A Lodi Christmas
Chapter 17

Copyright© 2019 by AA Nemo

At Last
My love has come along
My lonely days are over
And Life is like a song
Mack Gordon and Harry Warren

Kesi Kaufmann glanced at the instruments, quickly scanned the airspace around her, and then went back to looking straight ahead. Like any good pilot, her actions were ingrained. Those instruments showed she was flying at 22,000 feet, in a north westerly direction. Indicated airspeed was 280 mph. They were two hours into the five- hour trip between Austin and Sacramento. Kesi had been at the controls most of that time.

Case smiled with satisfaction as he looked across the cockpit and watched the fifteen-year-old as she piloted the only Aero Services Austin TBM that was retrofitted to carry passengers. During her time at the controls, she had never touched the auto-pilot.

She’s like me – she prefers to fly rather than just be a passenger in the cockpit. If I hadn’t been watching I’d have sworn that she’d engaged the auto-pilot just after she took the controls – she’s that smooth. This girl is the one in a thousand natural pilot. She’s so in-tune with the aircraft that as her brain registers changes in the flight dynamics, her hands are instinctively making the delicate adjustments to the controls to maintain level flight.

Technically Kesi shouldn’t be flying at all, since she can’t even get a student pilot license in the US until she’s sixteen, despite being an experienced pilot flying her own Cessna in Kenya. Since it’s just the two of us up front and Anastasia in the back, nobody is going to complain. Too bad she’s so young or Aero Services Austin could hire her.

He had to suppress a laugh as he imagined a hypothetical group of wealthy ASA customers off for a weekend of hunting in the Piney Woods of East Texas, watching Kesi doing the pre-flight of the TBM and then taking the pilot’s seat. He knew the day she turned seventeen she’d be first in line to get her private pilot license, and a year later to get her commercial license. He had no doubt she’d pass her exams without any problems.

At present she had about a dozen ‘bootleg’ hours in a TBM, since she had accompanied Jonas on four flights from Charleston where they’d taken delivery of Air-Bytes’ new 930s. A couple of days ago when Case had taken her for a check ride, he’d been astonished by her skills.

I shouldn’t have been, though. Right from the preflight through start engine and take off it was obvious Jonas had not exaggerated her skills.

I’m glad Kesi’s flying today – I’ve got a lot on my mind – the text from Cindy this morning gave me a lot to think about. Let’s face it: I’m a bit distracted, and that’s never a good thing for a pilot – not that I couldn’t fly this TBM in my sleep because I have so many hours logged but ... As my first IP hammered home again and again, ‘Never get complacent, takeoff to landing, just when everything seems to be going fine, everything will go wrong.’

I sent Cindy a text two weeks ago, once plans had firmed about this trip and held my breath. I was surprised when she responded so quickly, ‘Case, so nice to hear from you. Thanks for the update, I’m glad you’re doing well. Jenny is very excited about visiting Kesi in Austin. Cindy.’

It was more than he expected, but less than he wanted.

Of course, I knew that she wasn’t going to profess her undying love, but I was disappointed there wasn’t more. Why? Because I’m the eternal optimist, and perhaps because I’m stupid...

Then we exchanged a few texts about the schedule for the flights from Sacramento to Austin and return – and after Cindy’s week in Austin, I’ll be taking her back to Sacramento. It was fairly benign stuff until this morning.

‘Case, today’s the day. I’ve been thinking about us the last couple of weeks. I was going to wait until we had a little private time, but decided to tell you before you arrived. The short time we had together – I cherish those memories. I don’t have any expectations, but I would like to spend some time with you while I’m in Austin. Affectionately, Cindy.’

‘I cherish those memories... ‘

He had read her message, and read it again, as memories of those few days washed over him – sharing the porch swing at the Hacienda, sun splashed photos of Cindy against a stucco wall, the long lunch at the Rosewood, shopping, cooking together, holding Cindy’s hand, singing a duet as she looked at him over the microphone at the party on Christmas Eve, the midnight service at St. Anne’s, and the kisses...

Case stopped his musings long enough to check on Kesi and to respond to the radio call from Air Traffic Control to acknowledge handoff and to make contact with the new controller.

“I could do that.”

Case grinned. “I know, but it keeps me from getting bored.”

And even though you use your ‘pilot’s voice’ I don’t want any of those ATC people wondering how old you really are!

Kesi nodded and returned her attention to the front, but not before checking the instruments and the airspace around the aircraft.

Case looked over his shoulder at Anastasia, who was seated in one of the front-facing seats at the rear of the aircraft. She was hunched over her laptop finalizing her presentation to the principals of Cowgirls Inc.

He watched her for a few seconds. She was dressed in linen slacks and a sleeveless peach colored silk top and looking very professional. Her short auburn hair framed her face.

She really is beautiful, but now there’s something more – she’s changed – she’s still driven, but it’s as if her hard edges have been softened.

Perhaps sensing his gaze, she looked up and smiled. He tapped his headset. She nodded, putting on her own.

