Corruption - Book 2 of Evolution
Chapter 14: Preview of Disaster

Copyright© 2015 by Misguided Child

Caleb was sitting in a road-side park, about five miles from the ranch, and he was fuming. Five other men were in the Suburban with him. They were crowded with all their gear, but they had nowhere to go. Two more equally packed vehicles were parked behind the Suburban. Two similar teams were on other roads, watching other exits from the ranch. The only thing they were authorized to do, so far, was stop the SUV if they saw it.

The search warrant for the Mosque had been a state warrant, because it had taken too long to get the federal warrant. DOJ was angry because the state hadn't waited for them over something as sensitive as raiding a Mosque. It didn't matter that stolen weapons had been found hidden in a secret room. It didn't matter that they had found proof that a rape had been committed on the premises. It didn't matter that a wanted killer of federal agents had been identified and proven to have been on the premises. The feds were not happy about coming in on the state's coattails. In the fed's view, it was supposed to be the other way around. Being petulant, DOJ had used one of their pet judges to get an injunction against the state, barring any further 'attacks' against associated Muslim enclaves.

Caleb sincerely hoped petulance was DOJ's reason, and not something more sinister. This administration, and its Justice Department, had been doing some strange things in regards to Islamic issues. It was chilling to think that Branch, or whatever his name was, could have influence that far up the food chain. National and International Islamic dealings indicated a more pervasive Islamic leaning than Branch could be responsible for. Scotty was working on breaking the deadlock, but the DOJ was stonewalling him, too.

The Texas State Attorney General was working on voiding the injunction, but they needed an equal or higher federal judge, and that took time. Caleb didn't think they had time. According to his calculations, they had less than an hour before entering the window of time that Branch's and Kassem's Companions could become active.

There was a few things they could do. They had the make, model, and license number of the SUV that Branch had escaped in. They had pictures of Branch and Kassem, and an all points bulletin had been broadcast for them and the SUV. All known exits from the ranch were being watched. Maybe they would get lucky; luck was all Caleb could hope for at this point.

"Captain," Ben Shaddock, a Texas Ranger Lieutenant, said hesitantly. "We've been wondering about a few things, sir."

Caleb looked over his shoulder at Ben, and then glanced at the other four men in the vehicle. Jimmy Walcott was the driver, and a Texas Highway Patrol Corporal. Two other Highway Patrol Corporals, Buck Ferrier and Teddy Joskovitch, were sitting in the back of the nine passenger vehicle. Cory Baker, a Texas Ranger Sergeant, was sitting beside Ben. Caleb realized, these men were the command group of the team he normally used in his operations. Caleb didn't direct who rode in what vehicle. That was normally Ben's or Cory's job. Having the leadership of his core team together, in a private setting, couldn't be an accident.

"What few other things?" Caleb asked, as he quickly scanned the men, and understood what was coming.

"Captain, the only time we've been separated today, after we picked you up from the chopper, was when you went after the girl that was kidnapped," Ben said slowly, as if choosing his words carefully. "We can't figure out how you stopped the van with the kidnap victim, or even knew it was coming, much less when it was coming. How did you know where that store-room was, and how did you know how to open the door ... both of them. And then the business with the Mullah has us scratching our heads. There is no way you could have known that they were Saudi Intelligence, or where the men we are after had gone, but you did. That business about the brain virus has us worried too. Was that just something to scare them, or is it real?"

Cory cleared his throat apologetically before saying, "Captain, we aren't criticizing you. Hell! We're happy that you're running the show because we know you'll have our backs. We just want to know what's going on, sir."

"What do you think, Al?" Caleb asked as he scanned each of the men.

"They are all loyal to you," Al answered. "They will follow you, whether you give them an answer or not. But it is the nature of humans to question what they don't understand. Their loyalty may erode over time if the conundrum they face isn't resolved."

"Yeah, I think you're right. I don't think the time is right for the kind of revelations they are asking for, though," Caleb said thoughtfully. "Besides, this should be a family decision. Both my family, and all of their families. It is too big a step for individual decisions."

"Ben, guys, I won't lie to you. I can't tell you what's going on right now. There are several reasons for that," Caleb explained cautiously. "First of all, it is classified so high that I'm not even allowed to know about it, but I do. Second, it involves more than me in deciding if you can be told about it. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's the truth."

"That's okay, Captain," Ben said. "At least we know that we aren't going nuts."

"What do you think, JJ?" Caleb asked, connecting to JJ and quickly replaying the conversation.

"Invite them and their families, including kids, to the New Year's Eve party at Refugio East," JJ suggested. "It will be good practice for the church thing, or whatever you want to call what we're planning, and that is the excuse you gave Gabi for reserving the restaurant."

"Good idea," Caleb said. "I sure am glad that the brains of this outfit is so cute. I love you."

"I love you, too," JJ answered. "Be careful. Stay safe. You know how dangerous Branch can be."

"I will," Caleb said, before turning his attention back to the men.

"No, it isn't okay," Caleb corrected his Lieutenant, dropping back into the conversation without his men noticing that he had been gone. "I trust you guys with my life. I can't say anything now, but I have an idea. We're having a New Year's Eve party at Refugio East, that new restaurant that opened in Beaumont. All of you are invited, but you'll need to bring your families with you, including your kids. Jimmy, I know that you aren't married, but you do have a serious girl friend. You can bring her, but she may not be included. We'll have to see when you get there."

Caleb sighed before saying, "Fellows, a word of caution. I'll know if I can tell you during the New Year's party, and I can't tell you how I'll know. If we tell you about this, you will be invited to join us. It will change your life, and how you view the universe. It is bigger than each of us as individuals. That is why I won't tell you as individuals. I may be able to tell you as a family, because this is something that you can't hide from your wives or children. It will change their lives, too. If that seems scary to you, there is something else to keep in mind. Telling you endangers my family and yours. I am risking my family if we tell you, and you'll be risking your families by them knowing."

