Pasayten Pete - Cover

Pasayten Pete

Copyright© 2010 by Graybyrd

Chapter 24: Relocation

"James, I was chatting with Eleanor Whittaker at our card club yesterday, and she mentioned something to me that you might want to pass on to Ken Granger. She and her husband own the insurance agency in Twisp. They've been tied down to it for over 25 years, ever since Randall took it over from his father."

Vi Brightman was bustling around the kitchen, getting their morning breakfast on the table. Jim was enjoying his first morning coffee. He eyed a growing stack of potato fritters and toast on the warming shelf above the stove top.

"Anyway, she said they've decided to retire but they need to find a qualified buyer for their business, one they can trust to continue a successful operation and make payments. It seems the problem is to find someone qualified and experienced, who is willing to live here and run the business locally. They don't want their agency to be acquired by an outside firm, or an absentee owner. They've always prided themselves on being part of the community, on knowing the people they serve, and having community interests at heart. She said they would carry the contract if the buyer could come up with a reasonable down payment, and they'd include their lovely house in that contract also, to the right buyer."

"Really! Their home, too? Are Randall and Eleanor going to pull up stakes and leave, as well as retire?"

"Well, sort of. She said Randall has always wanted to travel, and he's got his eye on a new Chevy Suburban and an Airstream travel trailer. He said he wants to take the next couple of years and hit all the national parks, and spend a few winters where it's warm. She explained that he plans to put a pair of snow tires on the back of the Suburban and drive south. When some gas station attendant asks, 'Hey, mister, what are those funny tires?' he'll know they've driven far enough south to spend the winter."

Jim chuckled over his cup. It was an old joke but it was still funny every time he heard it. Snow tires were no joke during the long Methow winters.

"So why are they selling their house, too? They're not planning on coming back, then?"

"On, no, it's not that. They do plan to come back to the valley when they tire of traveling, but then they'll want a much smaller place. Their youngsters are gone away to school or married and they don't need that big house any longer. She's wanted to move into that lovely little cabin out by the lakes that her father left her, so now they will. It has a secure shop building to store their things while they're traveling, and the family will share the cabin during vacations or weekend visits while she and Randall are away."

"Sounds like a good plan to me," Jim nodded. "Randall has talked about wanting to see this big country for a long time. He's felt tied down since coming back from the service and taking over the family business. Did Eleanor say if they had listed the agency or the house with anybody yet?"

"No! That's the thing. They're hoping they can find a buyer for both, without going through a broker or realtor. They'd save a lot of money in fees and commissions. She said they would split the savings with the buyer, so both sides would come out ahead."

Violet set the warm dishes down, poured more coffee, and tucked herself into her chair across from Jim. He looked thoughtful as he mounded scrambled eggs beside his fried potato patties, and laid two strips of bacon beside them. One advantage of working an active ranch life: he was able to indulge himself in a ranch breakfast that would send an overweight office worker into cardiac arrest.

Violet winced when Jim poured a swirl of ketchup onto his scrambled eggs and took up a forkful. Every morning when she served up delicately scrambled, fluffy, gourmet quality eggs, Jim added ketchup. Over the years she'd accepted it as his personal quirk, and every time he did, she winced. She also suspected that he knew she detested ketchup on eggs, and this was his gentle way of teasing her.

"You know, that is an excellent point. Fees and commissions on a property sale that size would be significant. Why don't I call Randall, and see if he'd consider an idea that might get him a fast sale and solve a big problem at the same time?"

Yes... Jim shoveled more potato and egg mixture onto his fork, swallowed, and washed it down with a gulp of coffee. Yes, I think that will be just the thing...

He slid his chair back, stood, and walked around the end of the table to lean over and plant a big coffee kiss on Vi's forehead. She giggled and ducked; he gave her a warm smile, then went into the parlor where his easy chair and side-stand and their old rotary-dial telephone sat. His index finger twirled a number from memory.

"Hello, Ken? Say, about that brother-in-law of yours in Kansas City -- didn't you say he's an executive in a big insurance company?"


Sometimes when things are meant to happen, the pieces fall into place very quickly. And when all parties to the action have good and honest motives, and the means, things can happen very quickly indeed.

Frank Jacobs answered an early evening call from Kenneth Granger. He took careful notes, and spent the rest of the evening consulting with his wife Madeline. Early the next morning he called his secretary at work and asked her to reschedule his appointments to the next day, as an urgent matter had come up and he would not be in. His next call was to his banker, followed by a call to his stockbroker. By mid-afternoon he had enough confirmations to place a call to Randall Whittaker at his home in Twisp, Washington.