“You realize, perfection is the enemy of progress.”

“Oh, like flying a plane,” she deadpanned.

He heard a giggle in his headphones and quickly turned to look at Kesi. She was still facing front but a tiny smile gave her away.


Jenny Willets sat in the second row of the Escalade with her mother as they traveled from Lodi to the Sacramento Executive Airport to meet Kesi, Case, and Kesi’s soon to be mom, Anastasia. She was pretty excited.

As usual, Ramón was driving and Valeria was up front with him. Jenny didn’t have to look to know there was a second large SUV following. Ever since Valeria had returned in May, security around her had increased, even though she had overheard Ramón tell Jessica and her mother that the threat from the men who killed Juliet was over. It was just, ‘we’re being cautious.’

She’d last seen Kesi back in May when they’d flown – in a private jet chartered by Mr. Ramirez – to Austin to surprise Valeria for her birthday. Now she was going to spend two weeks with Kesi and her dad and Anastasia. She thought Kesi’s dad was pretty cool and had gotten to know him during the few weeks they’d spent in Lodi visiting Kesi’s grandmother, Anna, last Christmas.

She didn’t know much about Anastasia except that Kesi really liked her. They hadn’t had much time to talk at Valeria’s birthday party in Austin. Anastasia was gorgeous though, like some super model, and even looked fantastic in jeans and a tank top like she wore at the party, but she wasn’t stuck up.

“Anastasia doesn’t treat me like a kid, and while Dad was busy, we went house hunting and she also took time to go with me to check out some nearby schools.” Kesi had described that disaster and how they had found a tutor in one of their neighbors, a retired teacher.

Kesi also told Jenny that Anastasia had been Mr. Reynolds’ girlfriend at one time, but they had split up. Kesi didn’t know why, but she was glad they did since she knew her Dad really loved Anastasia, and Anastasia loved him, and they were getting married in September.

I’m glad they did, too. Seeing Mr. Reynolds with my Mom and how they looked at each other when Mr. Reynolds was visiting, I think it’s like in one of those romantic movies where the characters are destined to be together. I hope so. Kesi’s been keeping me up to date about him, and I know he’s not seeing anyone, and we convinced Mom to go to Austin. I’m so happy that she decided to take a break during this busy summer show season to spend time away with me – and of course get to spend some time with Mr. Reynolds.

La Banda Sage was already scheduled to perform at the Rodeo in Payson, Arizona next week, so Ms. Morgan had to work with the Rodeo promoters about a substitute. After they saw the promo of Essie Sinclair singing with Sofía, they said she could substitute for Mom. I wonder how Mom feels about that!

Essie’s so nice and she’s doing such a great job with the summer riding lessons at the Magdalena school. The girls just love her and her friend, Halley, too. I’m glad they can spare her for a couple of days so she can go with La Banda to Arizona. Essie works so hard she deserves a break. Krista told me she and the rest of La Banda would make sure Essie has a good time!

Jenny’s thoughts were interrupted when Valeria turned and looked at her from the front seat.

“I’m sorry we haven’t had much time to talk since we got back from Spain.”

“That’s okay, I know you’ve been busy.” She grinned. “Checking to see if Luna got everything done on the to-do list I’m sure you left her...”

Jenny saw Ramón nod and caught his smile in the rear-view mirror.

Valeria stuck out her tongue, and then turned to Ramón. “And you keep out of this, too!” Jenny knew she didn’t mean it since it was said with the kind of affection she saw between Jessica and her Dad.

Trying to keep a straight face, Jenny continued. “Anyway, with the number of pictures and texts you sent, I almost feel like I was there with you.”

“I tried to keep everyone up to date. Seville is a wonderful city and the people are so friendly. It was really hot, though.”

“Hotter than Lodi?”

“Seemed about the same.” Valeria brightened. “They had lots of gelato places.”

Jenny smiled. “Yeah, but I’ll take a DQ soft serve anytime over that high-priced Italian stuff.”

Valeria smiled, knowing Jenny’s preference for the soft vanilla ice cream served at the Dairy Queen. On rare occasions she ventured out of her comfort zone and had her vanilla cone dipped in chocolate.

“Your Mom seems nice...” Jenny ventured.

Valeria thought about her response for a few seconds. “Yes, she is, and her husband is very nice too, and treats her well. He’s originally from Argentina and he’s a real estate investor and developer. She manages his office. My sister and brother are nice, too...”

“I was glad to see everyone smiling in the pictures. You seem to get along pretty well.”

Valeria nodded. “There were lots of tears at first ... but Mom and I ... we...”

Valeria took a tissue from her pocket and wiped her eyes.

Jenny waited for more, but nothing was forthcoming. Fighting her emotions, Valeria turned back toward the front. As she did Jenny caught just the hint of a sad smile directed at Ramón who had looked over at her when she pulled out the tissue.

Valeria told me she loves Ramón, and he loves her. Well, duh.

