Corruption - Book 2 of Evolution - Cover

Corruption - Book 2 of Evolution

Copyright© 2015 by Misguided Child

Chapter 10: Blitz

JJ tried to hurry her last appointment of the day. That wasn't something she did often, but the patient's issues were more mental than physical. The woman did have physical problems, but nothing that a balanced diet wouldn't fix. Unfortunately, preparing a balanced diet was too much work for this patient. She preferred a magic pill that would allow her to continue eating junk food and trying to act like she was twenty, instead of on the north side of forty.

"Surprise, surprise," JJ angrily muttered to herself as she hurried through the hospital check-out procedures. "You're getting old, Mrs. Smith. Try acting like an adult if you want to feel better."

She compared Mrs. Smith to a patient she had seen earlier. Emily Patterson wasn't JJ's patient, but JJ had agreed to see her because Emily's doctor was on vacation someplace in the Caribbean. Emily was eighty-three years old, and had terminal cancer. With her new-found capabilities, JJ could have healed her, over time, but it was much too late in the treatment process to go unnoticed. Besides, Emily had accepted her coming death. She only wanted to hang on until after the holidays, and if possible, do it without too much more pain. She didn't want her family's holidays to be saddened, or have her death overshadow future holidays. JJ had taken her pain, and ensured that Emily's wish would be granted. She would last until after the holidays.

JJ was anxious to get home. There were too many things happening this morning, and she was worried about her family. Gabi was kidnapped, but Caleb and her dad would rescue her soon. Her mental connection to Caleb wasn't constant in the sense of continuously monitoring her husband. Her connection was more in the sense of being continually aware of his mental and physical well-being. Caleb and Scotty being shot at earlier had frightened JJ even more than revealing their secret to Scotty had. Caleb would be bringing Gabi to their house, and JJ felt that she needed to be there to meet them when they arrived. Gabi's Companion would heal any of the girl's physical damage, but JJ wasn't sure what a new Companion could do about mental trauma.

"Doctor Connor," a voice called, as JJ stepped through the automatic door of the emergency room exit.

JJ turned back to the hospital as a nurse hurried to her.

"These are the Christmas Cards that were addressed to you, Doctor Connor," the nurse said, handing JJ a folder. "We're taking down the Christmas decorations, and I didn't want your cards to get lost in the shuffle."

"Thanks, Nancy," JJ said warmly, accepting the folder. "Happy New Year. Don't exceed your fun quota if you go to a New Year's party."

"No worry there," the nurse said with a grimace. "I'm on duty New Year's Eve. Maybe one of these days when I'm old and gray I'll have enough seniority to get New Year's Eve off."

"And then you'll be too old to enjoy the party," JJ commiserated with a knowing laugh. "Been there, done that, and have the t-shirt," she continued with a shake of her head. "Happy New Year anyway. Maybe the new year will bring better circumstances."

"Yeah, well, I hope so," Nancy replied doubtfully. "I'm afraid to say things can't get any worse," she said, waving her hand at the hospital. "Every time that I do, another rule or regulation is spawned, and it gets worse."

"Things will get better," JJ said in a quieter voice, patting the nurse's arm. "We just have to believe it, and be willing to work for it."

"Thank you, Doctor Connor. Happy New Year," the nurse said, before turning back towards the hospital interior.

JJ watched the nurse for a moment, lost in thought, as she considered the challenges the hospital, and the entire medical profession were facing. Medically, the world was a very different place than it was when she finished her internship.

She turned back and began walking briskly towards the parking lot. JJ really wanted to be home when Caleb arrived with Gabi.

There was no reason for JJ to notice the idling van at the other end of the parking lot as it began moving.


Mohamed Amil tapped speed dial number three on his phone and hit talk.

"She is exiting the hospital now," Mohamed informed the listener that answered on the first ring. "Move on the house now," he ordered.

"An old woman arrived about fifteen minutes ago," Jameel Carim replied. "We were only supposed to bring the boy. Should we bring the woman, too, or kill her?"

Mohamed hesitated for a moment. Killing was final, and abrogated any future value. On the other hand, Mullah Hassan had only ordered the two teens to be kidnapped, and one of them had left early that morning. The Mullah frightened Mohamed more than he would admit, and he was not about to do anything other than what the man ordered.

