Abby
Chapter 53

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

When Mavis and Sam came into the Combe that Saturday night, Mavis immediately looked around for Abby. She looked enquiringly at Mary, who had a very smug look.

"Abby?" she asked Mary.

"Gone up to the House."

"Will she be back a bit later?"

"Don't think so," replied Mary, "had an overnight case with her."

"Oh!" In that exclamation, Mavis had invested more meaning than a sentence fifty words long could have described. Mary nodded as if she had understood every word of that sentence. Sam looked from one to the other, and that look carried a warning that neither of the women could mistake.

"That's nice." Mavis dared not say anything more

Abby was sitting down to a Lasagne that looked and smelt superb. She held a glass of Valpolicella and waited for James to sit down. He wiped the sweat from his brow, washed his hands and sat. He grinned at her.

"This is going to be the best meal I have had in ages."

"Oh, boasting are we? Shouldn't you await my judgement before you can say that?" Abby protested.

"Doesn't matter what the food tastes like. You are sitting opposite me, and that would make any meal exquisite." Abby blushed. James did not say this with his usual flippant tone. He was quite serious, and she felt warmth spread though her body. She lifted her glass to him.

"Food and Love. What more could a girl want." She hesitated a moment. "Except possibly some Parmesan, if you have any?' James looked over the table with horror."

"I thought I put some out." He dashed off and came back with the packet.

"I meant to put it into a dish. I am sorry."

"Doesn't matter, James. Everything else is right. I would hate to think that you are completely perfect. Wouldn't do at all." James had that lascivious look on his face.

"No not perfect, in fact I can be very bad at times."

"Oh Good. I feel like being very bad myself tonight."

The Lasagne was very good, the wine was very good, and the company was also very good. Relaxed and with her appetite satiated, Abby sat back nursing her glass, and anticipated the rest of the evening with excitement. James suggested a tour of the house, as Abby had never before ventured further than the ground floor. They took their glasses and James picked up the bottle of wine. The staircase creaked as they went up, the wide steps allowing them to walk side by side. She toured the first floor with interest, James apologising for one or two of the rooms, which to all intents and purposes did not seem to have been used for years. At one end of the upstairs hall was another staircase, which James explained led down directly to the kitchen. Opposite another ascended towards the second floor, a steeper, less generous in width staircase. Uncarpeted their footsteps on this stair sounded loudly and hollow. The rooms up here had angled ceilings as the gables of the roof encroached on them. They were smaller and utilitarian, with just one toilet and bathroom between the four bedrooms. The servants; and these rooms had obviously been staff quarters; had been accommodated in the most utilitarian circumstances.

Her tension mounted as she realised that James was saving his bedroom until last, knowing that once they reached there, they would not be leaving until the morning. They went back down to the first floor and finally he opened the last door. She was surprised, having expected a very masculine room. Instead she walked into a well appointed room, shades of lemon and cream gave a warm and peaceful atmosphere, whilst the furniture of naturally stained Pine was a good classic but not antique style. A large two seat settee and a club chair, gave her the impression that James would spend quite a lot of time here. The double bed was Pine, with a simple slatted headboard against which the pillows rested. She stood taking this in, when James stepping up behind her wrapped his arms around her, his hands neatly cupping her breasts. Her wiggle let him know that this was encouraged, and he adroitly unbuttoned her blouse, and slid his right hand in, surprised that he was suddenly touching bare skin.

"Abby, my Darling, you seem to have forgotten something." She nodded; her eyes closed as he ran caressed her

"I thought it would save you the bother of taking it off. And it's not the only thing I forgot either."

"What do you mean?"

"Try somewhere else." She murmured. He ran his free hand down her flank to the hem of her skirt. His hand then travelled upwards, taking the hem with it. All he found was Abby.

"You naughty girl!"

"I thought you would like that." He turned her so that he could kiss her. Nothing was said for a moment, as their passions heated with the deep kiss. Finally their mouths unglued and James breathed deeply before replying

"I love it."

"Well you did say I could be as brazen as I like, and I have loved the feeling all evening of being ready for my Lover." She breathed deeply as James explored. "Oh!" Abby gasped as his left hand found the sensitive spot. She leaned back into his embrace and enjoyed the sensations. Her passion built until she needed more.

"Undress me, James, and take me to your bed," she whispered in his ear, "I don't think I can wait much longer."