I think the details of the reunion with her mother are for when it’s just the two of us, even though Ramón was there too. I know what it’s like to be separated from your mother and the feelings of sadness and aching loss, and anger, too. After experiencing those emotions, reunions are hard. I think they made up, though, and maybe her mom can come back to Lodi some day and maybe even make up with Mr. Ramirez. He’s a nice man and it must have been terrible to have his daughter leave like that.

I remember the day Mom suddenly reappeared. It was a happy day, but confusing, and it made me sad to see her cry. She’s kept her promise to stay, but it took some time to trust her. I was worried for a long time that she would disappear like before. I know Mom still carries a lot of guilt about the separation. I think she still loves Dad, too. Had Jessica not been on the scene, could they have ever got back together?

No, I’ve been over this before. Just can’t happen, she hurt him too much. I think he was angry mostly about her leaving me and Natalie. Mom burned that bridge, but I’m glad she’s back and she’s got a house and a career and a job on the radio. She seems happy – most of the time – but sometimes I see her when she’s around Dad and Jessica, or Matt and Jo, or even Rashmi and Tom, and she looks sad. She’s pretty good at hiding how she feels, but I want her to be happy and find love again.

Jenny glanced over at her mother, but she was staring out the side window, off in a world of her own.

I know she wants to see Mr. Reynolds and they’ve been texting. A week in Austin with Mr. Reynolds living just across the street from Kesi – I hope that’s enough to show them they belong together. I don’t really want to move to Austin, but if that’s what it takes to make her happy, I’d do it. Kesi’s there and she really likes it, and she’s shown me pictures of Mr. Reynolds’ house and it seems nice. But ... could Mom move with all she has going here? And what would Dad say if Mom wanted to move to Austin, with me?

Jenny shook her head. Not going to happen. Mom’s not going to move anywhere. And she promised that we’d always be together, regardless.

She brightened with all the optimism of a precocious pre-teen. Then, Mom and I will just have to convince Mr. Reynolds to move to Lodi!

Problem solved; her thoughts drifted in a new direction.

Mom worries about me being around Valeria, because of what happened last Christmas. I wish she wouldn’t, but moms are moms. Anyway, that’s not going to change because we’ve been friends since not long after she came to work for Jessica. I didn’t like her at first, but I could tell she was lonely and I could see how hard she worked to help Rashmi and take care of us. Like Rashmi, she became my big sister, and that was really important after Natalie left for Chicago. I still miss Natalie and I miss Rashmi too, although I see her a lot, especially when I go to visit the Moore’s in Red Bluff.

Even with Valeria being almost nine years older we still share secrets, and talk about love and crushes, and the nights when I stay at the Hacienda I pretty much hang out in Valeria’s room. We do homework and talk about girl stuff. Valeria didn’t have a mother to ask questions, so she turned to Jessica, and Doctor Jo, and they all became friends. She told me they were her big sisters, although sometimes I think she sees them as moms too.

Jenny smiled.

I’m glad for Valeria. Having big sisters, you can talk to and hang out with is pretty important, even if one of them is supposed to be your boss!

And she has Ramón too, although she’s always had Ramón. I think we all knew before she did! Valeria seems happy with him. I know she had a crush on Mr. Reynolds when she was in South Carolina, but somehow that changed.

Jenny didn’t want to think about the texts she received from her friend during the early part of her stay in South Carolina. They were very dark, and Jenny very much regretted they were separated. She had deleted those texts and had never shared the contents with anyone, not even her Mom. She just tried to support her friend and listen.

Valeria’s much better now, although I know she’s not over what happened to her and to Juliet. I miss Juliet and every time I go to the Dojo; I look at her picture on the wall and it makes me sad. Valeria still blames herself, but she’s picked up pretty much where she left off, working and studying, although Luna has taken over more and more of her responsibilities at the Hacienda. I like Luna, and I hope she’ll be my next big sister.

These days Valeria is harder than she was – maybe more like she was when she came to work for Jessica and Dad. She tries not to be, but I think it’s because she’s still suffering. She told me she’s seeing Doctor Jo, even though Doctor Jo isn’t a psychiatrist any longer. I don’t think Valeria would be willing to talk to anyone else, and Doctor Jo is family. I’m glad Valeria is doing that. She tells me the nightmares are less frequent now, but I know she still has them – I’ve had to wake her a few times.

Ramón knows too, and I’m glad he gives her lots of hugs. When they’re outside she’s always holding his arm, or she has her arm around his waist. He’s always vigilant and I think she’s just happy to let him be, while she can relax and not be afraid.

She doesn’t smile as much as before and in town, she’s just Valeria Ramirez – still getting things done and people pay attention – but at this point most people don’t think of her as Valeria, the daughter of Mr. Ramirez. I think that’s a good thing, mostly...


Cindy McCabe stared out the side window of the Escalade. Her eyes hardly registered the summer scenery of California’s north Central Valley as the SUV made its way toward the airport.

Conversation between the other occupants simply flowed around her without registering on her consciousness. She barely noticed as Valeria and Jenny had a brief conversation about her recent trip to Spain.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close