"Then why tell us?" Buck asked from the back. "Hell, Captain. It's enough to know there's a reason you do some of the crazy things you do. Bottom line is, they work, and I can live with that. Why tell us?"

"Because, Buck, I found out something a couple of days ago," Caleb said, suddenly sounding tired. "Because of it, a lot more people are going to need to know. We're working on a way to select the people that know, but, like I said, I trust you guys. We've got to start someplace, and you guys are a better choice than most. Think about what I said, though. I was serious when I said that it will change your lives, and how you look at the universe. I was also deadly serious about the danger. The knowledge is dangerous to anyone that knows, and that includes your families. Don't come if you can't wrap your mind around that."

"Are you sure we'll be finished with this job by New Year's Eve?" Ben asked dubiously.

"I hope so," he said fervently. "If we aren't, whatever we can tell you Friday night may be even more important," Caleb predicted ominously.

"So you were serious about that brain virus?" Cory asked, sounding worried.

"Not exactly," Caleb replied, "It is more dangerous than a brain virus. All I can say is, if you get a shot at either of these men, make it a head shot. I'm serious about that. Not a body shot, like you are taught. Make it a head shot," he repeated.

"Caleb, something's coming," Al announced.

Caleb focused on Al, and felt what the alien had sensed. It was similar to sensing another Companion, but there was an ominous darkness to it. Whatever, or whoever, they were sensing was several miles away, farther than he should have been able to sense it. But it was very powerful, and coming towards them, fast.

Caleb keyed the radio before hurriedly saying, "Vehicles two and three, set up a roadblock adjacent to the entrance to this turnout. There is a vehicle coming from the direction of the ranch. Stop it, or redirect it into the turnout."

"He did it again!" Teddy murmured to Buck.

"Yeah, and I'm going to be there New Year's Eve to find out how and why," Buck vowed.

"Where do you want our Suburban?" Jimmy asked, as he put the big vehicle in gear.

"It is only one of them, and he's coming fast," Caleb answered absently, considering their options. "Block the bypass," he ordered briskly.

The three vehicles maneuvered until two blocked the two-lane road, and the Suburban blocked the pullout.

"Lights on," Caleb ordered for all three vehicles. "Spot lights, focus about a hundred yards down the road. Once the vehicle appears, keep the spots on it."


Aimal Kassem had dozed while waiting for darkness to fall. He awoke to the blackness of a moonless night. He tried to figure out what had caused him to wake up, but couldn't identify it. Whatever it was, Aimal felt cold chills of fear crawl up his spine.

He carefully looked around the inside of the barn, but couldn't see anything that would cause fear. Of course, there wasn't much that he would be able to see in the dark interior of the barn.

Aimal had sent a carefully worded text message to his contact before falling asleep. The message was a book recommendation. The recommendation mentioned a specific chapter as being pertinent, and how many of his friends had read it, and how many had liked it. The chapter number and the number of friends were keys to a message that could be deciphered from the book.

The decoded message read, 'Americans have alien tech and an alien mind symbiote. Can read minds. Will bring sample.'

The report was brief, but would alert his countrymen of the danger, and the promise. He would provide a complete report after he escaped and had secure communications. The message would also ensure his handlers would do everything possible to ensure he made that complete report. Aimal wouldn't be left in the cold.

Aimal made sure the doors were locked before starting the SUV. The running lights illuminated the inside of the barn, and he carefully looked around the interior. Aimal still couldn't see anything that would cause the fear he felt crawling across his skin. He checked his pistol, and ensured his jacket and seatbelt didn't inhibit his access to it.

He carefully drove forward, leaving the barn, but the fear didn't abate. If anything, it grew. Aimal fought to control the fear, carefully following the blacktop road in the headlights. He tried praying, but it didn't help. He began panting as the fear slowly grew into full blown terror, and his speed increased.

Lights bloomed nearly a mile ahead of him. That was when Aimal noticed that his speedometer needle was trembling as it tried to reach the one hundred five miles-per-hour mark. The SUV was not a good high-speed vehicle. He took his foot off the gas. The terror grew more acute, and he began trembling.

Aimal slowed, as he felt something clawing at his mind. That was when he realized, with terrifying clarity, that he hadn't been feeling something outside the SUV. Whatever was spawning the terror was inside him.

Searchlights blinded Aimal, and he quickly slowed the SUV, while battling whatever was in his mind.

"The Companion," Aimal said aloud.

Aimal didn't understand. The girl hadn't mentioned the terror he felt.

The words, "I'M FREE," thundered in Aimal's mind, and he felt unspeakable evil clawing at his thoughts.

He slammed on the brakes, sliding to a stop, no longer aware of the lights. Aimal unbuckled his seatbelt, and drew his pistol in one motion. He tried to point the pistol at his own head, but something prevented him. He opened the door, and stumbled into the road.

"YOU DARE OPPOSE ME?" Aimal roared with a guttural animal sound.

Aimal recognized it as his own voice, but he hadn't said the words. Something else had used his body to say them. He wasn't sure if the words were directed at the men with the lights, or at himself. Aimal was losing control of his mind and his body.

"Allah Akbar," Aimal screamed, and it was only his devotion to his God that allowed him to wrest back that much control before he began convulsively pulling the trigger of his pistol.


"Get to the sides of the vehicles," Caleb yelled when he saw the speed of the approaching headlights. "He may try to ram his way through."

He felt relief when the vehicle began slowing, and then began rapidly braking when the spotlights hit it. It was a large SUV, and Caleb was relieved that it was stopping. It would have caused a lot of damage if it had rammed them.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close