A Lodi Christmas - Cover

A Lodi Christmas

Copyright© 2019 by AA Nemo

Chapter 18

I’ve had my moments
I’ve had my moments, I will confess
My fleeting moments of tenderness
I sang of true love, I’ve played guitars
Then found a new love beneath the stars
This time’s the last time, this time it’s new
Love as a pastime for me is through
I’ve had my moments, my big bad moments,
But now my one big moment is you.

Walter Donaldson & Gus Kahn

Cindy McCabe experienced a moment of disorientation as she came out of a deep sleep. She lay quiet for a few moments as she took in her surroundings.

It was Christmas Day. She and Case and Jenny were flying in a chartered jet traveling from Sacramento to Barnwell to spend the remainder of the holidays with Case’s family. They were joined by Valeria and Ramón. The charter was courtesy of Rafael Ramirez, who was also on board.

Cindy was fully reclined on a wide comfortable seat; a feather pillow cradled her head, and a soft woolen blanket covered her from chin to toes. The large oval aircraft window on her left showed clear blue sky.

I thought La Banda being chauffeured around in a King Air for the last couple of months was the lap of luxury, but it pales in comparison to this Gulfstream. Maybe I should talk to Felicity and the Board about upgrading...

She smiled at the fantasy, and when she turned her head, her smile broadened as she saw Case watching her from the seat next to hers.

Will I ever get used to the way he looks at me? I hope not.

“Feeling better?”

She nodded. “Lots. Just needed a bit of a nap. How long?”

“About two hours.”

“Oh!”

She found the controls and brought her seat upright, then reached out from under the blanket and took his hand. He gave hers a gentle squeeze and leaned over to kiss her.

“Oh no you don’t! I must look a fright, and I need to brush my teeth and at least wash my face and comb my hair before I let you anywhere near me.”

He reached across with his other hand and gently touched her face. “You’re beautiful and this morning you certainly didn’t mind when I woke you.”

She could feel herself reddening and quickly looked at the fully reclined seat across the aisle. There wasn’t much sign of Jenny except a bit of hair peeking from under a pile of blankets.

She tried to look serious. “That was different...”

He crooked an eyebrow, a twinkle in his eyes.

“You took advantage of a poor defenseless sleeping woman.”

His fingers gently made their way down her cheek to her neck. “Yes, I did.” He didn’t look repentant at all.

“Now, stop that.” Her voice came out husky. She reached up to brush his hand away, but instead put her hand over his.

“I love you, Case.”

He moved his hand to the back of her neck, gently pulled her to him, and lightly kissed her lips. “I love you, Cindy.”

His hand moved back to her cheek and he looked into her eyes. “I’m so happy you said yes.”

How could I resist?

“You weren’t worried, were you?” she teased.

He returned her smile. “Well, maybe a little. I’ve never proposed before, and I was asking the beautiful, talented and successful Cindy McCabe to be my wife...”

“And had you received any indication that...” She leaned close and kissed his cheek, “‘the beautiful, talented, and successful’ Cindy McCabe might not want to be married to you?”

His smile belied his serious tone. “Proposing, as in flying, requires one to prepare and anticipate the unexpected.”

Cindy laughed “Hard to believe that the man I love, the methodical pilot, who doesn’t do anything without a plan, hadn’t already figured his chance of success was 100%.”

He nodded. “Maybe ... But I had done all the preparations ... just to be sure.”

“Oh, like a pre-flight – file a flight plan, check the weather, examine the control surfaces, check the fuel?”

“Something like that.” He grinned. “Picked up the ring, practiced my speech and made sure the weather would be perfect for a very early Christmas morning proposal on the veranda.”

“And I was told by a very reliable informant just this morning that your preparation included...” She looked at the bundle of blankets across the aisle.

She didn’t stir when Case carried her from the SUV to the airplane.

“Asking Jenny for permission.”

He smiled sheepishly. “I did. It seemed like I should talk to her first, so I had a conversation with Ms. Willets when I was up for Thanksgiving – asking for her blessing sort of thing.”

