Abby - Cover

Abby

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

Chapter 32

The Saturday slipped by so quickly that Abby was convinced that she would not be fashionably late, but seriously late when James arrived to collect her. She needn't have worried with Mavis and Mary who scurried around like Devils to make sure that their protégé was ready. Thus it was that at ten to nine, Mary slipped downstairs and invited Sam to come up and see. He entered the room, looked at Abby and was immediately speechless. Mavis came to him and put her arm around him.

"Our Girl is lovely, isn't she Sam?" Sam could only nod his head, eventually finding his voice.

"Yes, she is. Abby you look wonderful." The girl in question stood there with a happy smile on her face. The hairdresser had cut and highlighted her hair so that it was now more blonde with brown. Abby had used all the tricks that Roz had taught her, much to the amazement of Mavis and Mary, who had never realised that make-up, could do so much. Her Dress of Celadon Green Brocaded Silk draped her slim figure to perfection, the bodice was fitted snugly, and the broad straps went around the tops of her arms leaving her shoulders bare, the skirt flared gently from the waist. The shoes just peeped from under the front, and Abby's Pearls and earrings had just the right touch of simplicity and elegance.

"Will I do, Sam?" She asked. He smiled.

"Do Girl? You'll make them all stop in their tracks. Yes, you'll do. Mr. James will be proud to have you on his arm. Oh by the way he arrived just as I came up here." Mary checked her watch.

"He's eager! Sam would you go down and ask him to wait in the Lounge, we'll hang on here for another five minutes." Sam gave a half smile, knowing exactly what these women were up to. He paused on his way down the stairs to wipe an eye which had suddenly become misty. His thoughts were of the daughter that never was. She would have looked as beautiful as Abby, going off to her first Ball, and he would feel the same emotions for her, Pride and trepidation for his girl going out for the first time to sail on the troubled sea of life.

Abby slipped into bed at quarter to six that Sunday morning, her mind alive with so many pictures of the Ball that she was certain that sleep wouldn't come for quite a while. James had been wearing a Trench coat when she went down, and it was only after they arrived and their coats had been taken that she saw his uniform properly. Dark blue Trousers, very tight, with a red stripe down the outside, a brilliantly red Jacket, shaped over his hips, Maroon shawl collar, black waistcoat, and a blindingly white shirt with a black bow tie. There were Pips on the Epaulettes, and the winged dagger emblem on both lapels. Also on the left Lapel were two miniature medals. It was exciting and so glamorous to be escorted by James in his uniform, but she was more excited by James comment on seeing her in her Dress. He said nothing at first, just looked with growing wonderment, until at last he was able to speak.

"Abby, you are beautiful!" She smiled with the pleasure of the compliment and a little more colour crept into her cheeks. He held his arm out and her heart quickened as she linked her hand through, and James with pride escorted her into the Ball.

So much happened that evening. She danced with James a number of times, so pleased that her lessons had not let her down, and with others who seemed to seek her out. She met so many people whose names she would never remember. Some were merely going through motions, others though seemed genuinely pleased to meet her, particularly Sir Richard Wellings and his wife, Maggie. Both were happy to see her and insisted that they were just Richard and Maggie.

"Sir Richard and Lady Margaret are such a mouthful." He, she remembered for his obvious respect and friendship for James. It was he who explained the two medals that James wore. "The one with the blue and white ribbon is the Distinguished Service Cross, and the other with the little bit of green in the ribbon is the South Atlantic Medal. He should have had the D.S.O. not the Cross, but that officially can only be awarded to Majors and above. Stuff and nonsense if you ask me. Doesn't matter what rank you are, courage is courage." Abby knowing little about these formalities was inclined to agree.

She was dancing with James who moved almost as well as Sam. During the dance she had to ask James how he managed to get the very tight trousers on, he had laughed.

"They have loosened up a little now, but the first time I had to get two of my brother officers to hold the waist whilst I jumped up and down getting them further up my legs with each jump. Oh, and incidentally, they are not trousers, they are known as overalls."

"Overalls!" Abby was incredulous.

Toni had introduced her to her Father, the self-important Councillor Wates. He had held her perhaps a little too tight as they danced, but had let her know that whatever she planned for the station and house would be alright with the planning committee. She met a Lord who suggested that he would appreciate a chat with her at another time. Abby inwardly smiled at that, being reminded of what Gwen had said about free advice. Later in the evening, or perhaps early in the morning would be more accurate, they served Breakfast! She was sitting nibbling some toast when she was joined by Sir Richard, who having relaxed a little and accepting Abby as 'right', referred to some of the other guests as 'Parvenu's'. She asked him why.

"Got plenty of money, but the only investment they make in the country is the house they buy from some poor chap who has to sell to pay Inheritance tax. Got to be polite, but I cannot really abide them. Got far more time for chaps like James. Tries to make the Country work, gets little thanks and little income from it either." That remark would be bookmarked for later examination. Her mind dwelt on so many things that had piqued her. The music, real music provided by a small ensemble of Piano, Violin, Saxophone, Trumpet and a Drummer who kept the time well, even if his efforts did sometimes drown out the melody the others were playing. When they took a break, a Disc Jockey took over to play a good selection of modern hits, although the music that went down best was the classics from the sixties, to which almost everybody danced. The colours of the Dresses, some gaudy, others restrained, inexpensive and elegant side by side. Ladies who worked, and Ladies who lunched; partnered by Gentlemen who could probably be categorised the same way, some who enjoyed the evening, and others who looked and sounded just bored. Dragged there by a Wife who was determined to have a moment in the Limelight no doubt?

They had arrived back at the Inn at five o' clock. James drove straight round to the back. Abby implored James to take the car home with him, but he declined.

"Walking will help me clear my head." He looked at Abby and thanked her for her company, but seemed unsure of how to take his leave. Abby helped him.

"You can kiss me you know, James." He smiled and leaned towards her. Putting his arms around her he brought her forward until their lips touched. The kiss was soft and gentle, not possessive but one with emotion hovering on the brink. She opened her mouth slightly to see if he would respond. He did, his tongue just lightly touching her lips, and flirting with her tongue. That pleased her, as he took only as much as she was offering, but the indication was that at some time there would be passion there. He drew back, and Abby kissed his cheek.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close