Missing Cats and Found Kittens
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2019 by UtIdArWa

Small town living has disadvantages, there won’t be a 10 acre megamart selling every conceivable form of celery. But there probably is a roadside Entrepreneur selling celery picked that morning. and at half the price of the celery imported from Peru.

Also being in a small town allows for a full community participation in special events. The local school play might not be boffo on Broadway, But Mom and Pop are certain that their little darlin’ did a damn fine job and is the next Brando or Streisand.

Then, If the town is small enough, and remote enough, there are the events that the primary purpose is to drawn in tourists. and, as gently as possible, separate those out of towners from their hard earned vacation dollars.

Elk City was concluding their annual Founders day celebrations. A week long extravaganza. designed for that very purpose. It included a fisherman’s breakfast, square dances, a parade, a craft and farmers market.

Suzy and I contributed to the festivities in several ways. I was tasked to flip pancakes for the fisherman’s breakfast. While Suzy served coffee. I think she got the better deal. She could circulate through the crowd talking and socializing. I was stuck next to the Mayor. Now Orville Barck is a good sort. He has tried to make a living selling and renting farm equipment. I can assure you the gift of gab he gained as a used car salesman was what put him in the Mayor’s office. That and the fact that nobody else wanted the job. It is actually possible to get a landslide victory when there are only 200 voters in the district, and nobody else wants the job.

When Orville found that I was apolitical and hadn’t voted in the last election, He tried his damndest to change my mind. The best he could get out of me was an assurance that I would think about it, when I had the time.

Suzy and I had also been conned into setting up a trapper’s camp setup. We set up our box tent inside Mable’s corral. This was because we were using our animals as part of the display. It was kind of a neat layout if you ask me. We had even borrowed some steeljaw traps from the museum.

I’m not a trapper, never been one, never had the need to be one. I understand trapping, The economy behind it. However, leg grip jaw traps are not my cup of tea. I’ll hunt an animal. searching for sign, tracking, stalking and killing. The only difference between me and any other predator is that I have a firearm. I know some people don’t agree with me, deny that shooting is more humane. Those same people have never watched a cougar rip the guts out of a mountain goat and then wait for it to die. Me, my preference is one shot, and in that instant, the animal is dead. I’ll never leave a wounded animal to suffer.

Be that as it may, I had borrowed a selection of traps from the museum. I was the resident mountain man and I was tasked with displaying and explaining a trapper’s camp. I had a lot of low lander city dweller questions, and not a few negative comments. I would smile and move to the next question. But I had decided this was the first and last time I would put up with this. They’ll need to find someone else next year. I’ll be heading to the high country and go fishing.

It was the last day and we were getting ready to head for home. That morning we had struck camp and cleaned up. The gear was packed and I was saddling the horses while Suzy settled accounts with Mable.

I had just adjusted Margarite’s cinch belt when Shadow started his low warning growl. He was behind me and when I turned, there was a group of young people gathered at the corral gate. I wasn’t too concerned, they appeared to be high school or early college age. I figured they had some questions about what I was doing. I should have relied on Shadows assessment.

“HI Guys, Can I help you?”

“Yeah Asshole, you can let your slaves go.”

I was literally dumbfounded. I understood the words, But the way they were spoken was confusing. “Excuse me?”

From a different source, “Fur is murder, let your slaves go.”

This was followed by a chorus of voices, yelling and screaming at me. It was hard, impossible to separate who was saying what. The gist seemed to be that I wasn’t a nice person and these folks wanted me to turn my stock loose. I think that the only thing that kept them on their side of the fence was Shadow. He had gone from his warning growl, to a full blown attack bark. Fortunately, I was able to grab his collar. And doubly fortunate that I had his leash and was able to hook it on.

This seem to inspire even more anger in the group. It was amazing to me that such a small group could make so much noise. Vulgar, mean, insulting noise. I remember some of the Iraqi mobs that could have learned how to spew verbal hate from these kids.

While all of this was going on. The kids screaming, the tourists watching and taking pictures, the locals standing with their jaws open, I saw Suzy and Paul approaching from different angles. Suzy from Mabel’s, Paul from the jail.

I can tell you the truth, I didn’t quite know what to do. I was packing my 1911 and Bowie. My Henry and the Greener were in their boots on Margarite. I could have fought a minor war with all the firepower I had available. But I knew that was the absolutely worse thing for me to do. If I was to pull a weapon, any weapon, even a slingshot would have been a red flag for this crowd. I would, IF I had to. But things hadn’t gotten to that level yet. I couldn’t retreat, which would probably cause these crazies to advance. Opening the gate and scattering the livestock. I was actually in the best place possible. That is with Shadow by my side. It was him more than anything else that was keeping the mob at bay.

