Abby - Cover

Abby

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

Chapter 41

When Sam came in that evening, Abby left them to talk, and moved to a position by the bar, which by now the regulars were coming to know as her place. She had not been there long when a tall lugubrious man who she had seen before but apart from nodding had no conversation, approached her. He didn't seem too pleased with her.

"Miss Tregonney, I will thank you not to get involved in business which is nothing to do with you. You come down here, fresh from your City and think you can tell us how to do things. You know nothing about farming, so please keep your nose out of our affairs. That is all I have to say. Goodnight to you." Abby was so taken aback that she didn't know what to say. Fortunately Jack had overheard the diatribe.

"Nat! If you leave now you will never be welcome in this place again. I would like you to apologise to Abby." His raised voice stopped every conversation in the Bar, and brought Sam to see what was going on. Nathaniel Gaunton, for that was who he was, furiously pointed a quivering finger at Abby.

"That young Lady is trying to tell me how I should run my Farm. I won't have it. I have got on well enough all these years without a slip of a girl; who knows nothing about farming; offering me advice I don't need." Sam was not going to stand there and allow Abby to be shouted at.

"Nat! Don't you dare point your finger like that, it is insolent. Abby is not telling you how to run your Farm. She merely passed on a request from the Gentleman who I was talking to just now, about possible supplies, on a regular basis, of produce. That was all she did. She has no wish to get involved any more than that. Now if you don't feel the need to have a new customer you are obviously doing better than you let on. You were always one to have a short temper and jumping to the wrong conclusion. Now calm down, and let us have a talk about this." He led Nathaniel away.

Abby had still not said anything, still shocked at the outburst. Well aware that she may have been thought of as interfering, she had not thought that it could lead to this. Jack put a drink in front of her.

"Here, Abby. Drink this; it will calm your nerves." He then turned to prevent Mary, who had heard the ruckus from her kitchen, going round to give Nat a piece of her tongue. "Leave it Mary. Sam's dealing with it." Mary was fuming.

"I'll give that Nat what for. He is not coming in here and speaking to Abby like that." Jack calmed her down.

"It's all right, Love. Sam is talking to Nat, and I am sure in a moment Nat will be apologising to Abby."

As Abby calmed she realised that Mr. Brasher was left alone, and probably wondering what all the fuss was about. She took her drink and went into the Lounge to sit with him. She explained that there had been a misunderstanding.

"I did not hear it all, Abby, but I did hear Sam say that it was about Farm produce. I hope it wasn't anything to do with my request."

"No. Mr. Brasher. It was more to do with the way I went about it. That man thought I was interfering."

"If my enquiry is causing any unpleasantness, then I shall withdraw. I don't want to be the source of discord between you and your new neighbours."

"No, Mr. Brasher, you are not at fault. As I said it is a misunderstanding, and Mr. Perry is sorting it out now. Anyway, Mary has told me that there is a large joint sitting in her Cold Room at the moment. It will be packed with ice for when you go." He brightened.

"Well at least I shall enjoy some more of this superb meat at my Club. There are one or two members upon whom it will be wasted of course, but that cannot be helped. Can you tell me, who do I have to reimburse?" Abby wondered herself about this, but concluded that the items would appear on his Bill.

"I would imagine that it will be included on your account from the Inn." He nodded.

"That will be fine. If this is acceptable to my Club, to whom should we address further orders?"

"May I get in touch with you about that? That is where the little misunderstanding lay. There are four major producers in the valley. They need to sort out their own system of co-operation. Farmers it would appear are very independent, and resentful of what they consider outside interference." He gently shook his head in understanding.

"I think I know what you mean. Sam appeared to be very much in favour though." All this time, Abby had been keeping an eye on Sam and Nathaniel, heads close in earnest discussion by the door. She was pleased that eventually Nathaniel seemed to nod his head, and a more benign expression came to his demeanour. They came over to where Abby sat with Mr. Brasher.

"Excuse me Mr. Brasher, but could Nat have a word with Abby."

Abby got up and went to the other side of the room with Nathaniel. He coughed a little and looked embarrassed. "Miss Tregonney, would you please forgive me for my outburst. Sam has explained everything to me, and I realise that I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Unfortunately, as Sam pointed out, it is one of my failings. Please do accept my apology." Abby was happy to do this.

"Mr. Gaunton. Please do not worry about it. I do realise that as a newcomer I should not interfere, and truly that was not my intention. Would you in turn forgive me if it appeared that way?" The smile came to Nat's face.

"Miss Tregonney, there is nothing to forgive you for. May I buy you a drink?" Abby ignoring the fact that she already had a drink on the table, accepted, and they walked to the Bar together, where Mary awaited them with a face that could blister paint. She appeared somewhat mollified when Nathaniel asked Abby what drink she would like, and Abby happily asked for a Vodka and Tonic. Mary's temper eased as they chatted without rancour. However Jack murmuring in her ear.

"See, Sam sorted it out." Did not please her, and she snapped at him.

"We're running out of glasses, get some in." Jack grinned, and went off to collect some empties.

It is a curious aspect of Life that those who originally may be thought of as your enemy, turn into a strongest supporter. Thus it was with Nathaniel Gaunton, who became a spirited advocate for Abby. Urging the others, not that they needed urging, to enlist Abby's help in encouraging this new customer. Abby spent quite some time accessing the internet learning as much as she could about Fatstock and prices. She was aware that this could come to nothing, but reasoned that if it succeeded, she should be prepared. It came as a relief to her when the weather which had been consistently squally, relented and produced one of those fine autumn days of Sun, light breeze, and comparative warmth. She walked down to the station, filling her lungs with clean fresh air, and enjoying stretching her legs. If she had expected an oasis of tranquillity, as she usually achieved, she was surprised. Outside the Goods Shed a bonfire was billowing grey smoke towards the sky. Whilst in front of her house were parked a Lorry and a Van. Men were loading her grandfather's furniture into the Van. The first thought was alarm, until she noticed the Logo on the side of the van proclaiming it to belong to George Walker. The Man himself was there supervising the work. He greeted Abby cheerfully.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close