A Lodi Christmas - Cover

A Lodi Christmas

Copyright© 2019 by AA Nemo

Chapter 16

It’s the wrong time and the wrong place
Though your face is charming, it’s the wrong face
It’s not her face, but such a charming face
That it’s all right with me

Cole Porter


Anastasia approached the open door to Case’s office.

Laughing? Yes, that’s Case’s laugh. I’m so glad to hear him. Thankfully, over the last six months, those times have become more frequent. I know he still grieves for Juliet, but more and more I see the old Case Reynolds – smiling, telling a joke, hanging out with the new pilots – the ones he calls ‘the kids.’ His sense of humor has returned along with his interest in life – yes, life. When he returned from South Carolina in January I worried – we all worried because he did nothing but work. That definitely made Case a dull boy.

There’s a woman in his office who’s laughing, too, and it doesn’t sound like his assistant either. I’ve heard Nadine laugh, but never around Case. She has a wonderful sense of humor, but with Case she’s ever so serious. She’s young and this is her first full-time job, but she needs to lighten up. So, who is it?

She stopped in the doorway. There were three people at the conference table, Case, Nadine, and a striking young woman who seemed maybe mid-twenties. She had luminous black hair, cut short.

Pixie cut – with that color it seems a shame. It should be long and flowing, but it does look good with her angular face and high cheekbones. On second thought, there’s a maturity about her that says a little older – late twenties?

It was obvious the unknown woman was telling aviation stories, using her hands to mimic aircraft – something she’d seen Jonas and Case do many times.

“And another time I watched a student lose it at the edge of the landing threshold. The IP barely had enough time to take the controls and recover.” She slapped her hand on the table. “They were lucky those T-6s are built rugged. Most other aircraft would have had some undercarriage damage at a minimum.

“All the IPs were glad that little episode was the last for that student. He was dangerous. Later I talked to the IP and he was pretty shaken. He said at first the student seemed to be okay and it was a momentary lapse on his part and things went downhill fast...”

She gave Case a knowing smile. “Things can go to hell in a real hurry while flying, especially with a student at the controls.”

He’s quick to smile around this woman and she can make him laugh. There’s a familiarity that says they have some history.

Turning serious, she continued, “We all think we’d have reacted sooner, but sometimes, especially at the end of the day, or the week, well ... you just get tired – that, combined with an overconfident but substandard student, can be a recipe for disaster. I hope I would have had the presence of mind to take the controls a lot sooner.”

She grinned. “Or maybe just said to hell with it and tested the ejection seat!”

Case laughed and even Nadine gave an uncertain smile.

“Lisette, someday over a beer I’ll tell you about teaching Afghani pilots to fly.”

Lisette, huh?

The dark-haired woman that Anastasia now knew as ‘Lisette’ put on a look of mock horror, and raised her hands. “Please, no. I have enough nightmares, without adding teaching a class of foreign students, especially with limited English skills!”

Case indulged her with a smile. “For the most part the Afghanis were damn good pilots – they were motivated. Of course, some were there because of political connections, but those guys quickly shaped up or washed out.”

“And then you got deployed with them.”

He nodded. “I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything.”

She examined him for a few moments. “Despite how things turned out?”

Anastasia held her breath waiting for Case’s response. She knew he didn’t like to talk about the war or how he got his wounds.

She was surprised when he responded mildly, although there was a hint of sadness in his eyes. “Despite how things turned out.” He paused, considering his words. “I was flying day and night close air support – doing what I considered real Air Force stuff – dropping bombs on bad guys – with a bunch of dedicated guys. Most of them could have sat it out someplace safe, but they believed in their country ... and some paid the price...” He paused again, his emotions close to the surface.

“Sure, I never got to jet fighter school, and the Air Force said I couldn’t fly any longer, but as they say, ‘life is what happens, while you’re busy making other plans.’

“Now, I’m again surrounded by people who are dedicated and hard-working.” He paused again and this time he smiled slightly; the sadness masked. “I do have to admit the living and working conditions are a whole lot better ... and safer.”

