To Enter Another Reality - Cover

To Enter Another Reality

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 10: The Crossover

If Creation is gracious enough to lay destiny at our feet, the least we can do is show respect and gratitude by having the courage to walk the path.

As the Companions are riding off, Tork's mind is filled with thoughts of Sarah. Her beauty comes to him in waves of glory and wonder, and he now understands that her light shines as bright as Heaven's Heart. Once again the world has given him the fuel to continue the fight.

He is worried that her father Cantorso will not heed Kyle's warning that they should also pull out this very night. Both Kyle and Tork had an eerie sensation of malice when the Masters came up to the ranch and talked to Cantorso. But with astonishing clarity Tork knows from the training he got from his great-great grandfather, that in order to win this battle his thoughts and focus must stay on the here and now.

So Kyle, Maddox, Lynx and Tork head off into the Blackheart Forest. Heading towards the Maloose River to try and find a way across. They know from the reports that have been trickling in all that day, and with the presence of Masters and ever increasing patrols of Clan Soldiers in the region, that there is going to be some difficult times ahead and that something big is most definitely up.

They have been riding for several hours, and have had to dodge patrol after patrol of Clan Soldiers, and even a group of Marauders that are absolutely not part of the new movement. The patrols get so frequent that they have to dismount their horses and walk them through the thickest part of the foliage and underbrush of the Blackheart Forest just to stay out of sight.

The season is still in the early stages of Autumn, so even though many leaves of the various plants and trees are turning yellow or red, they still have the leaves on for better protection. Once autumn hits with its full power it will be a different story. They want to be finished with all this before Winter hits in its prime, because even though they are only at fifteen hundred foot of elevation now, as soon as they cross the Maloose River the ground, known as the Foothills, will gradually slope up towards the mountains, and then once there, nobody wants to be at an elevation of eight thousand feet in the dead of winter.

What they are going to do they are going to have to do soon. As they get close to the Maloose River they can see red specks all along the banks of both sides, but by far the majority are on the northern side.

The Companions start to realize just how strong the Masters have built up their defenses. Which can only mean that they have figured out they are coming. Plus, since they have taken measures to make it so anybody trying to get across the river, they will have to attempt their crossing at the main bridge. Since they are most likely heading towards the Rye Mountains and the evil fortress, they will definitely have to cross the Maloose River. That is going to make their journey much more difficult, but not impossible.

Tork asks as they are walking slowly along, "What are those red specks all along the river?"

Kyle replies, "They are the enemy encampments of the Clan Soldiers and Marauders."

"Oh!" answers Tork, like he wishes he had not.

Kyle turns to Maddox, "Well, my friend, you are the only one who has been across the Maloose River before. What will be the best way to get across?" "From size of Clan Soldiers in area, my guess is that they have Lancer and Cross Over Bridge well guarded. There are many ferries that run back and forth across Maloose River. I say we turn southeast and head up river until we find one and take it across."

"Then that, my big friend, is what we shall do. Lead the way." So they turn southeast and head towards what they hope will be a way across. They walk with their horses until the campfires of the Clan Soldiers are out of sight. Then they mount and ride off at a steady but wise pace, because they want to make good time under the stealth of darkness while still being safe. As they get further and further away from the heavy concentration of Clan Soldiers they move closer to the Maloose River. Just before dawn they come upon a place where Maddox remembered where there should be a ferry to get across.

In dismay Maddox remarks, "I know it here before. It could be on other side, but there used to be a rope that you pull to alert them that there is business to be had, but even that is gone."

Tork says, "This does not feel right. I feel like we are being watched. Let us move on from this place."

"Yes, since we cannot get across here and it is going to be light soon, we will need to find a place to hide out for most of the day. It will be safer to travel at night." Lynx adds, "I do not want to question the wisdom and power of the Mystic forces, either."

They all agree and head out away from the river to find a safe place to hole up for the day that is now almost completely upon them.

They ride until they find a heavily concentrated thick part of the forest which also has some rock formations, so that they can take up defenses and get some much needed rest before they head out again.

They rest for nearly three hours, but they know they cannot risk staying in one place longer than that, and the feeling of trepidation is growing. All of them are restless and the danger feels heavy in the air.

So the discussion commences with Lynx going first, "Look, we are in as much danger here as we are anywhere else in Owen, so we might as well get back on the trail and get across that damn river."

Even though his voice cracks, he says it with knowledge. "It is mid afternoon. I grant you it is dangerous all the time, but I think it is suicidal to go out in midday. I mean, come on, how are we going to pass ourselves off as regular travelers with a Stiefel and a Minotaur. No offense." Tork has grown up a lot since the Lost Mystic Caverns. "None taken, my young friend. Yeah, it be dangerous to ride in daylight, but I think it be equally dangerous to stay in one place for too long a time, also. Plus me go stir-crazy just waiting for them to find us. I say we take it to them. I mean they know we coming, so let us at least let them feel our presence in this land of mine. This land and the Rye Mountains they took from my people."