"Mr. Whittaker, my name is Frank Jacobs. My sister-in-law, Helen Granger, is a teacher in Winthrop and she tells me that you and I have an opportunity to do each other a great deal of good..."

Frank arranged a week of vacation leave immediately upon returning to his office the next morning. He and Madeline caught an early Saturday flight to Seattle, rented a car, and Sunday they were enjoying lunch with Ken and Helen. It was a tearful, joyful reunion with Marilee who was delighted to see her parents. She was more than a little puzzled by their sudden appearance. No hint of anything had been mentioned to her, to avoid terrible disappointment if anything went wrong.

Early Monday morning the two couples, the Jacobs and the Whittakers, met over a country breakfast at the Whittaker home. Frank had offered to treat them to a cafe breakfast, but Randall cautioned that too many curious eyes would soon guess the business between them. After a cordial get-acquainted meal, the ladies decided to tour the two towns, Winthrop being only nine miles up-river. They would spend the afternoon visiting at the Granger home.

Randall and Frank got down to business, going over financial statements, tax reports, client lists, and a hundred other details. Hopefully, they might quickly reach an accord. Frank was impressed. Whittaker Insurance was a small gem, well run, honest, and solidly profitable year after year. It was a small agency but it served a stable, hard-working valley population with two small towns and numerous outlying ranches and orchards. If he searched for the perfect opportunity to go into business for himself, free of the corporate pressures and demands he'd come to resent, he'd soon find that this one had been heaven sent. It suited him perfectly. It matched his means, his needs, and his talents. It was as nearly perfect as anything could be.

The Whittaker home was a huge bonus. Madeline loved it after three steps inside. It sat high on a river bench overlooking the sawmill town, in a neighborhood that had been developed by an elderly orchard owner who decided to subdivide the property rather than replace the aged and unproductive apple trees. It was an open, warm, and safe area. She sensed a neighborly spirit surrounding the cluster of homes, each on a large lot without fences. There was a mix of older and younger families. Children played, rode bicycles along the blacktop lanes, and older high school youths walked together, talking and laughing. It gave a comfortable 'our town' feeling to the neighborhood. They instantly sensed that Marilee would be welcome and safe in this neighborhood. The Whittaker's asking price for the home was easily within the Jacobs's price range.

Randall was more than impressed with Frank. He did business with the huge Kansas City insurance firm. He knew its policy line, and as an independent agent he carried some of their product, recommending it to his clients when it served their needs. He recognized Frank's knowledge and his obvious skill, and was pleased by the financial statements proving Frank's ability to purchase both the business and the house.

Negotiations took little more than a statement of intent, an agreement on price, a quick penciling in of terms, and a few notes to be included in the sales agreement and contracts. They visited Randall's lawyer, just down the street, and then went two blocks over to the title company. They were assured that both offices would have paperwork ready for their signatures Wednesday morning.

They adjourned to a popular Main Street cafe and tavern where local businessmen, ranchers and loggers gathered for lunch or an after-work social beverage. Business done at a brisk pace is a thirsty business. Within minutes they were seated in the cool, dim atmosphere of the tavern, leaning back against a padded bench seat at a back booth, gratefully eyeing the foaming suds on two frosty glasses of sparkling, amber draft beer. Randall tipped a shot of tomato juice into his, explaining it was a favorite northwest variation.

"I guarantee that by morning every one of the local Chamber of Commerce members will know I've sold out to you, and by Friday half of our clients will be calling for assurances that nothing will change," Randall smiled. He tipped up his glass and drained it. The cold brew was delicious, celebrating his fortunate transition from a lifetime of work to a retirement dream.

Frank drained his glass as quickly. He stood, stretching his long frame.

"I imagine we ought to get upriver to Ken and Helen's, and see what the women have planned for us. I'll guess they're all more than a little curious about what we've decided."


Marilee stood, stunned, her eyes wide, her mouth open, trying to sift through the implications of her father's smiling announcement. A moment later she squealed, jumped into her father with a running hug, and excitedly placed kisses on both of his cheeks while at the same time trying to ask over and over, "Really? It's true? You and mom, moving here? To Twisp? We're going to have our own home and business here in the valley, in Twisp?"'

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close