Cindy looked surprised “Thanksgiving? She knew all this time ... and kept it from me?”

“Yup. A good thing she likes me, otherwise...”

Cindy hugged his arm again and put her head on his shoulder, smiling. “Good thing for me. Anyway, you certainly knew what she would say. That girl adores you.”

“And I feel the same, and doubly fortunate considering the competition.”

“Competition?”

“Harrison, Matt, Jim and Tom Moore, Tomás, even Ramón – the men in her life, who love her and watch over her.”

She nodded, thoughtfully.

Competition? How about Jessica, Jo Archer, Bonnie Moore, Rashmi, Valeria, Maria, Sofía, and all the women in La Banda? It’s a good thing Jenny’s a level-headed kid!

Case sighed theatrically. “And despite all my preparations, you seemed a bit hesitant at first.”

Cindy squeezed his hand, and then tried unsuccessfully to look serious. “Hesitant? I was half asleep and exhausted after a long day...”

“Of doing what you love – you and Essie and Janine having a ball fronting La Banda at the Christmas Eve party...”

Cindy interrupted with a laugh, “And you seemed to enjoy singing with us, too.”

“How could I not? Especially with you.”

Right answer!

She grinned. “‘You’re the Reason God Made Oklahoma’ seemed to get everyone’s attention.”

“That’s become our signature song, hasn’t it?”

She nodded. “And our version of ‘You and Tequila’ seemed to go over well.”

He laughed. “To put it mildly! Krista told me she thought she’d have to throw a bucket of cold water on us!”

She tried her best sultry look, but gave herself away when she giggled. “That was fun, wasn’t it?”

“I thought so, although we’ll probably never hear the end of it from La Banda, and a few others!”

She gave him a beaming smile. “They’re just jealous. Anyway, you’re my man, and I want everyone to know it.”

“I think they got the idea...”

“Really?” She batted her eyes and then kissed him.

“Especially Essie?” he teased.

“Oh, she knows. I’m glad you sang a duet with her though.”

“Yeah, she does have.an amazing voice.”

“No dispute there. Considering the reviews with Sofía and La Banda at the rodeo in Payson that week I was in Austin back in August, I wonder if I’d be missed. It’s probably a good thing she’s still up in Oregon going to school most of the year!” Cindy laughed and put her head on his shoulder.

He smiled and shook his head. “I don’t think that’s a problem. You’re the glue that holds La Banda together, and from what I understand when Essie graduates, she’s going to build spaceships for Elon Musk. But you do have to admit we do well together...”

“Careful there Mr. Reynolds. I think I need to remind Essie about the no touching rule!”

He chuckled.

They were silent a few moments, just enjoying their closeness. Then he asked, “Essie wasn’t at the Hacienda this morning. Did she go up to the school?”

She nodded. “She left for Red Bluff right after the party last night. She wanted to join Sofía, Amalia, and the Moore’s to celebrate Christmas with the girls.”

“Sofía’s so involved with the school I figured she’d be up there. Last year wasn’t she off in southern California somewhere with Ian and his family?”

“Yes, but not this year. She went up to the school a few days ago, determined to spend Christmas Eve and Day at the School. She felt so guilty last year that she vowed to never miss another Christmas with ‘her girls.’ Ian volunteered to fly up and join her, but she asked him not to. They’ve agreed that Sofía will join him and his family a couple days after Christmas. Ian’s a great guy. I’m glad they’re taking things slow, especially with Sofía in medical school and Ian doing graduate work.”

“How about Tom and Rashmi? Off to London again?”

She shook her head. “They’re at the school too. Rashmi’s becoming more involved. She’s even teaching some science classes there.”

“How does she find the time with Vet school?”

“That girl has boundless energy, plus she’s very organized.”

“So, no Christmas at the Hacienda this year?”

“She and Tom, and probably Jim and Bonnie, will come down tomorrow to meet Rashmi’s parents and sister at SFO, and then spend the night at the Hacienda before heading back to the ranch.”

“She seems pretty happy.”

