Missing Cats and Found Kittens - Cover

Missing Cats and Found Kittens

Copyright© 2019 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 13

As soon as I got the men folk taken care of. And all bundled up, in their PJ’s and blankets, I went in to the kitchen to give Suzy a hand.

“Matt, “ she whispered, “You do know who that is, right? Tell me you recognize the bastard.”

“Yep, I spotted him almost immediately. He didn’t recognize me until we got to the barn and I took off my cold weather gear.”

“Well, what are we going to do? What are YOU going to do?”

“What can I do Suzy? I can’t throw him out. He wouldn’t last 30 minutes in this weather. I can’t keep him in the barn. No telling what kind of mischief he would cause. The best thing I, we can do is keep an eye on him and stay alert.”

“I’ve got a bad feeling here Matt. The girls are afraid of him. They refuse to be in a room alone with him.”

“OK, I’ll let all the boys know that upstairs is off limits. In the meantime, Put these somewhere convenient.” I handed her a bundle of foot long flex ties I had brought back from the barn. “I hope we won’t need them, But I’d rather have then close by, just in case.”

While we were talking, we were also getting dinner ready for the guys. It was simple, Just a bone broth and veggie soup. The girls had gotten the same meal, earlier. A couple of slices of homemade bread and coffee. The While Suzy carried the bread, cups and utensils, I packed in the soup kettle and coffee pot.

We set everything on the sideboard and Suzy started handing out bowls and cups.

“That smells really good Ma’am, what is it?”

“Please call me Suzy, It’s a venison bone broth with veggies. Some from my garden, some wild. It’s hot and nutritious.”

Nigel was trying to elbow his way to the front of the line, when I stopped him. “Hang on your highness. The kids get theirs first. You and I can have what’s left, there’s plenty. He glared at me, but stopped trying to force the issue.

When it was his turn, He asked Suzy, “What is in this? I’m a vegan and don’t eat meat.” I was standing close behind him. “It’s a bone broth from a deer. A deer I hunted and killed. The veggies are from our garden. Now, you are a guest in my house. And I will do everything in my power to make you as comfortable as possible. That doesn’t include going out of my way to provide you with a special diet. If you don’t want what is provided, you don’t have to eat it. Just means more for me.”

Nigel stuck his nose up in the air, sniffed and said. “Well, At least tell me the bread is gluten free. I have an allergy to gluten and gluten products.”

I looked at Suzy, with a confused look. Which she mirrored. “What’s gluten? Never heard of it.”

Exasperated, Nigel explained. “Gluten comes from processed wheat flour. Is this bread made with almond, or soy flour?”

Suzy started laughing, “Mr. St. Gaudens, I don’t even know what that stuff is. So, as this is homemade bread, and damn fine bread at that, No, it isn’t Gluten?” Suzy looked at me, I just shrugged. “It isn’t gluten free. Now, do you want some or not?”

I could see that Nigel was getting frustrated. “NO, “ he snapped, “I won’t. I’ll just have a cup of coffee. Please tell me it’s free trade coffee.”

I spoke up, “I’ll tell you what your highness, we’ll set up a bowl of soup and a couple of slices of bread. Along with a cup of coffee. If you change your mind, it’ll be right over here waiting for you.” With that I grabbed my bowl, bread and coffee cup. With Suzy following I sat in one of the dining room chairs that had been brought in. Suzy sat next to me.

With everyone eating, well almost everyone, and in between bites, I explained the situation to the guys.

“Gentlemen, Let’s get something straight right now. You are guests in my house. As such I will do everything in my power to make your stay comfortable. I won’t say easy, I will expect a certain amount of assistance in running this household and homestead. You being here has in effect quadrupled Suzy’s and My work load. As well as the stress it has put on our supplies.”

I didn’t mention it, But I could see several feminine feet on the stairs.

“There is an increased need for water, therefore someone, or several someone’s will need to go to the pump outside and replenish our supply. There is also an increased need for firewood. As you may or may not have noticed, we do not have electricity. Our heating and cooking is done using fire. That means someone, or again several someone’s will need to cut and split firewood and haul it into the house.”

“As there are more mouths to feed, “ I paused and looked to Nigel. Who, while I had been talking, had started eating his soup and bread. “We, Both Suzy and I trade cooking duties, Will need help in the kitchen. And believe me, several of you will be needed.”

“Now, you can look on all this as a once in a lifetime adventure. Something to tell your grandkids about, and pitch in with gusto. OR, you can bitch and whine and complain the whole time. I won’t force you to work. I won’t deny you food, water and a warm place to sleep. BUT, and this probably will have absolutely no impact on your life, I will deny you My Respect. And Gentlemen, and you ladies listening in, Respect is all you have in this life that has any meaning. Respect for yourself, respect for others, for hard work, Family. These are the things that others will gauge you by. It is something that is difficult to earn. It requires effort and hard work. And it is easily lost. One little white lie and it disappears.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close