Yes, some history there. He must know this Lisette pretty well to allow her to ask that question and to respond as he did.

All three at the table sat quietly for a few moments. Finally, Lisette said, “I saw you in Afghanistan one time.”

Case looked surprised.

“I was dropping supplies at some hell-hole with a gravel strip – hated those places – my Herc would get all dusty.”

That got the expected chuckle from Case.

“Anyway, ground control had us hold on what passed for a taxiway, and as I was wondering what the hell was going on, I saw you. You came racing out of some decrepit concrete building with sandbags in the windows with four or five other guys. I recognized you before you got your helmet on.”

She smiled at the memory.

“Pretty hard to miss the tallest guy in the place. Anyway, you got into one of the most badass planes I’d ever seen, painted an all over gray with so much ordnance slung under it I wondered if it could take off. Then, without even a pause between taxiway and runway, off you went. Too bad the Herc doesn’t come with a horn – I would have honked and waved!”

They both laughed.

“So, from a Herky Bird to training command...”

She sat up straight and gave a parade-ground salute. “Yes, Sir. Our Mission is to recruit, train and educate Airmen to deliver air power for America!”

He shook his head as they both grinned.

“And the real story is?”

She didn’t hesitate. “Millennials learning to fly, taught by prematurely gray instructors.”

“And now you’re thoroughly sick of it.” It was a statement, not a question.

Her faint smile belied the seriousness of her answer. “Oh, am I ever.”

Nadine finally noticed Anastasia in the doorway and the petite Latina sprang to her feet. As Anastasia retreated to the outer office – Nadine’s domain – she followed. “Ms. Walsh, sorry I didn’t see you. Is there anything I can do for you?”

Yes, Nadine, you can relax and call me Anastasia, but I know that’s not going to happen since you’re part of Mrs. Delgado’s brood. Since she has you trained to her standards, I should just go along with it. I can’t even get my own assistant to call me Anastasia.

“Thanks, Nadine, just let me know when Mr. Reynolds is finished. I need a few minutes.”

At that point, Case called from his office, “Anastasia, we’re about done. Come on in.”

When she returned to his office Case and Lisette were standing – she smiling, as she made some flirtatious moves – touching his forearm with one hand and brushing her bangs from her eyes with the other.

Obviously, friends, although someone Case never mentioned. Close friends? Apparently, since Case doesn’t seem to mind at all that she’s well into his personal space. She’s tall and that gray suit fits her slim frame perfectly. It may not be bespoke but it’s certainly from some high-end boutique. Those pumps aren’t from the sale rack either. Her money? Family money?

He grinned, “Anastasia Walsh, let me introduce Lisette Oropesa. Actually, it’s Captain Oropesa, US Air Force.”

He turned to Lisette. “Anastasia is our CFO.”

Anastasia stepped forward and extended her hand. ‘Captain Oropesa’ seemed reluctant to move from Case’s side.

“Nice to meet you, Captain.”

“Nice to meet you, Ms. Walsh, and please call me Lisette. I hope to be working with you very soon.”

Oh?

The two women sized each other up as women are wont to do, especially in the presence of an attractive single man – both wondering what the other’s relationship is to that man. Since she didn’t have any meetings today, Anastasia was dressed casually in skinny jeans, silk blouse and flats. Her auburn hair was pulled back in a short ponytail. Regardless, she knew that discerning proprietors from Milan to New York to Dallas would take one look and welcome her into their boutiques.

Anastasia noticed Lisette’s examination pause at the engagement ring on her left hand.

Why am I upset that this woman is practically drooling over Case? It’s not like I have any skin in the game any longer ... but he is my friend...

Anastasia damped her competitive nature and gave her a slight smile. “I guess from the hand gestures I saw earlier that you’re a pilot.”

“That’s right,” she responded, wearing the same insincere smile as Anastasia.