Cindy nodded. “London girl finds the man of her dreams at O’Hare, Jessica brings her to California where said man lives, she becomes a rancher’s wife, and soon to be a large animal veterinarian. She’s living her dream and is happy as can be.”

“And what about you, Ms. McCabe?” He smiled. “Are you happy as can be?”

He was surprised when she paused and then looked up at him with a thoughtful expression which eventually turned into a slight smile.

“Before you came along, I was perfectly content being a Mom, singing with La Banda, and being involved with Cowgirls. The radio show was icing on the cake.”

Tongue in cheek, he replied, “Oh, sort of like, a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle?”

“Hardly! But relationships need work, and with my schedule, I had neither the time nor the inclination to even attempt to find someone, much less put in the effort.”

Plus, my track record with men is pretty dismal – my fault mostly.

She touched his face. “Then one morning a year ago, you appeared on the porch swing at the Hacienda and my entire world changed.”

He kissed the top of her head. “Mine too. Over the next couple of days, I discovered I wanted to spend a lot more time with you. It seemed like you were the woman I’d been looking for all my life.”

“Uh, huh.” She nodded, pressed against his chest. When she looked up, she chided with a smile, “But, then, as I recall, when you came back from your ‘lunch meeting’ with your Air-Bytes compatriots, I saw you kissing Vika. That looked a lot like you’d decided she was the woman you’d been looking for!”

“She took me by surprise...”

“I was watching. Remember? You were resisting so manfully.” she teased.

He sighed, “I’m never going to hear the end of that, am I?”

Cindy stifled a giggle and shook her head. “Of course not, it’s a woman’s prerogative to mention such things.”

Case shook his head.

“Anyway, on my visit to Austin last month, Anastasia and I had lunch with her, and Lisette Oropesa.”

“Oh? I don’t think you mentioned it.”

“You were off somewhere that day – Dallas, I think. Anyway, it was very pleasant and we heard all about Vika’s new man.” She paused. “I don’t think Lisette likes me though.”

“Huh?”

“Lisette had plans for you.”

“Lisette’s a friend...”

Cindy ignored that statement as she went on, “I suppose I should be grateful to her – taking your place as senior pilot at Air-Bytes...”

“And buying my house.”

“What?”

“Buying...”

“I heard. When? How?”

He chuckled. “A couple of days ago, just before I came up from Austin. With all the craziness the last couple of days, I guess it just slipped my mind. I did tell you she signed the lease a few weeks ago?”

Cindy nodded.

“Well, but upon reflection she decided she wanted to buy the house. She convinced me that since it was unlikely, I would be back in Austin to stay, that it just made sense, so she made me an offer.” He smiled. “She pointed out that the house was already pilot central so logically the new senior pilot should also become the new owner.”

Cindy squeezed his arm, and with a playful smile, asked, “So, even if I’d turned you down, I guess you’d decided you’d take the newly created VP job in Sacramento regardless?”

He shook his head. “No.”

“No? But you said, you were leaving Austin?”

“As you know, when we were negotiating the deal with Duncan to add ASA to his stable of companies, it became obvious that the new Air-Bytes-ASA lash up needed a VP for West Coast and Rocky Mountains operations.”

“Yes, located in Sacramento. And?”

“He added a proviso that if you didn’t accept, I’d come to work for him in Dallas as Executive Vice President of the Duncan Group.”

“What?” She opened her mouth to say something more but closed it and blinked as she came to terms with what he’d told her. Finally, she said, “You gave up ... I mean you could have been ... I mean...”

He grinned and hugged her. “You and Jenny are worth it. And, since Angus has met you and Jenny, I don’t think the job was ever seriously on the table, at least for now. He was pretty sure the ‘beautiful and talented Cindy McCabe... ‘“

“And successful...” She giggled.

He shook his head. “Right. And successful Cindy McCabe would agree to marry me ... despite some hesitation...”

She tried without success to be serious, still reeling from his revelation. “Still on about that, huh? I thought we’d covered that. I’d been going all day...”

“Having fun.”

