I think I’ll hang it in the outhouse over the door.”

I did have help with the livestock. 4 of the kids joined me. While they were there, they told me that they felt safer with me. Then quickly tried to backtrack and include Suzy. I chuckled and passed it off. Meanwhile Suzy and her 2 helpers, mostly her helpers got breakfast ready for the rest of the mob.

After the breakfast cleanup was done, I called into Elk City.

“Mountain Man to Elk City, You on the air blue suit Paul?”

After 3 or 4 tries, Paul came on the air. “Criminey Matt, It’s 7 in the morning. Don’t you people sleep up there?”

“Hey there Paul, it isn’t my fault you stay up all night partying with wild women and intoxicating beverages. I’m checking in to see if you flatlanders have gotten your act together and are going to rescue my kittens?”

“No worries Matt, the snow cat crews are at Mabel’s right now spending their state vouchers on overpriced pancakes. If all goes to plan, they’ll be at your place around noon. Then back here in time for dinner. I’ll tell you the truth Matt, there are a few mighty anxious folks down here.”

“Well Paul, with one major exception, everybody is fine and ready for Mabel’s burgers and fries.”

There was a pause, “Major Exception? Oh lordy Matt, please don’t tell me that there is a body count?”

“Nothing like that Paul. BUT, you’ll need to send up a badge with the snow cat crew. Mr. St. Gaudens got a bit of cabin fever and pulled a gun on us. No worries right now. I’ve got him restrained, But I’d prefer the law take over, know what I mean?”

“OK Matt, No worries. I’ll come up myself. And I’ll light a fire under the cat crew. We’ll get up there as quick as possible.”

All of the kids, and Nigel had listened in on our conversation. I could see mixed relief, happiness, a touch or two of sadness, even a tear or two.

Turning to the crowd, I announced, “OK Guy’s, That’s the word. Your ticket back to the real world gets here in a couple of hours. Get all your gear together and sit back. I know you’re anxious and just a tad impatient. But don’t worry, your adventure is about over.”

What followed was a half hour of scrambling around, making sure that everything was ready. Then 6 kids and a trussed turkey, Nigel, impatiently waited.

Having experienced the military version of hurry up and wait, I decided to relieve the tension. I started reading from the Scarlet Pimpernel. Something that was totally unknown to all of them. They were quickly lost in the French Revolution, Guillotine’s and mob rule.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close