Emma's Knight - Cover

Emma's Knight

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 2: When New Worlds Arise

The Gray Band charges like specters from the shadows. They are a ruthless band of outlaws who are robbing the merchants of the rich port city of Dunvern, in the Realm of the Animals, as the merchants make their way through the forest to reach the outlining towns and cities to do their selling and trading.

There are seven brigands left, for Allan has spent the last month cutting their numbers in half. The remaining seven ride black stallions and wear matching chain mail. As people, Allan has no respect for this group of guys, but as fighters he has to give them his grudging respect. For years has this band of outlaws prospered off the misery and misfortune of others. They have even confounded the local army garrison, which tells Allan they are locals and know the terrain very well. Which in and of itself is as much of an asset as is their fighting abilities.

Allan knows he is in for a bloody fight, but they must be made to stop hurting innocent people. They must be made to stop spreading the Sad Way. They collide at full speed, and Thunderheart stumbles and Allan goes down over his head and hits the ground hard. Allan shakily gets to his feet and turns to face his brazen enemy. Three were unhorsed from the collision, one is dead from Allan's sword, and the rest are coming his way with hatred in their eyes.

There are no words to be bantered back and forth to gather courage, for they all know there is only one possible outcome for this encounter. The three mounted brigands charge full force. With two swinging swords and one double ball mace they come at him.

Allan growls his battle cry and ... and wakes up covered in sweat. Confused at first, it slowly comes back to him. The beautiful lady, the father's offer to let him sleep in the barn for seeing his daughter safely home, and the night's fine meal. Something he doesn't get too often. The thought of food makes his stomach grumble. As he makes his way to his feet, he looks around the barn and sees the very same lady staring at him. He does not see laughter or disgust in her eyes. He only sees compassion there, and something he doesn't see to often from his fellow kind, understanding.

All she says is, "Bad dream, huh?"

"Milady," he says, getting to his feet much faster now, and trying to gain his composure, "I did not hear you come in. I must trust you indeed, and so must Thunderheart, for he would have warned of any danger had there been any. How are you this fine morning, milady?"

"I'm fine thanks to your kind escort home, sir knight. Breakfast is nearly ready, and there is much to be done this day. Father bids you welcome in our home and invites you to eat with us again. It is rare he offers twice. I think such kindness and courtesy such as you have displayed has him intrigued. By the way, it's Emma, remember?"

"Yes, milady ... Yes, Emma, I remember." Allan says smiling.

She returns his smile and orders, "Come, it's time to eat."

"I will be right there. I must feed Thunderheart first. He will be hard to live with indeed if I go off to eat and leave him hungry."

She laughs with a pure heart and honest sincerity, "Hurry along, for the food will soon be cold."

She walks out the door, but this time Allan does not stare, for he does not have to, for she is forever imprinted in his mind. Even the new pretty yellow knee length floral dress she is wearing is forever imprinted in his mind.

"So," Allan says, turning to Thunderheart, "You must like her, for you let her in through our defenses."

As he often does he doesn't say a word, but he has a glitter in his black eyes, and Allan can swear a smile on his face.

"What!" Allan says a little irritated. "You think it is I who likes this skinny farm girl?"

Thunderheart nods his head up and down and whinnies as loud as he can. This time Allan knows he hears laughter.

"Huh!" Allan says, as he turns around to go eat breakfast. But he can't help but getting in one more shot as he leaves the barn. "Thunderhead." The gray-speckled warhorse's head whips around and his ears go flat, but no matter, for Allan has run for the door and shuts it behind him.

The meal is excellent again and he comments as such.

When he walked into the house he was buffeted by the smell of freshly baked bread, and on the table on a plate waiting for him are eggs and potatoes.

"Oh, Edith and Emma, this looks great, and oh my god, it smells even better."

Emma laughs and says, "Please, sir knight, set before it gets cold."

Allan claps his hands together, and then rubs them in expectation of another great meal.

The mother, whose name is Edith and also a very pretty woman in her own right, with long brunette hair, brown eyes and a fit body, says, "Emma helped me. She is a very good cook you know, and will make a fine wife some day."

"Mother!" Emma screams embarrassed. Then she hurriedly looks Allan's way and turns crimson, and then proceeds to concentrate with all her might on her breakfast.

