Fiddlers Green - Cover

Fiddlers Green

Copyright© 2019 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 5

Finishing up at the dry goods store, Clive, carrying his purchases, headed back to the livery stable. Arriving, he wondered what he was going to do with his new clothes. He couldn’t very well put them up in the hay loft. Part of the deal he had with Chet. Was, as part of his pay, he could bunk in the hay loft for free. Chet usually charged a dollar for saddle tramps down on their luck and needing a space out of the weather. But anything left up there was likely to disappear before sundown.

It was while he was trying to figure what his next step was, when a scruffy looking range rider came in. He was dusty, dirty and tired looking. His eyes had the look of a long hard trail. “Yo, kid. We’ve got a string of horses we need stabling. You got room for 10 broke mustangs?”

“Sure, do mister, through here and out back. Got 2 corrals back there.”

“Good Man, hang tight, I’ll be right back.”

5 minutes later the rider returned. With him were 2 other riders and their string of horses. As they were led back to the corrals, Clive looked them over with a critical eye. And was impressed. Very impressed. They all seemed of an even temper and good health. Without looking any closer, which he would do the first time he could do so discreetly, they were some of the best horses he had seen in a long time. They even looked better than most of Obie Jackson’s stock.

After getting the horse’s situated in the corrals, the first rider came into the stable. “OK kid, Who’s the ramrod round here? We’ll need food and board for these critters for a least a week. What kind of deal can we make here? I’ll let you know now that We’re cash poor at the moment. But we’re willing to put the string up for collateral. In fact, you can cut out one right now, your choice, to cover the bill.”

“Well Sir, I ain’t the boss. And to tell you the truth, I’m not sure who is. But I’ll give you a quote right now, for today’s room and board. Then, when the boss gets here, you can talk to him.”

It was during this conversation, that Joshua stepped out from the barn. Clive was the first to notice. “I ain’t quite sure, but this might be him now.”

Unseen by Clive, when the 3 riders spotted Joshua, they came to attention. The leader saluted and said, “SIR, Corporal Young, with a 2-man detachment reporting.” They remained at attention, with Young holding his salute until Joshua returned it.

When the rider barked out, Clive spun and stared open mouthed at him. Then just as quickly shifted his attention back to Joshua. This was something totally outside of Clive’s experience.

Smiling, Joshua said “At ease gentlemen. It seems that some of us are a bit ahead of the others. I hadn’t really expected to see any of the advance parties for at least another week.”

“Well Sir, one of the watchers came into camp this morning and told us about the livery owner taking off with all the stock. We had a string of remounts that we were holding for need. We figured you might have a need for a mount. And not just any shave tail. We knew you’d want quality.”

As this conversation was happening, Joshua walked back to the corrals. Looking over the stock, he was just as impressed as Clive had been. These were quality horse’s, In good health and positive disposition. Choosing a suitable mount was going to be difficult.

“Fine looking horseflesh Corporal. You and your men should be proud.” The corporal and his men grinned and stood just a touch straighter. Looking over to Clive, “Well Mr. Simon, As the new Livery Stable boss, what was your plan concerning these gentlemen and their horse’s?”

Clive was confused, He didn’t understand half of the interactions between the boss man and these riders. If it had been Cletus, He would have been doing everything in his power to cheat and steal from them. Instinctively Clive knew this would be a bad move on his part. Thinking for a moment, he decided to go back to his original plan, With minor alterations.

“Well, Boss?” He paused. A slight grin came to Joshua’s face and he nodded, much bolder, Clive continued, “Well Boss, it seems that this feller offered me a choice of mount for a week’s rent, room and board. I would call that a fair trade. That is if the owner doesn’t object?”

Joshua climbed up to the top rail and sat down. “The owner doesn’t have any objections. Besides Mr. Simon, YOU are the stable master. YOU decide if a trades fair or not. How about it Corporal Young? Mr. Simons choice for a week’s bed and board sound like an acceptable deal?”

Corporal young had realized that there some unspoken things going on in this conversation. He decided that he needed to play along and be reasonable. “I’ve had worse deals Sir. And being cash poor at the moment, this is about the best I’ll be able to do. But how bout you? You look to be needing a horse too? Make it two weeks and you get your choice also?”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close