Sarah's Love
Chapter 16

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Kindred

At last the day to pick up Nan is upon them, and again Sarah wakes up in Christopher's arms on the couch. Sarah is lying on her tummy, so Christopher starts rubbing her back, enjoying maybe their last morning together. Sarah is sad, too.

"While you are at school I will pick up Nana and bring her home. I'm also picking up the computer today, and the desk will be delivered. Maybe we should make Nana a nice dinner to welcome her home."

"Okay." Sarah says, with a smile as her head is still resting on her arms, but with very little enthusiasm.

"What's wrong?"

She sits up with her left leg hanging off the couch and her right leg tucked up under her, she turns to Christopher and says, "I really have enjoyed our time together."

"Well, don't worry, it's not over."

"It's not?" she says, smiling and leaning her head on his chest.

"Of course not. I'm still going to help you with your homework and we are still neighbors, and we will always be buddies no matter what." Luckily she did not catch the underlining meaning that he might move away in less than a year.

"Yeah, that's true. We will see each other all the time, and I will make sure Nana lets me stay with you the week she is going to be in the hospital."

"You be nice. She needs to relax before the surgery. She is going to need our help."

"Okay." Sarah says, ready for any challenge as long as she has Christopher in her life.

The first thing Christopher does is call a locksmith to meet them when he brings Nan home so he doesn't have to kick in her door. "Around eleven should be perfect. Thanks." He hangs up the phone and goes to get Nan.

"There you are. You definitely have a lot more color."

As the orderly puts her in the wheelchair, she says, "I feel much better."

The ride down in the elevator is a quiet one. "I'll go get my truck and bring it up to the front." Even the ride home is a silent one, and it is at that point that Christopher knows that Nan has some things she's working through in her mind.

As they pull up into her driveway they have to stop short because of the locksmith's truck already there. "I had a locksmith come so I wouldn't have to hurt your home."

"I appreciate that."

After Christopher gets Nan settled and checks to see if she needs anything, he then says, "Because Sarah wants to be a writer, I have bought her a computer and desk. The desk will be here between now and three. I have some phone calls I have to make, then I will go pick up her computer."

"Christopher, can I talk with you for a moment?"

"Of course."

"I think you are buying too much stuff for Sarah."

Christopher tries to get this straight in his head before he answers. "I know you have concerns, Nan. If you want me to stop helping you guys out, that's okay, I guess, but let me do this one last thing. I'll get her the computer and desk and I'll pay for her college, and beyond that I will check with you first.

"I just want you to know that helping you and Sarah and spending time with Sarah has helped me so much. I was to the breaking point emotionally and psychologically when I got here, and now I'm happier than I have ever been. I don't know what that says about me. I know you are just watching out for Sarah, but I would never hurt her."

"I don't believe you would hurt her intentionally, but aren't you moving away in less than a year. What then? Have you told Sarah that you bought that house to fix it up and sell it and move back to Hollywood? What, are you going to give all of that up and move out here permanently?"

"First of all, no, I haven't told her that I might be leaving in less than a year. As for giving up my life in Hollywood, believe me when I say that is no great sacrifice. As for where I live, it's not really important as far as being a writer."

"How about a girl? Do you have someone in your life?"

Christopher smiles. "Honestly, I never gave it much thought, but being around Sarah has made me look at my life differently. There is one girl out there that I have come to realize I care about very much about."

"What of her? What would you do if something happened there?"

"Nan, I really have no idea. So much of what is unfolding before me is new and wondrous. I know no matter what happens, I want Sarah in my life forever as long as you say it is okay. But in all honesty, what is happening to me is so new and powerful that I don't fully understand what is what, and where it is all leading myself. I hope you will at least allow me to continue to help her with her math homework. She is right on the cusp of grasping it."

"Just put some thought on it and I will do the same. After the computer and desk, no more stuff for a while."

"Does that include your medical bills and the coming operation?"

Nan smiles and lets the little jab go. "That is of course up to you."

"No, I still want to do that very much. Did you know that Sarah and I have talked about her parents a little more?"

"No, I didn't. For whatever reason, she is opening up to you even more than she ever has with me. She told me your guys' bond was because you are both sad. What are you sad about, Christopher?"

He gets a haunted look on his face, and with barely a whisper starts by saying, "Let me put it this way. When I look at the beauty that is Sarah, I no longer see the mangled bodies of war."

"I see."

"Do you? Because I don't."

"I think you should tell Sarah you are going to be leaving eventually."

"I told you, I don't know if I'm going to be doing that now."

"Then I think you should tell her that it is a possibility."

"Give me a little more time and I will. I don't want to shut her down. As she is helping me heal, it would be one of the greatest honors of my life if I could help that beautiful sweet-hearted little girl do the same."

"Don't take too long."

"Okay. I'll be back over when I see the delivery people with the desk. They are going to put it together, and Sarah has already told me where she wants it. She has been using mine and she learns quickly."

Nan only nods her head as she watches Christopher leave. She does not fully understand her concerns either. She wants only what is best for Sarah, and when it comes to Christopher she is not at all sure what is best.

"Cathy."

"Hi, Christopher."

"Hey, darling, there is a little book store out here in Hartford having some trouble, so I was thinking maybe doing a book signing so it would help them out."

Cathy is stunned. He is really going through some changes since he has been out in Connecticut. "I think that is a very sweet thing. I have to say, considering your views on doing that kind of stuff before that I'm really proud of you. I don't know what has gotten into you, but I think I like it."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close