Allan does not think it girlish, for he feels a flush coming to his own face.

The father breaks the silence by asking, "Allan, where are you be bound for?"

"There be no destination in mind at this time, sir. I travel towards the falling sun most of the time, when The Way allows. For now I am just looking to rest and rejuvenate, because I've recently completed a task that took much mental effort, which is often more tiring than physical exertion."

"Aye, how true that is." he agrees. "You know our little village here isn't what everybody desires, but for us and the few others it is peaceful, though there be hard days of work to be put in. Even now I have a wagon waiting to be fixed."

"I'd be glad to help you with it, sir. Thunderheart and me find your village indeed peaceful. If I'd not be a burden I will happily stay a few days and be of what help I may."

"Excellent. Again, my name is John, and you may call me such." The sandy blonde-haired blue-eyed five foot eight mark stocky man says.

Both Emma and Edith look at John and gape. Then Allan notices Emma is looking at him.

Allan doesn't know if he is misreading her expression or if he needs some kind of confirmation from her, as he says, "That is if you don't mind, milady."

"No," she says without hesitation or embarrassment, "It will be a pleasure to have your company."

"Thank you, milady, for the kindness you have all shown me."

Allan gets up fast and walks out the door, forgetting to wash and put away his dishes as a good guest should offer to do, for he feels tears coming to his eyes. It has been a long time since he has been treated as just another folk, outside of his known family. Until just then, he didn't realize just how long it has been, until the full impact of the emotions hit him. This time a single tear does come, and it is seen as a gift, because even with all the coldness in the world he still has the warmth in his heart to feel.

"Mind you, I do not regret the life I have chosen, and I do not expect to be paid for my deeds, either in money or thanks, but it feels good to be just Allan again." He is talking to no one in particular.

The father soon joins him outside, and they go to work on the wagon. The axle is broken and one wheel damaged from hitting an unseen hole in the road. The woodwork necessary to fix such creations will take as much skill as it will physical exertion. It is meditative for Allan to work with his hands and create life's little oddities. Allan has not ventured home for nearly two years as he continues his destiny, but surprisingly and pleasantly he is experiencing a familiar calmness.

The father asks Allan, "Won't Thunderheart run off?" Allan has let him loose to wander freely about.

"He is free to do as he likes, but I do not think he is ready to leave me yet." John just laughs.

After a while, Emma approaches them with glasses of water and says to Allan, "I was walking to one of the gardens which is outside the wall, and Thunderheart started following me out. I did not know if he should do so, but he will not be turned back."

"He is fine, Emma. I think you have made a new friend. Go where you will. He will be your protector and companion." Thunderheart and Allan lock eyes and give each other that subtle nod of the heads that says volumes. The least of which, Allan knows nothing will happen to Emma while Thunderheart is about.

"I thought you were my protector and companion?" Then after she realizes what she has just said, she turns red and then turns around and hurries back to the house.

"I do not wish to be forward, sir, and I surely do not wish to take advantage of the hospitality you all have shown me, but I have to say that Emma is a very wonderful girl."

"Yes, she is." Then John looks at Allan a minute longer. "Allan, I see by your manner and scars that you have experienced much in this life. Most of which I am sure I do not want to know about, but that I am sure I am grateful for anyway. All I will say is that a girl growing up in a small village is a bit sheltered."

Allan looks at him for a moment before answering, "Yes, sir, I understand." and then tears well up in his eyes. Allan steels himself and takes in a deep breath letting it out slowly.

John understands all too well, "I was not making a statement of finality, I was just showing the concern of a father that his daughter may have a good life surrounded by people who love her dearly."

"I wish the same thing for her, sir."

"Ah, it is too early to be so serious. Let us fix this darn wheel." Allan just nods his head, grateful for the distraction.

After Allan stops feeling sorry for himself, he asks, "John, what made you leave Ireland?"

"Adventure I guess. I was wandering through Tally, and found my way here and found Edith. My god she was beautiful."

"Still is."

"Aye, that she is, my boy. Once I found her all thought of adventure went from me, and then we had Emma and have made a good life here. And you, Allan, what made you leave Scotland?"