Oblivious to the dynamics going on in front of his nose, Case interjected, “Lisette was in my class at the Academy. She flew C-130s in Afghanistan, and now, I’m sure, because of her pleasant personality, even temper, and her well-known ability to suffer fools, she’s been assigned to the training command over at Laughlin, teaching young intrepid birdmen...”

She chuckled at Case’s obvious tongue in cheek description, before adding, “And women.”

“Oh, right, ‘and women,’ how to fly.”

Maybe this woman is okay after all. Any friend of Case ... well, maybe, but Case’s description sounds like me!

“More like how not to kill themselves and cost the government a multimillion-dollar airplane.” She smiled. “And more importantly not to kill me!”

This time Anastasia’s smile was genuine. “And you knew Case at the Academy?”

Lisette took her time giving the lanky South Carolinian an obvious look and then winked at Anastasia. “Well, he is pretty hard to miss...”

That caused Anastasia to chuckle and nod. She looked at Case. “I’d like to hear more about that.”

“No, no you wouldn’t,” he interjected, trying very hard to keep a straight face.

Anastasia and Lisette both laughed, and then Anastasia added, “We’ll have to have lunch.”

“Definitely!”

Realizing Anastasia had business to take care of with Case, Lisette said her farewells to both and said, “Case, I’ll see you in the morning.”

Morning?

As she reached the door Case called after her. “Lisette, are you still in touch with Elina?”

She turned, her smile now replaced by a neutral expression. “Yes...”

Disappointment, yes. Whatever happened between Case and this Elina person, Lisette is not happy you brought it up, Case. Guys are so clueless.

“Is she still flying C-17s out of Ramstein?”

“No, actually, she’s been selected for the astronaut program. She’s just down the road at the Johnson Space Center. I saw her a few weeks ago.”

Lisette looked at him for a few seconds, obviously making a decision. “She was pretty worried when she found out you were hurt in Afghanistan. Unfortunately, by the time she found out, you’d already been released from Walter Reed and the Air Force ... and disappeared into the civilian world.”

She paused, giving some thought to what she would say next. “She’s still single, by the way. You should give her a call. I’m sure she’d be happy to hear from you. I’ve got her number if you want it.”

Case considered that for a few seconds. He shook his head, smiling slightly. “Thanks anyway. That was a long time ago.”

The smile is back. Right response, Case – at least for Captain Lisette!

Anastasia watched the young woman as she left the office. When she turned back, Case was seated at his desk staring at the ceiling.

She sat in the chair in front of his desk and waited.

Finally, he came back from wherever he was and looked at her. She tried to keep her expression neutral, but she was dying to know who this ‘Elina’ was.

“You can tell me to mind my own business, but Elina?”

He studied her for a moment, considering what to tell her.

“She was a classmate at the Academy and Lisette was ... I guess still is, her best friend. The summer before our last year at the Academy, Elina and I were stationed at McChord Air Base in Washington. Somehow we became more than friends – it just happened.”

He paused, examining his hands, and then continued, “Long-distance relationships are tough in the best of circumstances and it’s even tougher if you’re both in the military. After we graduated from basic flight training, she and Lisette went off to multiengine school and ... well, you know where I went.

“We had an amicable parting, at least as far as those things go...”

“And you’ve never been in touch since?”

“Not much reason to.”

“And now you have a job and a house in Austin and Elina’s just 150 miles away in Houston and is probably going to be there a few years?”

“Something to think about.”

He never told me about Elina, but from his reaction to her name it must have been more than friends with benefits.

After a pause, she asked, “And Lisette?”

“Huh? Oh yeah. She’s getting out of the Air Force and looking for a job. She responded to our on-line ad and called Irene Delgado, who’s riding herd on pilot recruitment. She told me that when Irene told her the appointment was with ‘Mr. Reynolds,’ she didn’t really think much about it. Of course, as soon as Irene told me I had an appointment with a ‘Captain Oropesa’ I figured it was Lisette.”

He grinned. “You should have seen the look on her face when she walked into my office.”

“I would say it seemed a pleasant reunion for both of you.”