It is Kyle's turn to evaluate and make a decision. "My friend, I know they have destroyed your world as you knew it. And for that they shall pay, but we must not go and get reckless, because that will mean all those people that have helped us and maybe even died for us, will have suffered for nothing. We must be patient. Although I do agree that waiting here is getting us nowhere, and that it will be no more dangerous if we head out right now. The shadows of the forest and my magic will protect us. But I believe it must be an unanimous decision between us all, because we are all risking our lives equally for the people of Owen."

Maddox and Lynx have already expressed their opinions about wanting to head out now, so it is up to Tork.

Kyle tells Tork, "Go with your feelings. You have senses that they do not, and I suppose, because this is your homeland, that you have even more than I. Go with your feelings, my young wizard."

Tork looks over at Maddox, who has become his best friend since this journey has begun. Maddox nods his head in reassurance that whatever his decision is it will be the right one.

Then Tork looks at Lynx and then Kyle, and says, "Let us ride as if our world depends on it."

Maddox walks over to him and gives him a fellow warrior's handshake. They grab each other by the forearms and set their other hand on each other's shoulders, and then Tork sends them on their way with a prayer, "May the Heavenly Gods be with us."

Kyle, always wanting to encourage positive thoughts, adds, "Oh, I think they are, my young friend. I truly believe they are." He has a knowing look in his eyes.

So once again they head out into the daylight, heading east southeast further up the Maloose River to try and find another one of those ferries that Maddox says runs across the river.

They ride for about an hour and a half to another little village that Maddox said controls one of the ferries going across the river. When they get there they are cautious about watching for any traps of any kind. As they get closer they realize that someone is already there. It is a band of Marauders who are terrorizing the people.

They have now positioned themselves behind a big building that is a communal barn, wondering what to do.

Just then one of the Marauders pulls a child up onto a porch and is screaming, "If it ever becomes known that you have helped the traitors, we will do this to all of your children. People, consider this your warning." Then he starts to move like he is going to slit the child's throat.

Before Kyle and the others can make a decision what to do, Maddox hoists his mighty battleaxe and gives a blood-curdling war cry before charging the twenty Marauders.

Lynx grins, "I thought I was crazy!"

All Kyle can say is, "Oh, wow!"

So they all come charging like specters from a nightmare. Within a matter of a half of a minute, Lynx lets loose with a dozen arrows. Most are striking their intended targets with devastating effect. Kyle and Tork draw their swords and try to catch up to Maddox. It becomes all too obvious that is not going to happen, as Maddox quickly leaves them behind.

Maddox runs full force right into the middle of the Marauders, knocking eight of them down and killing three others with a full round swing of his battleaxe. By the time the others catch up to Maddox, the Marauders are already in full panic mode, and are trying to get out of the way of the crazed Minotaur.

With the Marauders in full retreat and the village people in total shock, the battle is over before it begins. With twelve of the twenty Marauders lying dead on the ground and the remaining ones wounded or at least scared out of their wits, the villagers are not going to have to worry about them coming back anytime soon. But no doubt they will run straight to the Masters and Clan Soldiers, who will most assuredly return as quickly as possible in great numbers.

This exquisitely beautiful raven-haired lady walks up to Maddox, "Thank you, kind sir, for saving my son. I am in debt to you forever." Maddox simply replies, "I no longer stand by and let them spill our Owen blood. It is my honor to help, milady."

Then the lady turns to Kyle and the others, "You all are welcome in our village. Come, we will have food and drink."

"Thank you most graciously, lady, for your kindness, but we are here looking for a way across the river. We are heading to the Rye Mountains to fight the Masters and return this land to the people. This young man here is Tork, and he is of Mystic blood." The assembled villagers gasp, and hope dawns in their eyes. "I am Kyle, and I am from the kingdom of Parrethia. Your savior here is Maddox and this marksman is Lynx. We must decline your hospitality and ask about the ferry that runs here."

"I am sorry, but the Clan Soldiers under the orders of the Masters had all the ferries taken to the other side, and we cannot get them back because they cut the lines. I am afraid there is no way across except at the Cross Over Bridge at Lancer. So the rumors are true?"

The four warriors look at each other, and at once they know what she means. They have to go back to the Cross Over Bridge and fight their way across. Tork asks. "Can we not swim the river?"

The lady replies as a mother protecting another one of her children, "No, the current is too strong! With your supplies and your horses you will never make it across. You will drown before you make it half way across. I am sorry we cannot return the kindness that you have shown us here today, but you are welcome to have food and drink amongst us, or if nothing else, to take with you to send you on your journey."

Kyle, with emptiness in his eyes, says, "Milady, you will find that our kindness will not have a happy ending. It will most assuredly bring down the wrath of the Masters and Clan Soldiers upon your entire village. I am sorry, but I must ask your village to pack and leave for some hideaway place. The Masters will kill you all without hesitation or remorse when they get here, and it will not take them long to get here. So please leave soon."

"Yes, we will leave within the hour," she says, sadly looking around at the only home she's ever known. "Thank you for your help here today, and for the sacrifice that you all are making to try and win back our kingdom."

Tork adds, "We cannot do it alone. The people must get involved. I believe there is an uprising of people forming a new Royal Guard. Find them and fight for your kingdom."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close