"Most specifically, sir, I have not left Scotland. I am of the Rock Clan. Does that mean anything to you, sir?"

"Indeed it does, sir knight. I have also heard another name associated with it."

Allan holds up his hand to stop him, "Sir, if you are about to mention a name associated with The Way, you should not."

"Aye, sir knight, I understand." and understand he does.

They work right through lunch, but are done in time for dinner. The dinner comprises of potatoes, rabbit and warm soft travel bread. The smell alone makes Allan feel at home, but the kind people before him make him renew his vow to be the steel that Creation yields, so that good people can have good lives.

"I almost got a deer, but I was off my mark." John says.

"Perhaps, sir, to repay your kindness and eating your delicious food, Edith and Emma, tomorrow I will go out and hunt us a deer."

"That would be wonderful!" says Edith, smiling happily.

"I want to go." speaks up Emma.

"No, dear, you stay here and help me in the garden."

"Yes, mother." says Emma deflated.

"Actually, ma'am and John, I will be more than happy to show Emma how to track and hunt a deer, if it does not go against your beliefs somehow."

Emma looks at Allan and gets all excited, and says a little too loudly, "Yes!"

"I don't know," says Emma's mom.

"We'll see." is all Emma's dad says.

After another fine meal Allan gives his thanks, says his goodnights, and heads toward the barn to bed down for the night.

"Hold up there, son. I'm not going to let an honorable man such as yourself sleep in a stall again. My brother was killed not long ago and he had no family of his own, but he did leave a nice cabin that is now yours for as long as you wish. That is until Emma decides to take it as her own."

"I'm sorry to hear about your brother, sir."

"Ah. He got drunk and went outside the walls at night, and became some creature's food. But he was my baby brother and I miss him dearly." He says it without flinching, but you can see the sadness in his eyes. "Emma, will you be so kind as to show Allan to the cabin, and where the wood is, so that he might warm himself if a chill comes down out of the mountains."

"Of course, father. Right this way." Emma says to Allan as she leads the way.

It is indeed a nice little cabin. As Emma opens the door she places the oil lamp on a hook that is hanging in the center of the room, directly above a round table. To the left is a bed that will fit two happily if they don't mind cuddling. To the right are a chair and a couch facing the fireplace on the far right wall.

As the light from the lamp spreads across the stone cottage, Emma notices a large spider making its way across the dinner table. Immediately Allan starts looking for something to put it on to give it a lift outside, but Emma walks up with her bare hands and ushers the spider into her palm and escorts the spider outside. Allan is more than impressed. He is elated at the courage and show of respect for all life that Emma just did.

"It will do nicely, Emma, thank you so much, and please again give your folks my most heartfelt thanks." And plus it is even big enough to allow Thunderheart in.

That brings some odd stares from the villagers and just a smile from Emma. Emma keeps Allan company as he starts the fire. It isn't really cold, but he has always enjoyed being around campfires. Being that it is summertime it will be a small token fire so as not to risk catching the wheat fields on fire. In fact, if not for the location of the village to the mountains, which often create summer showers, he would not be doing it now.

From over his shoulder Emma asks, "Have you seen many wonderful places in your travels?"

Allan finishes with the fire and comes over and sits in the chair that is at a ninety-degree angle to the sofa Emma is sitting on. She is still in her pretty yellow floral dress, and has her hands clasped in her lap.

With a moment's hesitation and many memories of such places he begins, "There is one city that floats on a river, and except for the main bridge into the city you go by boat everywhere you have to go. It is also in the Realm of Animals. The days are warm in the summer, but there is always a cool refreshing breeze to see you through your activities. The sunset reflecting off the water is hypnotically beautiful. It reflects silver and blue and sparkles with a life of its own. The waves lapping up against the buildings are relaxing, and I can still hear them now. It is a fishing village, so the smell is less than perfect, but the people don't seem to mind or notice.

"Myself, I was there but for a short time and had work to do. The outlying towns grew jealous and threatened them with war. I helped to open trade between them, and introduced as many as I could to each other. Once the outlying towns realized the people of Floodgate, that is the city's name, weren't shunning them, and that they were welcome amongst them, things became friendly. Once both sides realized there was a profit to be made for all, things got down right chummy."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close