"Kill her," he ordered. "Move on the house now. The Doctor is walking towards her car."

"Yes, sir," Jameel replied before ending the call.

Mohamed stabbed speed dial number four and spoke when the call was answered.

"Take the girl, now," he ordered.

"She is in the library, studying with another girl," Ahail Rahal replied. "They are the only two in the main part of the library. What should I do with the other girl?"

"Take her with you. Kill her and leave her when you get to someplace that it won't be noticed," Mohamed ordered.

"Yes, sir," Ahail replied before disconnecting.

Ahail nodded to the other passenger, saying, "We take them both. The blond girl is the only one that must reach the Mosque."

The other passenger grinned, showing a gold tooth, while asking, "So, we can do anything we want with the other girl?"

Ahail grinned back, and said, "It is a long drive back to Houston." He glanced at the driver, saying, "We may have to switch drivers several times before we get there."

"I'm sure I can find something to do during my breaks," the driver replied, smiling in anticipation.


Jameel Carim gave his driver a nod. The van quickly moved around the corner, and turned into the driveway of the Connor residence. They didn't need to discuss what would happen next.

Jameel and his crew had perfected the art of home invasion in Chicago, long before they had converted to Islam. The driver was their only new member, but he came with high recommendations for his driving skill and ruthlessness. None of the crew even blinked at receiving orders to kill an old woman. They had passed that threshold long ago. Jameel was wearing a FedEx cap, and a shirt with a FedEx logo. That was usually enough to get the door open, especially at this time of year. A gun pressed against the person's forehead when the door opened usually resolved any additional issues.

Jameel stood back from the door and nodded, after taking a deep breath. The man on his right, out of sight of the peephole, returned his nod and rang the door bell.

The door opened after a few moments, and Jameel took a step forward before pressing the barrel of his pistol against the old woman's forehead.

She gaped at him, and then fainted.


Kim was back in the college library with Joyce. She was a little tired. It had been a late night, and an early morning. Still, she had slept for a few hours, and Alice could help, for a short amount of time, with cleaning the toxins that built up in her blood due to lack of sleep.

Joyce had been surprised at her call, but had agreed to meet her for breakfast before going to the library when it opened at Nine. The two young women were the only two studying. Several library staff had been working around the library, but they had all gone to offices in the back. Presumably they went for lunch. Judging from the faint notes of music Kim heard, plus the laughter, the library staff were having an impromptu New Year's Eve party.

Kim had been prepared to leave, when she heard about Gabi being kidnapped, and then Caleb being shot at. Caleb and her mom both had assured her that staying put in a public place was the safest course of action. She looked around at the empty library, and grimaced.

Joyce glanced wistfully towards the back of the library.

"It sounds like they're kicking off the New Year early," Kim commented.

"Yeah, it does," Joyce said, before quickly looking back at their papers.

"She's lonely," Alice said. "She's wishing that she had someone to spend New Year's Eve with."

"Do you think it would be okay to invite her home?" Kim asked her Companion. "I mean, I know that it would be okay, but I was referring to the problem we're having with General Branch."

"I know what you meant," Alice replied drily. "I think she would fit with our group well," the Companion continued. "She is in danger from General Branch, just by being with you. I don't think going home with you would significantly increase her danger."

"Joyce, I'm tired, and I'm tired of sitting in this library," Kim announced. "We have all the information that we can get from the library. Let's finish this report someplace else."

"Okay. Where do you want to work on it?" Joyce asked uncertainly.

"How about at my house? You can come home with me, and we'll work on it over the weekend," Kim replied.

"I don't know," Joyce hedged.

"We don't usually make a big deal of New Years, but popcorn and a movie with my family isn't so bad," Kim explained. "I understand if you're planning on going to some big party. Popcorn and a movie can't compete with a party, and the only boy at my house will probably be my little brother. This year might be a little different than normal. My family is involved with a lot more than we have been in years past and we may be going to a restaurant run by a family friend."

"I'm not planning on going to a party, and going to your house sounds fun," Joyce said, relieved that she wouldn't be welcoming the New Year alone.

"Let's pack this stuff up and get out of here then," Kim said decisively.

Matching deeds to words, the two young women began moving the organized chaos of their papers on the library table into folders. Their papers would barely fit in their backpacks.

"Two men," Alice announced urgently.