Although Abby no longer felt that she had to keep her relationship with James a secret, she hadn't counted on her movements being discussed throughout the valley. Abby had not thought of Lizzie's contribution to the local news. Lizzie had come up to Lyney House early to feed and muck out the horses, and was surprised to see Abby's car at the front. It was covered in dew, so had not been used since the day before. At first she imagined that James and Abby were out somewhere in his Land Rover, but upon seeing that in the yard, also covered in dew, her over active imagination went into overdrive and a little smile came to her lips. Later that day the gossip was disseminated to whoever she met. Lizzie was naturally friendly, and having grown up in the valley knew everyone. Lizzie was also an incorrigible gossip so within twenty four hours the news that Abby had stayed overnight at the house had spread for miles. She enjoyed the success of passing on original news, but was dismayed that her grandmother and grandfather did not seem to be interested at all. It was almost as if they knew already, thought Lizzie despondently. There was another farm where this news was greeted with less than satisfaction. Most families being happy that James and Abby were getting together. There was no censure for the couple, it was Nature's way and they anticipating with pleasure the marriage which they felt sure would follow. The one area where the pleasure of that event was greeted with less than a smile was at Lower Valley Farm, where Abe and Sheila had worried faces.

"We shall pray for the young couple," decided Abe with Sheila's agreement, "That they will see the error of their ways, and seek the Lord's blessing on their union with a marriage." His hand was laying on the large Bible, as it always did when he felt the need to invoke his Lord to strengthen his argument. He would not think any the less of Abby, nor James. His interpretation of his Methodism did not allow for pointing the finger at Sinners, as he believed that it wasn't his place to accuse nor judge. The Good Lord would do that at the day of Judgement. It gave him a jolt when Sheila suggested that this may be the Lords way of bringing the young couple together. He had to think about that. He was usually so certain in his opinions, and was used to his wife agreeing with everything he said. That she should disagree was a surprise but not upsetting. In his philosophy God had not set him as the superior in this marriage. He would not argue with her, as usual he left it to the Lord to decide.

"The Lord does move in mysterious ways. We cannot hope to fathom His reasons. We shall pray for them, and for guidance." Abe was usually long-winded in his prayers, today was going to be a bit of a marathon.

Her work on the co-op could be put on hold for a while, as she was waiting for the registration of the enterprise to come through. Abby decided to go down to her house on Monday morning to see what was happening. George Walker was there and was pleased to see her.

"I was going to phone you. I have had the specification for the station from Ms. Eaton, which basically confirms what we discussed. So I want to get a crew in there soon." He handed her a letter. "That is an estimate for you. I have tried to pare it down as much as possible, but I have to stick with the specification." Abby quickly ran her eye over the costs, and looked up saying.

"Go ahead, Mr. Walker. Shall we say the same terms and stage payments?"

"Thank you, Miss Abby. It will be a first rate job I assure you. Now about the Goods Shed. I had a look at it last week, and it seems to be in sound condition. They built well in those days. So what I was thinking." He paused.

"Yes?" Abby encouraged him to say his piece.

"I can just do a tidy up job if you want. Check the roof, point and paint. Funnily enough it hasn't been listed, I can't understand why, but it hasn't." Abby gave that some thought.

"Do you still have the photograph from Mr. Brasher?"

"No, the heritage people have it, but I can get it back. Why?"

"I wanted to check if the barge boards were carved like the station."

"I can answer that. Yes they were. If you are going to ask me to replicate those as well, it can be done but it will cost you a bit more."

"Let me know please. I will probably have it done, as it's going to be part of the atmosphere here, so it ought to be exactly as it was."

"Ok. I'll work it out as soon as possible. Then if you agree I will get my carpenter started on the whole lot. That will take him two or three months I reckon."

They turned back to the house.

"I am finishing off inside. Everything will be done except the cold water tank and the bathroom. The bathroom suite will not be here for a couple of months anyway, so it seems best to do that and the cold water tank at the same time." They walked in. The change was enormous. The fitted unit with a Belfast sink gleamed. Cupboards had been built along the wall over the sink, and the walls were totally smooth, with the electric sockets flush with the surface.

"I have put in the boiler for the central heating; it's in this cupboard here." He opened one of the wall cupboards just to the left of the sink. "The balanced flue has gone through the wall and vents outside. It will not be seen when we put the veranda up. Now, have you thought about the colour you want on the walls?" Abby shook her head.

"No I haven't given it any thought at all." George was humming.

"Well I would like to get some paint on when the plaster skim has dried completely. If I may make a suggestion?"

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close