Abby
Chapter 30

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

Abby had slipped down to Gallow Farm quite frequently, and was now reasonably proficient in the basics of the Waltz, Quickstep, and the Foxtrot, although she remained concerned of her ability. Mavis recognised her fears and put her mind at rest.

"There will be so many couples on the floor that you will be shuffling rather than dancing. I doubt that they will play too many Foxtrots, or if they do people will not do it properly, but dance a slow quickstep." Abby thought that a shame, as the Foxtrot seemed to her a particularly graceful dance. She was cheered by Sam telling her that she would not make a fool of herself.

"You can do those steps better than most people will, so don't worry, and you have a good sense of time, that for most people is the hardest part of the Foxtrot." She had enjoyed her lessons and had asked Mavis if it would alright for her to continue coming after the Ball, to learn more. Mavis was delighted, and Sam was looking very pleased as well. Immediately he started making plans to further her skills.

"We will start adding more steps to the basics, which makes the dance much more interesting." To demonstrate he had taken Mavis in his arms and danced the Foxtrot in a way that got them around the floor without ever having to do the same steps twice. They glided and turned as one, elegantly and smoothly. Abby was enthralled, and longed to be able to dance like that herself.

Now the Ball was but three days away, and Mavis had vanished while Sam was taking Abby round the room in a Quickstep. She re-appeared with a large cardboard box.

"Abby, I know you have your dress and shoes all sorted, but have you thought about a coat? It may be a little chilly that evening, but especially in the early hours, when you leave." Abby hadn't given that any thought at all, she shook her head. Mavis looked relieved. "Well if you are not offended, I would like you to look at this Cape." She opened the box and produced from the layers of tissue paper inside a black velvet hooded Cape.

"My mother bought this for me years ago, and it has been stored properly. I checked it the other day, and aired it thoroughly. No Moth or creasing at all. Would you like to use it?" Abby's face was all the answer she needed. Smiling with satisfaction Mavis draped the Cape over Abby's shoulders settling the large hood carefully down her back. It was lined with a dark blue silk, and once she had settled the Cape, Abby twirled delightedly. She was slightly taller than Mavis so the bottom hem came just above her ankles, but as this was where her dress would fall, it was perfect. As Mavis said it had been aired thoroughly, with just a pleasant fragrance of Lavender lingering.

"Damn, girl." Remarked Sam. "You look just as attractive in that as Mavis did."

"Oh Sam!" Mavis's voice had a bite to it.

"Well almost as attractive." Sam qualified his words to sooth Mavis's ruffled feelings. Abby took the sting out of the atmosphere.

"It's beautiful, Mavis. Oh but I couldn't borrow this. I would be frightened if I spoilt it."

"Abby. If you don't use it, it will go back into storage, and probably never be used again. So you take it. It will give me and Sam a lot of pleasure to see you in it." Abby kissed them both.

"I will be very happy, so thank you both very much, for this and all your help in teaching me to dance."

Later, when Sam had gone to the Combe Inn, Abby sat down with Mavis for a while and Mavis made some tea. Abby explained that she was having her hair done in Paverton earlier on the Saturday of the Ball, and would be back at the Inn about three o' clock. Mavis said she would be there shortly after, and would help if there was anything Abby needed.

"Just moral support, Mavis. I shall be a bag of nerves, I know."

"Nonsense girl. You will be fine."

"Don't you believe it. I have never been to any function like this before." Mavis was shocked.

"You're not serious?"

"Yes I am. All I know is business meetings, and seminars. Standing around sipping Sherries and talking Money. I mean how do I address a Lord Lieutenant?" Mavis had to give that some thought, and then said.

"Well I am sure I don't know. If I were you I should just follow James' lead. He will know, that's for certain." This thought gave Abby some confidence.

"I am looking forward to seeing James in Evening Dress though." Mavis shook her head.

"Oh no. I suspect that James will be in his Dress Uniform." Abby was nonplussed.

"But I thought he had left the Army?"

"Yes, but he was a Captain, and even though he resigned his commission, he is still on reserve, and entitled to wear Uniform. He does so on Remembrance Day, Medals and Sword as well." Abby giggled.

"I trust he won't have his sword with him on Saturday. He would have trouble trying to dance."

Mavis smiled at the thought as well.

"Have you finished your Tea? Good. Give me a lift back with you, would you? I want to have a little chat with Mary." The box was placed on the back seat, and Mavis got in beside Abby. She looked around. "This is a lovely car." Abby agreed.

"Yes. One of my little indulgences, we will use it Saturday evening. James is going to pick it up, and give it a good clean. After all we don't want to be turning up at Coolton Grange in a dirty car." Mavis agreed with that.

"Oh yes. They will all be there trying to outdo their friends and acquaintances. There will be quite a few Rolls-Royces' and Bentleys, some of them even owned by the people who turn up in them." Abby laughed.

"Mavis, that's a bit cynical." Mavis smiled as well.

"Perhaps. Let us just say that some of the people going only come down here for weekends and holidays, and for events like the Hunt Ball. I don't have any time for them. Not like Mr. James, who lives here, and tries to make things work. And that isn't easy for him either."

Abby was intrigued.

"Why is that?"

"Oh I shouldn't say really, but I know of one or two occasions when Mr. James has forgiven Tenants their rent when they couldn't, or wouldn't pay. Them as does it forgets, that money is what Mr. James has to live on, and a quarter or two's rent is a big drop in his income. Not right if you ask me." This was another side of James of which Abby had not been aware. She had an idea of the acreage of the estate, and knew approximately how much per acre it could command in rent. She also knew that not all of the acreage was let, much had no agricultural use, but her business brain told her that James' income from the estate was relatively modest. Unless he had some very good investments, his circumstances were not going to be comfortable. The exchange he had with his mother bore that out. Mavis had gone on. "He's a good landlord, Mr. James. Years ago we would call him Squire. It was used with respect; and has to be earned you don't buy the title with the land: Sam and I, and others, think of him as the Squire. I know he doesn't like that term, but that's how we think of him."

They arrived at the Combe Inn, and Abby drove straight round the back. Mavis carried the box, and Abby opened the door for her. She looked round quickly to see if James was there. Pleased that he wasn't, Mavis brought the box through and Mary opened the door so they could go straight upstairs.

"Mary. " Mavis began almost as soon as she was in the door. "I shall need to get this hung up somewhere so that it doesn't crease. It won't do it any harm to get a bit more airing either. Can you suggest somewhere?" Mary didn't have to think.

"Put it in my wardrobe. It's deeper than the one in Abby's room, and it's got plenty of room."

With the Cape carefully hung, they came back down to the Bar. Sam had already bought a round of drinks. The usual Port and Lemon for Mavis and guessing a Vodka and Tonic for Abby. James still had not made an appearance, and Mary thought that strange, as he had got into the habit of popping in every evening lately. Mavis and she had agreed that Abby was probably the reason for this. Eventually he did arrive, making his way through the bar, stopping for a chat with every group until he joined Abby. A Pint appeared and he gratefully took a sip before addressing Abby.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close