Abby - Cover

Abby

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

Chapter 33

Abby was having breakfast on the Monday morning when the phone rang. Mary answered it, and had a brief conversation with the caller, before coming into the Lounge.

"Abby, it's for you." She immediately thought it would be George Walker, and was surprised at how quick he had been, when Mary said. "It's Sir Richard Welling." Abby's surprise showed by her raised eyebrows. The phone was on the Bar, so Abby walked round.

"Hello Sir Richard, how are you?"

"Now Abby, I thought we had covered that bit. It's Richard. I'm well thanks. Have you caught up on your sleep yet?"

"Yes thanks I have. It's good to hear from you, Richard. A surprise as well."

"Well I don't call everybody after the Ball. But I thought I would ring and ask if you enjoyed yourself."

"I did, thank you, very much. Something very new for me I have to say, but very enjoyable."

"It didn't seem as if you were not used to such functions. You fitted in as if you were born to it. Maggie reckons you were the star."

"Thanks for saying that Richard, but to tell the truth I was a bundle of nerves."

"Now, Abby I don't believe that." He laughed. "I rang because Maggie and I were thinking to ask you and James over for some lunch one day. What do you say?" Abby thought for a moment.

"That's very kind of you. I shall speak to James when I see him; I am going to London for a few days shortly. May I call you when I get back?"

"Of course you may. You're not going back to move money around again for that Bank, I hope."

"No, no. I am going to clear my flat and put it on the market."

"Oh? And where is your flat? If you don't mind me asking." Abby explained where the flat was.

Richard listened carefully. Then asked about the accommodation.

"It's a two bedroom, serviced flat. Private underground parking with twenty-four hour porter."

"Abby, can I get back to you possible later today or tomorrow. I know someone who is looking for a flat in Kensington. If I were to put him in touch with you, could save a little on Estate Agents fees. Would you mind?"

"No, not at all."

"And Abby. He is just an acquaintance, not a friend. So don't think I am asking for a special deal. Find out the market price, and that's what you ask of him." Abby agreed with him, although when it came to money she had learned her lessons in the City, and knew the value of the last Penny. It hadn't entered her head to offer this man a special price.

"I'll get back to you as soon as I have spoken to him. Goodbye, Abby."

"Goodbye, Richard, and thanks."

Abby wanted to ask James about coming to London, but didn't want to do it here, in the Inn. She decided to go down to the station for a while. She felt there was a good chance that James would suddenly appear. She was right. He did. He rode up on Cass about half an hour after she got there.

"Good morning Abby. How are you today?"

"Morning James. I'm well thanks. How are you? Thrown any peasants out today?" The laughter was in her face. He grinned.

"No, I must be getting soft in my old age."

"You didn't look old on Saturday night, gallivanting around the floor." He smiled, and dismounted. Cass followed him as he walked towards her. Abby held her face up, and was delighted when he kissed her. Cass put a stop to that by nudging Abby with her nose demanding a fuss.

"I can do that here," James remarked, "that is if Cass will let me, but if I tried at the Inn, the bush telegraph would be fizzing." Abby laughed.

"Yes I know. I don't think it would be a good idea. I am glad to see you. Richard phoned this morning, and asked if you and I would like to go over for Lunch one day. I said I would ask you, and get back to him."

"Sounds good to me, unless he is going to try and sell me that useless piece of land again. Yes, let's go. When do you think?"

"Ah, well there is something else I want to ask. It's a bit of a favour really. I have decided to go to London for a day or so. Basically to pack up the flat, and put it on the market."

"Burning your boats are you?" Abby nodded.

"Yes I suppose you could say that, although the decision was made a while ago. The thing is that I would like some company, otherwise I may get maudlin. It's a big favour I know, but would you come with me?"

Abby was pleased to see that James did not have to think about his answer.

"Of course I will come with you." He replied immediately. "When are you thinking of going?" Abby's thinking had not extended to deciding a day. She thought quickly.

"Let's say Thursday, come back Friday. No! The traffic on the motorway will be murder Friday afternoon. What about we go down on Sunday, and come back on Tuesday. That will give me plenty of time."

"Good idea, I'll book myself a Hotel."

"Don't be silly James. There are two bedrooms in the flat. You don't have to worry about my reputation you know."

"I do though. If Mary or anyone round here thought I was staying with you at the flat, they would welcome you back as if you had been on Honeymoon. It will be better if I book a hotel." If Abby felt a little disappointed she didn't show it. She hadn't issued an invitation for them to sleep together, merely creating an opportunity to do so, if the situation felt right. She was pleased that James though had the consideration to believe that her reputation was important.

She turned the conversation back to Richard Melling's invitation.

"We'll ring Richard later that week. It will be nice to see the Grange in daylight."

"It's quite a place. The gardens are very good. They should be. He has two full-time gardeners, and Maggie to get them looking so well."

"Oh, does Maggie garden?"

"No, but she makes sure the gardeners do." Abby smiled.

"Do you think he has a reason for inviting us?" James shrugged his shoulders.

"I wouldn't think so, apart from getting to know you. Very difficult at the Ball, as the Host he is pulled this way and that, trying to keep everything going well. No. I would imagine that it is just getting to know the new resident of the valley."

Abby gave that some thought, perhaps James was right, it was just simple courtesy that gave the reason.

"How's your Mother?" James cheered.

"Gone again. Back to Berkshire. At least I shall have some peace now."

"Oh poor James. Does she make your life a misery? She's very fond of you, you know. She's just worried about you."

"Yes, well if that's the case she can stop worrying. I am alright." Abby felt that Gwen would not believe James was alright until he had married. She wondered if James thought of her as a possible candidate, if he did, how would she react? At this moment the answer would be probably negative. Abby wanted to have a meaningful occupation. Something that would sustain her over and above being a wife. James had a meaning to his life here; Abby could not endure just being a consort to his vocation. A reality crept into her mind. James would never ask her to marry him. His pride would not let him, for the thought that she may believe he asked only to marry her money. If there was any asking to be done, Abby felt that she would have to do that or create the conditions for him to do so. She laughed inwardly as she realised that she was the one who was pushing their relationship forward. James must think of her as a brazen hussy, although he didn't seem to mind at all when she invited him to kiss her.

This musing was interrupted as James was asking a question.

"Sorry, I was miles away. What did you ask?" He grinned.

"You are going native so fast! I asked if you had thought any more about what you will do with it when the station is done." Abby hadn't thought beyond getting the place restored.

"No. Apart from seeing it as Granddad saw it."

"You mean you are doing it as a tribute to him." Abby was astounded. James had just put into words the idea that had never properly formed all this time. She turned to him.

"That's it. That is what I have been doing all this time, but didn't really know it. A tribute to Thomas Tregonney. How clever of you." Impulsively she took hold of his shoulders and kissed him. "Thank you, James." He smiled casually.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close