Abby
Chapter 44

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

The path now was quite open and to Abby's eyes level. James looked over to her. "How about a Trot for a while."

"No I don't think so, James. I don't believe my riding skill is up to that." James reasoned with her.

"Abby, as you intend to stay here, it would make sense to improve, then you can ride as often as you wish. Come on," he cajoled, "just a little, say about a hundred yards." Abby was fearful, but didn't want to show that fear in front of James.

"Oh, alright, but just for that hundred yards. What do I do?"

"Well you have to transfer your weight onto your legs, and as Jason trots you will find the way to rise and fall, without slamming back into the saddle. Lean forward, get most of your weight in the stirrups and let your knees grip the side of the saddle." Abby did that. The strain on her legs muscles caused them to quiver.

"This is difficult."

"It will get easier when Jason trots, believe me."

"How do I get him to trot then?"

"Just rap him smartly with the reins and click your tongue a couple of times so he can hear." Abby did that and Jason immediately quickened his pace. The strain on her legs was strong, but she soon found that the rise and fall motion helped a lot. James was beside her, riding easily, but watching her closely to make sure she was safe.

"That's good, you've got it." The horses trotted on and Abby was sure they had gone much further than the one hundred yards that James had suggested. She looked at him in alarm, and he immediately told her to pull back on the reins with both hands. She did so and Jason dropped back to a walk.

"Phew! I don't know if I would want to ride like that for any distance." James was grinning again.

"You did well for a beginner. When you get your leg muscles used to it, you will find it quite comfortable. Then when you get to Canter and Gallop, it is exhilarating." Abby shook her head.

"No James. I shall content myself with walking Jason. That's quite enough for me." Her leg muscles were shaking with the effort, but gradually calming now. "Your mother rides Jason a lot when she is down, doesn't she?"

"Yes, she is absolutely mad. Takes the horse up to the moor and gallops him furiously. I am certain that she will break her neck one day. Jason arrives back sweating like anything, and Lizzie has to wipe him down and walk him around for some time to calm him." He broke off to point out to Abby the Viaduct which was almost abreast of where they were.

"We can get on the old track soon." He explained.

That was sooner than Abby expected. The Bridle path turned casually to the right, and Abby saw the crossing just fifty yards away. It was obvious from the stout timber posts that were still in situ that the railway had treated this almost as importantly as the crossing at the station. The gates were long gone, but other artefacts reminded the viewer of the use that had been made of the crossing. A hard rubble packed with soil and weed was all that remained of the ballast, yet Abby could define where everything had been. The track bed was obvious, unlike the track bed further down the valley, here little use had been made of the way, all it required would be ballast and rails and trains could run once more. James pointed out the way to the right.

"If we go down that way it isn't far to the viaduct." Abby agreed.

"Let's do it." They turned the horses heads and rode side by side. Abby commented on why the track was still evident after all these years.

"I mean the track down by Combe Lyney is still there, and has become a agricultural way, but here it is as if nothing has happened in forty years."

"No point. The road and railway ran almost parallel to Paverton, and there is no farm hereabouts that could find a use for the track. The Forestry Commission use it from time to time, but that's it." Abby gave that some thought.

"So this track can be used all the way to Paverton?"

"Almost. The Station site at Paverton has been cleared, and is now used as a light Industrial site, but you could ride pretty well all the way if you wished." He saw the eagerness in Abby's face. "We will do that, but it would be better to wait until next Spring, the winds across the moor can be pretty fierce."

The track, due to its purpose curved gently through a turn of some ninety degrees, and brought them to the threshold of the viaduct. Abby looked across to where they had stopped on the first ride. It seemed so long ago now. James halted them and Abby dismounted. They were in a small cutting from where the track seemed to launch itself onto the viaduct. This was in the Sun, yet excluded the light breeze that had brought a little chill to the air.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close