Abby - Cover

Abby

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

Chapter 34

Abby had thought she had got over her announcement quite well. Truth or not it satisfied neither Mary nor Mavis, and much to Sam's disquiet after Abby had gone to bed, their conversation was full of the possible consequences. Not that they were outraged, far from it, this to them was further proof that the two young people were getting close. Mavis had not told Sam about Mary's reporting the scene after the Ball. So it was a surprise to him when Mavis mentioned it. It wasn't wholly a surprise to Sam. He had seen the burgeoning relationship in the small gestures that James and Abby used when they opened the station and house. To him is seemed reasonable to accept that they would get to this point. He hadn't mentioned this to his wife, not wanting to add more fuel to the fire she was making. He felt that things were going along naturally without interference. He had to say something when Mavis said to Mary.

"I wonder if Abby is taking that Birth control pill. Probably not, good thing too." Mary was with her on that.

"Oh yes. If Abby were to get pregnant, James would not hesitate to marry her."

Sam had enough. "Now listen you two. James and Abby are getting on well enough. They don't need you talking about it like it was in one of those Sunday papers. In fact, if it got to their ears the way you are going on, I would not be surprised if Abby gave up all her plans and left Combe Lyney for good, rather than be the subject of all your gossip. Now put a stop to it the pair of you." Only rarely did Sam talk to his wife like this, but when he did she listened, not without a rumble of self-righteousness, but she listened and understood when she had overstepped the line. This was one of those occasions. Mary had never heard him like this, and it frightened her. She was treading a fine line between friendship and commercial common sense. If her customers thought she was an out of control gossip, they would not be so pleased to patronise the Combe Inn. She exchanged glances with Mavis and could see that Mavis for all her fiery nature was taking notice.

The autumn ate insidiously into the last flirt of summer. With the days getting shorter Abby felt she had little time to get all the things done she was planning. George Walker had phoned and asked if he could meet to discuss the work she wanted done, they arranged to meet at the Combe Inn. She phoned Michael the Porter at her block of flats and told him she would be there on Sunday, and then Sir Richard phoned her to tell her that his acquaintance was very interested in the Flat. Abby had gone on the internet and now had a figure in mind. She told Richard what she was looking for.

"I shall put it on the market for seven hundred thousand, Richard. I bought an extension on the lease, so there is ninety-four years on it, the price reflects that, but it is still favourable for the area, and I will not move on that."

"I don't think that would be any problem." He replied. "From what I gather Bernard needs to move quite quickly. When are you going to be there?"

"I am going down Sunday, and will be returning here on Tuesday."

"Damn. He's will be in Tokyo then, won't be back until the following Friday."

"There isn't a problem. If he identifies himself to Michael, the Porter, he will show him around."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, that will be fine. Give me the name." Richard did that, spelling out the surname as it seemed to have East European origins.

"That's good. I'll leave all the details with Michael, and if your friend wants the place he can put his solicitors in touch with mine."

"Don't worry, Abby. I will tell him. I said before he was only an acquaintance, not a friend, so I am not going to ask for a favour on his behalf. He's well-heeled anyway, been based in Paris, but has to move to London, so will want to complete quickly. When are we going to see you and James?"

"I'll give you a call when I get back next week, if that's ok?"

"I look forward to it. Enjoy your time in London."

Abby then turned her attention to the station and house, she mentioned George Walker's visit to James, who said that as the Landowner he would like to be there.

"If you don't mind, of course."

"Don't be so silly, James. Of course I don't mind. As you say, you are the Landlord and have a right to know what is being done with the property."

George had worked out his sums and quoted a figure which left James gasping. Abby didn't turn a hair, merely asking if that was an estimate or a quote.

"Oh, an estimate." replied George. "Based upon my inspection. I have spoken to the Conservation Officer, and she will come down with a list of requirements. It would appear though that within reason there will be no problems. Your intentions for the station have pleased English Heritage. They seem to have passed this on the Nod, makes me think that someone has put the word in." He gave Abby and then James an enquiring look. Neither of them thought it politic to mention Abby's conversation with Councillor Wates. Getting no explanation he carried on. "I will need to find some details, though. How the Barge Boards were decorated and such. You mentioned someone who you thought could provide some evidence of that." Abby nodded. "Yes, my contact, Mr. Brasher should be able to furnish all that. I do have some photos taken in the fifties, though I don't know if they will show enough detail for you."

"Anything will be helpful. But the final figure will depend on how much I have to employ specialist craftsman. They don't come cheap you know."

Abby had already made her mind up.

"Your estimate is a good guide, but I wouldn't want a variation above say five percent without discussion. Is that acceptable to you?" George nodded. He had already built in an overrun, so five percent gave him plenty of latitude. Abby then made him very happy.

"Would you like stage payments?" George was very agreeable to that.

"That would be good. I'll get a programme of work out for you, and we can discuss the percentages for the various stages."

"Will you get started as soon as possible?"

"I can get men in the house within a couple of weeks. I shall see the Heritage lady next week, wouldn't want to start anything at the station until I have seen her. When we know what we are facing then I can plan accordingly." James had something to say.

"I would imagine that the work will take a month or two?" George looked uneasily at James, hoping he wasn't going to ask for the work to be done in a hurry.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close