Standing there with my brain in neutral and confused, Suzy took action. Reaching into her possibles pouch, she pulled out the train whistle that I had whittled for her. And gave a blast that probably could have been heard in Boise.

SILENCE

Everybody, friend, foe and voyeur turned towards Suzy. Paul, in uniform and standing next to Suzy with a double barrel shotgun, “ALRIGHT EVERYBODY SHUT UP!”

“You people by the fence, back up.” Reluctantly the crowd started backing up. They were encouraged when Suzy and Paul moved in between the crowd and myself. Shadow, seeing Suzy and recognizing Paul and his calming effect, stopped barking and sat down next to me.

Keeping any eye on the mob, Paul, over his shoulder asked, “What did you do this time Matt?”

“Honest to God Paul, I have no idea what’s going on. Or what started this.”

Paul and Suzy approached the mob at the gate, while I hung back with Shadow. Without my noticing, a guy stepped up next to me. Because he came from behind me and to the side, I figured he had stock in the corral. There were 4 or 5 other horses in there. Mabel’s set up was popular with the outfitters and backcountry folks.

“Pretty rowdy crowd, eh mate?” I wasn’t quite sure about that accent. It sounded British, not Australian or Irish. But I wasn’t an expert. He looked about mid 30’s. Black hair, cut sort of longish. And one of those little lip stashes on his chin. Just a little triangle of hair under his lower lip.

I wasn’t really paying any attention to him. As far as I was concerned, the action, and possible threats were at the front gate. Suzy and Paul appeared to have calmed them down. At least they had stopped yelling at me.

“So, Mate, who’s that delightful piece dressed like Pocahontas? I’ll bet she’s a real treat in the sack.” He was obviously referring to Suzy. She was still dressed in her buckskins and looked like an Indian maiden.

I spun towards the newcomer, “What did you just say?”

“Relax Mate, I was just curious. It’s obvious you own her. But is she available for rent?”

I SAW RED, I don’t remember doing it, I don’t remember thinking about it. Later, looking at the multitude of videos taken, there was no denying it. I hit that ass with the sweetest right hook since Gentleman Jim Corbett invented it. He went down like a sack of oats, and stayed down. and stayed down. And Stayed Down.

I’m not a fighter, I’m not an Ali or a Tyson. I have never knocked somebody out. Even on my best day, at my ideal weight, and training, I have knocked people down, but never out.

Within seconds the crowd went wild, screaming and yelling. Fortunately, Shadow was still by my side and had went back into defensive mode. Paul assessed the situation and called out, “Matt, we need to get you out of here. I haven’t seen a mob like this, ever. Let me put the cuffs on you and get you into the jail. At least until this calm’s down.”

Looking around at the spectators, Paul spotted Peter Jamison, He was a local day laborer who hung out around the corral looking for jobs with the tourists. “Peter, Call for an ambulance for this guy. Suzy, see if you can find Doc Stone and get him over here.”

Paul got me into his office as quickly as possible. As far as it being a jail, it wasn’t some big city hellhole. Crowded to the rafters with various lawbreakers. It also wasn’t a weekend cabin for Mayberry’s drunk. There were no embroidered pillow cases or rocking chairs in the cells.

After getting me into one of the four cells, He closed the door. I am not subject to claustrophobia, but being on the wrong side of a jail door and realizing you are stuck there, can make you think. Paul stood there for a moment, thinking. “OK Matt, here’s My plan. I’ll get a call into the circuit judge. and have him set a quick bail. Maybe if we’re lucky, he’ll set you out on your own recognizance. Then late tonight or early tomorrow morning, we’ll get you out of here and on your way back home.”

“There’s no way this is going to blow over, but after a couple of weeks, everybody will have a chance to calm down and then we’ll see if we can get any charges dropped. So, you sit tight, I’ll see about getting you lunch and we’ll get Suzy in here to keep you company.”

I really wasn’t in a position to argue. I also realized that I was probably in the best place possible right then. “OK Paul, it’s not like I’ve got a choice in the matter. But If you could make sure Suzy and My critters are alright, I’d appreciate it.”

“You’ve got it brother. Stay calm, I’ll be right back.”

for the next 4 hours nothing happened, nobody came by. I missed lunch, not that I couldn’t afford a missed meal or two. Still as time went by, I got more and more worried.

Chapter 2 »

Close