She stuck out her tongue. “It was late when we got to the Hacienda after midnight Mass. I have to admit I was puzzled when you maneuvered me out to the porch swing.”

He smiled affectionally. “I guess my first clue should have been when I thought I’d have to carry you out there.”

“Exactly! With my addled brain I figured after the craziness of the day you just wanted some quiet time for the two of us. Although it was nice sitting cuddled with you while we were rocking and looking at the stars, and the fairy lights in the garden, I was on the verge of sleep.”

“It was nice, wasn’t it?”

She nodded. “And you caught me at a time when I hadn’t had coffee in hours and my synapses weren’t firing, so I was bit slow on the uptake when you started in about wanting to spend the rest of your life with me.”

“So, you do remember that part?” he teased.

“Oh, yes, and then you kissed me.” She stared at him, trying hard not to laugh. “Another reason my synapses weren’t firing.”

She paused, smiling with the memory. “And then you put the ring on my finger and asked me to marry you.”

“Drowsy or not, I distinctly remember you said yes ... after you hesitated...”

“You mean after I took a few seconds to wake up and figure out I wasn’t dreaming?”

Case smiled and nodded as he lifted her hand and examined the diamond solitaire, mounted in an intricately woven platinum band.

“Synapses or not, I’m holding you to your answer, and you certainly didn’t complain after I put this on your finger.”

And I’ll never take it off!

She batted her eyes. “You’re so big and strong, I was overwhelmed.”

Case laughed and she giggled.

Cindy wiggled her hand, the diamond sparkling in the light from the window. She smirked. “It’s probably too late to back out now anyway. I’m sure about one second after you were out the door at Clarks that Andrew started to spread the word. He’s probably called Sandy, so we won’t even have to send out engagement announcements!”

He laughed. “True enough.” And then added, “When I picked up the ring yesterday...”

“On Christmas Eve?”

“Yes, on Christmas Eve. There was a bit of a delay so it had just arrived at Clarks from the goldsmith in Grass Valley. Andrew called and said he didn’t mind opening his shop for a ‘special friend of Cindy McCabe.’” He grinned. “I definitely know my future place in Lodi ... as Mr. McCabe.”

Once again, with great effort, Cindy controlled the urge to roll her eyes.

He chuckled. “So, I guess you really will marry me.”

She sighed. “Can’t see any way around it, ‘Mr. McCabe.’ I guess I’ll just be resigned to my fate.” She paused and said with a grin, “Plus, Jenny wants to be a bridesmaid.”

He chuckled and pulled her close and kissed her, and then said, “I’m glad that’s settled.”

She leaned against him.

It was settled by the time I left Austin last August. It just took a little time for all the pieces to fall into place.


“Did you sleep at all?”

“Dozed a little, but you know me – I’m a pilot. All my training says bad things happen when you fall asleep while flying.”

“But you’re not flying. I’m sure those two, up front, are perfectly capable of handling things.”

Case made a show of looking around the spacious, well-appointed cabin of the Gulfstream and then out at the cloudless blue sky.

“Sure looks like flying to me, and you never know...”

Cindy just shook her head.

After a couple of minutes of resting against him, enjoying their closeness, she pulled away slightly and brought up what had been in the back of her mind most of the day. “Today’s the day ... I mean it’s the anniversary...”

“Yes.” He said softly.

“I’m a bit lost about meeting your parents. I know we’ve had video chats, and talked on the phone, but today of all days ... I’m so happy about out engagement, but it hardly seems...”

Case touched her face. “I talked to them this morning. They’re thrilled, and can’t wait to meet you and Jenny.”

“I’m glad, but...”

“Cindy, my mother insists that we’ll not allow what those criminals did to define our Christmases. Tonight, the family will go to the columbarium for a celebration of Juliet’s life. We’ll remember her as a wonderful sister and daughter.”

I just wish I was meeting them under different circumstances. We’ve talked, but it’s not the same as meeting them in person. Now I’m going to be part of the Reynolds family. They seem like nice people and they’re going to become instant grandparents too. No worries there. Jenny will charm them, I’m sure.

