Abby - Cover

Abby

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

Chapter 54

The year drew to a close more quickly than any other year Abby had experienced. The last two weeks of November seemed inundated with rain; Abby had lain awake at night listening to the rain exploding in furious gusts on the window. The Lyney River became a torrent of brown swirling water, lapping up to the piers of both bridges threatening to overwhelm its banks. The threat was realised one morning when Abby intending to drive to Gallow Farm discovered the lower fields under a foot or so of water, the road on its embankment a causeway across the lake of sullen water. Looking up she saw that the hills were wearing a coverlet of snow a contrast to the dull browns of the deciduous trees and the lifeless greens of the pines. The road back to Molton was probably impassable with those steep gradients she remembered. Abby now understood what Sam had tried to tell her that the valley had moods and not all of them tranquil. Looking back at the warm spectacle of summer it was hard to envisage then the change that the winter would bring.

Work had continued at the station, but inside work only. The first delivery of meats had been made, and the second was about to leave. Feedback from the Club was extremely encouraging, and Abby turned her thoughts to where else she could place Combe Lyney produce. She was only thinking for the moment, understanding James' advice that she should get the system working, iron out the snags before taking the next step.

George Walker had redirected his workforce to the Station. There was little more that he could do at the house, until the Bathroom suite was delivered and that had been delayed until March. He wouldn't take the roof off or fit the windows until that happened, not wanting to leave the house open to the wet of the West Country winter. George believed that he would complete the station before the house. He told her why.

"No Electrical or plumbing to do. Getting the old plaster off and new lime plaster on will not take too long, stripping the wood of paint and priming and re-painting is easy. The Goods shed is even easier, no plastering to do. The only hold up will be the Barge boards. So I reckon they should be finished about March time."

With little to do down at the house, and with everything organised with the Co-op, Abby could relax and turn her thoughts to Christmas. A conversation with Sam one evening changed some of her plans. She had been contemplating her gift list when he had mentioned in passing the tradition of only exchanging presents with family and no one else. He went on.

"None of us has money to throw around, so such presents we do give are always very simple and not expensive, a little bottle of perfume or aftershave is normal." He went on. "Of course on Christmas Eve we all get together for the Carol Walk."

"Carol Walk! What is that?"

"As I said it's on Christmas Eve. We start at the Combe, leaving about eight. We have lanterns and some liquid sustenance to keep out the cold, and we go round the village singing Carols. Some will come out and join us on the way, and we end by going up to Lyney House, where Mr. James will have hot Toddies and Mince Pies ready for us. It brings the whole village together." Abby thought the idea was great.

"Can I join this year."

"Of course you can Girl. You will be very welcome."

Later Abby would realise that Sam had, in a very gentle way, advised her not go overboard with presents for all and sundry. It was a sobering thought, that she could easily have embarrassed some with presents that she thought of as inexpensive, that they could not match. She was in her room at the Inn when this thought came to her.

"Oh Sam. What would I do without you." She scrapped her list, leaving just Sam, Mavis, Jack and Mary, and of course James.

On Christmas Eve, she came down to the bar, dressed for the cold weather. A hot, flustered but nonetheless happy Jack met her and handed her a Lantern attached to a broom handle. Mary rushed around lighting the candles in the Lanterns. All around there were people she knew, most holding Lanterns such as the one she had. For once even the Weather, the Farming and the bloody Government were not discussed. No one appeared to be in charge until Mavis appeared. The little woman soon had everyone organised and one by one the assembly filed out into the lane. Abby was greeted immediately by Abe and Sheila, who had waited patiently outside, happy to join the Carol Walk, but not prepared to waive their condemnation of the demon drink, even for a moment. Sheila took Abby's arm.

"Miss Abby, it is so good to see you on this joyous occasion, God bless you." Abe joined in the blessing with a smile, not usual for him. The throng moved off down the lane, with the strains of 'God rest ye Merry Gentlemen' at first heard quietly from the front of the file, and gathering volume as those at the back joined in.

Abby sang lustily, surprised that she could remember the words, as they patrolled the village. Her singing was frequently interrupted as greetings were exchanged with others. Nat was almost unrecognisable, his face sporting a smile which was very different to his normal mournful expression. Susan, still embarrassed by her faux pas again tried to apologise. Harry surprised her with his tuneful Bass singing voice.

"You should be in the Church Choir." She told him. He grinned.

"I was when we had one, that was a few years ago though." There was no apparent programme of carols, it appeared spontaneously, when one Carol finished from somewhere in the pack another was started and the rest of the singers took up the refrain. Neither was there any one person in charge, apart from Mavis who bullied anyone she thought was not singing as lustily as possible. However the singers seemed to follow a pattern, probably bought about, thought Abby, by the years this event had taken place. The habits of yesteryear becoming tradition today. The throng grew steadily as the progress was made, until at last they climbed the lane up to Lyney House. As they gathered in the forecourt, lit by Christmas lights strung from tree to tree, and the flickering illumination of at least fifty Lanterns, the Carol 'Silent Night' was sung, with James on the doorstep adding a good baritone to the impromptu Choir. As that Carol ended Mavis led half a dozen ladies inside only to emerge within a minute, carrying trays of Mince Pies, and hot fruit punch. Abby was entranced by the whole episode, never before had she felt so involved with a community, laughing and singing and saying hello to many new friends.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close