To Enter Another Reality - Cover

To Enter Another Reality

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 14: And From It Comes Death

Nakoosa is expecting Master Intar to return any moment with word of victory and the defeat of the rebellion. Several hours later, a shattered group of twenty Clan Soldiers come riding up hard and fast. They go directly to Nakoosa's command quarters.

"Master, the battle has been lost."

"Where is the ever efficacious Master Intar?"

"Dead, Master."

"And all the other soldiers?"

"Gone, Master, all gone." er Nakoosa is furious. A red glow starts to pulsate around him. The weary soldiers take a few steps backwards, thinking that they are going to die for failing their Masters. Nakoosa spins around and yells out for his messenger. The messenger comes running up until he sees the red glow around his Master, and then he, too, slows his progress and stops a safe distance away, if there is such a safe distance. "Yes, Master, how shall I serve you today?"

"Take a message to Master Zomaas. Tell him that our main forces have been destroyed and that Master Intar is dead. Tell him that I will be our savior here, and with the remaining forces still here in the city I will hold the Cross Over Bridge at all costs. Now go."

Nakoosa rounds up and organizes the remainder of his forces. He finds that he still has some two hundred and twenty Clan Soldiers and a small band of Marauders numbering around forty. He sends one hundred and twenty of his Clan Soldiers to join the other one hundred Clan Soldiers on the southern side of Lancer, while the remaining one hundred Clan Soldiers and forty Marauders stay on the northern side of the Cross Over Bridge, with the orders to kill anyone found trying to leave the city.

Master Zomaas is napping in his room at the evil fortress when the messenger from Nakoosa arrives. His personal servant wearily walks in and tells him, "Master, there is a messenger here from Nakoosa with information about the major battle."

"Tell him to come to me in my study in ten minutes."

"Yes, Master."

The messenger walks into the study to find Master Zomaas sitting at his desk going through some old scripts.

"Articulate thy self, messenger. What does Nakoosa have to say?"

"Master, Nakoosa has sent word that our forces have been defeated and that Master Intar has been killed. He has said that he will remain in Lancer with the remaining forces and guard the Cross Over Bridge at all costs."

"Is that the totality of it, messenger?"

"Yes, Master Zomaas."

"Then extricate yourself." His voice echoes through the halls. "Servant." "Yes, Grand Master Zomaas."

"Send for Masters Zoran, Dobrin, Netho and Akmora. Tell them to congregate with me in the praise hall at once. Is that understood?"

"Yes, Master." The servant bows and backs out the giant doors of the study.

Zomaas goes back to his room and changes into his ceremonial dress red robe, then goes to the praise hall. There he meets the other Masters already in their ceremonial dress black robes. He explains to them what has happened, and then they bow and then kneel before the sacred calling cave.

They praise their evil god Zarton, and then Zomaas speaks with a tongue that is not his own, in an ancient dialect long since dead. Like before, at first nothing happens, and then outside, the sky opens up and a green mist starts to descend upon the evil fortress. All at once the doors blow open and the stench of death fills the air, and the black candles flame up with an eerie greenish glow, until before them in the calling cave the green mist starts to take the form of the apparition known to them as their god Zarton.

In a voice that booms through out the evil fortress, Zarton speaks to them, "My children, I feel a virulent disturbance in my kingdom. There is a force that I have not long since felt. What tidings have you brought me this time, Zomaas?" "Master, our forces North of the Maloose River have been defeated, and with them Master Teador and Master Intar have been killed." "How are my children dying?"

"Master Teador was killed when the young Mystic Wizard Tork and his companions fought their way across the Cross Over Bridge. It has been learned that one of his companions is also a wizard. He is believed to be from the kingdom of Parrethia, Master."

"They dare to interfere in my kingdom. When they are defeated here I will destroy and rule their kingdom as well. It is unfortunate that Master Teador has been killed, but I had foreseen that they would make the journey across the bridge. Has preparations been made for their arrival here in the Rye Mountains?" "Yes, Master, we are ready."

"Good. Now how did Master Intar die?"

"We know not how, Master. He was at the major battle and never returned." "There are no other wizards in this kingdom. He should not have been able to be killed unless he got careless. And Nakoosa, what has become of him?" "He is still at the bridge, Master. He sent word that he will remain there and stop the rebellion from getting across the river all by his glorious self." "No he shall not. He has failed me. Send for him to return here. Bring him before me and my glory will be evident. Send regular troops to stop the rebellion from getting across. Zomaas, make the people pay for this insufferable insult on my name and rule. Let them know the true meaning of my being. Is that clear?" "Yes, Master, with the highest praise we will carry out your command." The evil apparition dissipates until only the stench remains. Immediately afterward, Zomaas starts barking out orders. Back in his study Zomaas calls for his personal servant.

"Yes, Master."

"Bring the Commanding General of the Guard to me at once."

"Yes, Master."

"Master, you have summoned me?"

"Yes, General, you will take fifty of the personal guard from here, and you will pick up fifty more soldiers in the city of Minsk, and you will take personal charge of the defenses at Lancer and the Cross Over Bridge. You will tell Nakoosa, who is already there, that he is commanded to return to the fortress at once. And, General, the rebellion will not make it across the bridge, is that understood?"

"Yes, Grand Master Zomaas, that is understood."

Zomaas turns to Akmora, who is waiting for the Grand Master to give him orders. "Akmora."

"Grand Master Zomaas."

"Akmora, you will take two of your Fire Dragons and you will destroy every other city and village north of the Maloose River. Is that understood, my friend?" "Yes, Grand Master, they will be glad to get back into the action once again, and so will I. I will depart within the hour. The people will supplicate for mercy, but they will receive none, for the insult to Zarton's rule and for the deaths of Teador, Intar, Momak and Iktar."

"Excellent, my most trusted confidant, make Zarton proud once again."

Akmora bows and heads out towards his Fire Dragons, to prepare for the attacks. The Commanding General of the Guard, with his fifty men, head out towards Minsk to pick up another fifty soldiers there, and then move on to Lancer and the Cross Over Bridge.

"Servant, without delay, send for Master Dobrin."

"Yes, Grand Master."

It is not long before Dobrin and his flamboyant manner come strolling through the huge study doors.

"You so graciously sought my being, Zomaas?"

"Must you always wear such vividly bright clothing?"

"Grand Master, it makes me gladsome."

"Yes, well, whatever. Dobrin, I want you to ride out to Finlock, Ornak and Spornak at the edge of the Rye Mountains, and tell them to prepare for the arrival of the young Mystic Wizard and his companions. Tell them it will not be long now. Have them set the trap immediately."

"We have a trap set for them? Why was I not involved?"

"We have many traps set for them, Master Dobrin, and you were invited to conjure up your own. This one is a spectrum of power that covers the beginning of the Rye Mountains. We will know where and when they enter the Mountains."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close