She nodded. “What about Valeria and Mr. Ramirez? How will they fit in tonight?”

“Valeria and Ramón will be there, and knowing Rafael Ramirez, there’s no way to keep him away. He’ll be there to pay his respects. Juliet gave her life for Valeria, and Ramirez feels it’s a debt he can never repay.”

“Could it be a bit uncomfortable?”

He shrugged. “Maybe ... on his part, but not for the family. It’s just there’s still a lot of guilt there. He’ll attend out of respect for Juliet and the family, but I doubt he’ll have much to say. We already know how he feels and how my family feels about Juliet’s sacrifice.”

Cindy nodded. “Valeria spent those months with your family and I know your parents have come to love her. I heard Ramirez visited them briefly last summer ... making amends?”

“I don’t think of it that way. Rafael is Valeria’s grandfather, but he’s been a father to her most of her life, and he can feel the pain of loss that Mom and Dad feel because it could easily have been Valeria. What happened that night shook him. The fact it was not some random act but perpetrated by Rafael’s enemies makes it that much more frightening and more cause for guilt.”

“Absolution then?”

He sat quietly, thinking. “Perhaps, although Mom and Dad aren’t looking to blame anyone other than the perpetrators. They love Valeria, and even though they’ve never said it, I think they feel that somehow Valeria is worthy of Juliet’s sacrifice.”

Cindy nodded and after a while asked, “And you?”

He considered her question for a few seconds. “I’ve had lots of time to think about it and I’ve come to terms with it. I still miss Juliet. She gave her life protecting Valeria, but it wasn’t like she had a choice. They were ambushed and like a well-trained cop she fought back.

“As much as I care for Valeria, would I trade her to have Juliet back?” He looked sad. “I don’t have that choice, but I do have to live with the consequences of what happened a year ago.” He paused. “I ... we ... my family, can’t let Juliet’s death define our lives.”

He paused again, and then answered with a faraway look. “In Afghanistan, I learned that death doesn’t discriminate. Young, old, sick, healthy, beautiful, plain, it doesn’t matter. One minute you can be happy, joking, full of life and the next...”

She squeezed his hand, and said softly, “Like your friend Aarash?”

He jerked back from wherever he was and gave her a sharp look. “How?”

Cindy quickly responded to his frown. “Rashmi didn’t go into detail, she made it clear it was your story to tell.”

She felt him relax.

“She did tell me when she and Tom visited Aarash’s family during the holidays last year there were framed photos of you and Aarash. His mother also showed them the letter you sent after his death. The family was so grateful to have his watch. It represented a connection since they were deprived of even having his remains.”

He nodded sadly. “He was my friend.”

When will Case tell me about what he calls ‘his one bad day?’ He said Aarash was his friend. I wish I knew more about how they became friends and how Aarash died. Xena provided me with the citations and I’m pretty sure Aarash was with Case on that day. Jo Archer says not to push it. Matt never talked to me about those bad days, and neither did Harrison. Perhaps someday we’ll go to London to meet Aarash’s family too.

Case paused, struggling with his emotions.

“They called me right after Tom’s visit thanking me for returning the watch. I also got a call from Tom while they were still in London. We talked for quite some time about his visit ... and other things.”

He looked at her, his emotions still close to the surface. “So, we keep going and eventually the hurt goes away and the sadness fades. While we push those feelings away, we need to make sure we don’t forget Juliet ... or Aarash.”

After a few moments he went on. “Is Valeria worthy of Juliet’s sacrifice? I hope so. Time will tell. She’s her grandfather’s heir apparent. If she follows in his footsteps what does Juliet’s sacrifice mean?” He shook his head, and said softly, almost to himself, “Killing a bunch of gangsters to save a rival gangster’s granddaughter so she can eventually take over the family business...”

He was quiet for a couple of minutes, staring at the amazingly clear sky out the large oval window. Finally, Cindy asked, “Case, you probably know Valeria as well as anyone. I know she talks to you all the time.”

He nodded.

“Do you think, after what happened she could really continue in her grandfather’s footsteps?”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close