Kim glanced towards the door. Two black men were twenty-five feet away, and walking briskly towards the two girls. Both men had their hands inside their jackets. Kim was sure their hands were on weapons.

"Joyce," Kim whispered urgently. "Stay cool. There is going to be trouble. Follow my lead, and we'll be okay."

"Why don't you let us carry your packs for you," Ahail said quietly, stopping beside Kim and gripping her arm. "If either of you makes a fuss, Red dies painfully," he said, nodding towards Joyce. "Do you understand?"

The other man smiled evilly, revealing a gold tooth, and grabbed Joyce's arm.

Kim nodded, saying, "Just don't get the packs mixed up. This one is Joyce's pack," she said, handing her pack across the table to exchange with the other one, and brushing against the other man's hand in the process.

Joyce opened her mouth to correct Kim, but closed it again and didn't say anything. She looked terrified.

"Let's go," Ahail quietly ordered, picking up Joyce's pack with one hand, and adjusting his grip on Kim's arm with the other.

Gold tooth followed suit with Joyce, and the two young girls were quickly escorted towards the front door of the Library.

"Two men are trying to kidnap my friend and me from the main library at the college," Kim told her mom and Caleb.

"We're about to take Gabi back," Caleb replied. "Something is happening with your mom and grandma, too. I think this is a coordinated strike to take all of you at once. Can you take care of yourself for a few minutes."

"I think so," Kim answered hesitantly. "I'm just worried about Joyce. She has no protection."

"Well, try to give us a few minutes," Caleb said. "When you get ready to attack, let us know. As many as are free will link with you."

"Okay," Kim agreed doubtfully, wondering if she should attack now, while the odds were still in her favor.

"Wait," Alice advised. "The library has video cameras. We need to be someplace private. We'll know if they plan on doing anything lethal, and we'll have time to attack."

"Okay," Kim said again, feeling only slightly reassured. "I'm getting so tired of this," she said angrily.

"Well, don't do anything stupid, just because you're angry," Alice warned.

"I'm not going to do anything stupid," Kim complained.

The girls had to squint in the bright sunlight when they left the library. They were hurried towards a waiting van. Kim was pushed in first, followed by the man, Ahail, Kim had learned from his thoughts. Joyce was right behind them, and gold tooth crowded in beside the tall, slim red head.

"Go," Ahail ordered, and the driver calmly drove away.

Ahail opened his phone, hit a speed dial number, and a moment later said, "Success plus one," before hitting the end button and turning towards the girls.

"We have a long drive ahead of us," Ahail informed the girls. "Whatever shall we do?" he asked with a leer.

"I have an idea," gold tooth said with an even more chilling leer, and reached for Joyce.


"Do you think Nancy would be a good candidate for our little club?" JJ asked Amy, her Companion, as she briskly walked across the parking lot.

"I think so," Amy replied. "She is truly concerned with creating a better working environment. She wants it for herself and the other nurses, but she wants it for the patients, too. She has some problems with an old boyfriend that won't leave her alone, but a Companion should solve that problem."

"One way or another," JJ agreed. "Emily Patterson would be a good choice, too. A Companion would heal her cancer, and could even make her look young again, but that might expose us too much. That age group would be good to explore for candidates. They would be more mature. We can..."

"Someone is watching you," Amy interrupted urgently. "Someone that wishes you harm," she added.

JJ glanced up and saw the van speeding towards her. She stepped back, partially shielding herself by a parked car.

"They're planning on kidnapping you," Amy announced angrily.

"Like hell," JJ muttered angrily.

JJ was a doctor, and by all accounts, a very good doctor. She had taken an oath to do no harm, and had lived by that oath for most of her professional life. She still did, essentially, but with a caveat. JJ had been exposed to the dark side of human nature since receiving a Companion. The ability to know what was in a person's mind was not always a blessing. JJ had developed her mental discipline to block deeper memories, but she couldn't block surface thoughts when examining patients. They were bad enough. JJ still believed in the concept of 'do no harm, ' but she also believed that people should get what they deserved, and these men were about to learn how bad their just desserts were about to be.

Bracelets on both arms extended a few inches to cover her hands. The torque around her neck changed with the goal of creating a natural looking hood. The hood didn't have time to finish forming before the van arrived. Strengthened bones, hyper fast reflexes, and muscle memory learned from sparring with Caleb would have to do.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close