Abby - Cover

Abby

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

Chapter 51

Abby was happy as she mentally ticked off the things she had to do. She felt worthwhile again. The next most important job was to meet the co-operative. She had calculated roughly what turnover the Club could provide, and its value. It was actually worth more than she originally thought, having not understood how many meals they would serve, that surprised her. She drove up to Lyney House where she saw both Gwen's Jaguar, and James' Land-Rover. Abby was piqued, there were things that she should have noticed, but it was only now, after talking with Richard and Maggie, that the significance of the two cars became clear. James drove around in a battered old Land-Rover. Gwen enjoyed the comfort and luxury of a relatively new, top of the range Jaguar. She drove round the stable yard without announcing her presence. Her second line had been connected so she was straight onto the internet to check the latest prices.

She was working on her ideas for building the business when James put his head round the door. "Hey Miss Wheeler-Dealer, Tea and cake is on the table. Mother says to come and join us." Abby grinned.

"Who made the cake?'

"Who else, but this chief cook and bottle washer that you see before you."

"I'm on my way. Before you go, James. There is something I would like to run past you." He entered the office and waited. Abby got out the list of requirements for the Club. Walking round the desk, she held her face up for a kiss. Only after that greeting would she get to the nub of her query.

"Look at this list; do you think this is possible?" He scanned the list quickly.

"Every week?"

"No, about every ten days."

"The Lamb and Pork, they could certainly do, but the beef I reckon will be at a push." Abby then showed him the price per kilogram she had agreed.

"Good grief! That's good. A fair increase on what they get now."

"Yes, well don't forget we have to pay for transport. I have costed in the prices the abattoir quoted me, but Richard has offered me a deal sharing his transport. That will ease the burden." She put the papers back in the file, and smiled up at James.

"Lead me to the tea please, James."

Gwen was as friendly as ever. "Sit down Abby, the tea's freshly made; I'll pour you a cup. James tells me you have become very busy of late, and you haven't been to see me. It won't do you know, you have to relax sometime."

"Sorry Gwen. There is a lot to do at the moment; hopefully soon I will have more time."

"How's your little house getting along?" Gwen asked sweetly, hoping that Abby would make the comparison with Lyney House. Now Abby understood Gwen's character and her devious mind, the comment did not upset her, and she determined to serve like for like.

"Oh there's such a lot of work still to be done. Every time I go down there Mr. Walker seems to coax me into spending more money. The bathroom suite I chose will not go up the stairs, so it has to go through the window, and then I end up agreeing to replace all the windows with UPVC double glazing." Gwen would have loved to ask how much money Abby was spending, but her upbringing and dignity would not allow. Instead she murmured. Abby had mentioned the money frequently as she was aware of Gwen's pre-occupation with wealth.

"Oh well, I am sure you will be quite comfortable in your cottage, and it will have been worth it." James was aware that something was going on, but for the life of him he could not fathom what. He invited Abby to taste some his cake.

"Yes please, James." Abby was happy to move away from the sparring with Gwen. With her mouth full of cake it absolved her from making a reply to Gwen's last sally. With her mouth finally empty of the delicious cake she turned to James.

"That cake is wonderful, full marks, James. Now I have to have a meeting of the members of the co-operative. Would you have any objection if we had it in the Estate office?"

"None at all, it's your office now." Gwen wasn't too happy about this. Even though it wasn't actually in the house, it was close enough, and it rankled, having the people she thought of as inferior class in her home.

"Will there be enough room?" She queried, hoping that James would say no. James had little doubt.

"I would think so; most of them seemed to crowd in on Quarter day when Father was alive." Abby agreed.

"Yes, I shall push the desk back against the wall; I think that will give us enough room for all the chairs." For Gwen the world had gone mad. They were going to be invited to sit as well. The next day she was gone again, not wishing to be there when all these farmers came to her house, and sat down!.

The meeting was quite lively. Abby, with James' help had pushed the big desk against the wall, so that she would be sitting with them rather than addressing them from behind the desk. Geoff Corliss came a little early so that he could discuss with Abby how he could be part of the co-operative. He seemed pleased with her answers. With all in attendance she outlined her proposals, once more. Then asked.

"You have all had time to think about it. Later you will have the chance to air any problems. In the meantime these are the requirements that the Club has." She handed round copies of the list to everyone. "And these are the prices they will pay." Again copies were handed round. Even Nat was disposed to lighten his countenance when he saw these. Abby continued.

"But you will not get those prices. The co-operative will buy from you at your normal local price per kilo deadweight." Harry was immediately on the attack.

"But that's not right!" Abby calmed him down.

"You will all trade at present prices. That means that Mr. Stone will sell yearlings as present, you Roger, Harry, Nat and Geoff, will sell to the co-op at existing rates. The co-op will sell to new customers at these higher prices. There will be a full accounting kept, and every six months, all members of the co-op; and that means all of you; will receive a dividend based on the difference, less operating expenses. The dividend will be based upon the number of your stock which is moved this way. We can use the animal's passport as a way of checking what has been sold through the co-op, and pay dividends accordingly. Mr. Stone will receive his dividend based upon the number of yearlings sold on for fattening which pass through the co-ops system. This is a Partnership, so you are still self-employed and Dividends have to be declared as earnings. This system may not be perfect. It may well be that we have to fine tune it later. What we have is basically a marketing arrangement; in the future we can expand it to cover purchases of feed etc. to get better deals. If it all works well, and we get more customers it may be necessary to get our own cold-store and transport, but that is a long way in the future. Let's start small and see how it goes." Questions then came fast and furious, and Abby was able to answer most of them to the general satisfaction. She then went on to ask her big question.

"You have seen the list of requirements. Can this be done?" Abby did not get an immediate answer. Heads were put together as Farmers who are notoriously secretive suddenly found that they had to reveal facts to their neighbours. Sam, who had listened and watched quietly, eventually stopped all the discussion by answering the question.

"Yes, Abby it can be done. There's enough finished stock in this valley, if you include Bullocks, Beeflings and Baby Beef to see us through. It may become a problem if there are other outlets taking similar quantities, so it may be an idea if Abe gets his Bull to run with the cows a little more." Abe was quite happy and therefore laughed at Sam's suggestion. Abby had resolved all his doubts, as he would share equally with the others the profit based upon what was sold on to the co-op. He did have one question which the others seemed to have overlooked.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close