Case looked thoughtful. “Yes, yes, it was. Lisette was also a good friend. It’s too bad we lost touch after the breakup with Elina, but that’s kind of how those things go...”

Case, she definitely wants to be friends again, or maybe more.

After a few moments he went on. “She’s got lots of hours in the Air Force primary trainer, the T-6. It’s a single engine turboprop and is basically the same Pratt-Whitney Canada engine we have in the TBM, with fewer horsepower.”

“Okay, but we’ve already filled Air-Bytes’ pilot slots, and have a waiting list of qualified people, unless she’s willing to be an on-call back-up.”

He shook his head. “I want to hire her for Aero Services Austin.”

Anastasia considered that for a few moments. “We only have three airplanes and no firm contracts yet, and in a matter of weeks, Jeff and Rachel will leave Air-Bytes and come over to ASA, so what do we need her for?”

“The TLS contract.”

Anastasia looked puzzled.

“I know you and Noah have been putting a proposal together for ASA to provide a charter to fly their technicians all over the country to install and service the chip making machines they build.”

She nodded.

“Well, how about having ASA contract with them for a full-time plane and pilot to be at their disposal 24/7?”

“Yes, but...”

“Anastasia, I would bet that Jeff and Rachel would pass on that job, even though TLS is right here in Austin. They’re about to have their second child, they don’t need the money, and they’ve been apart long enough with the original Air-Bytes’ crazy schedule. I think TLS would jump at the chance to be able to respond to their customers and be in the air within an hour – maybe less – of getting a call. And if they have another call while Lisette is delivering the first tech, or techs, then Jeff could fill in.”

Anastasia gave a thoughtful nod. “You’re right about Jeff and Rachel, and we’ve heard TLS is awash with money right now so they should be able to afford an exclusive charter. I’ll work up the numbers and talk to Noah and we’ll set up a meeting.”

“Thanks. Tomorrow I’m taking Lisette on a familiarization flight in one of ASA’s TBMs. I’ll fill her in on the ASA business model and about the need for a pilot because of a possible charter deal with TLS. If she’s interested, then I’ll try to pin her down about how soon she would be available to join ASA. I expect we’ll have to come close to her current salary, though.”

He looked out the window for a few seconds. “I’ve been out of the loop for a couple of years but I expect with her base pay, allowances, and flight pay, we’re going to have to offer more than $100,000. She’ll be giving up some pretty nice pilot retention bonuses, too.”

Anastasia nodded. “But I did get the feeling that she wants out. I suppose she could go to the airlines.”

Case shook his head. “Lisette doesn’t want to trade one bureaucracy for another, and she may have seen the handwriting on the wall as far as advancement in the Air Force. She, like me, loves to fly but is not a politician. She speaks her mind and doesn’t suffer fools.”

“In many occupations, that does tend to limit one’s options,” she said dryly.

He nodded and smiled. “And if I’m not mistaken, her parents and some siblings live near San Antonio, so being close to them would be a bonus.”

It was Anastasia’s turn to stare out the window for a few seconds. Finally, she said, “I’m thinking with an exclusive contract with TLS, I’ll be able to build in a fairly hefty salary, and from my research, I think they’ll jump at the idea of their own plane and pilot 24/7.”

“While you’re at it, consider how much extra you’d have to build in if we lease a new TBM to service their contract? Our three planes have a lot of hours and if TLS becomes ASA’s launch customer, I think it’s prudent.”

Anastasia thought about that. “You’re right.” Then she laughed. “Those tech nerds will think they’ve died and gone to heaven if they get a new TBM, and it’s flown by the stunning Captain Oropesa!”

I was right. She’s like me in many ways. I know I made the right choice to decline the offers from the big law firms, and hitch my wagon to Air-Bytes and now ASA. At first it was just a diversion, a way-station to gain some experience, then with the help of Case and Cassandra and the other folks at Air-Bytes, it became a passion – not just a way to declare my independence from my mother...

And without Air-Bytes, maybe I’d have never grown up – certainly never had the heartbreak of watching Case walk away from me, she noted ruefully.

Those thoughts were dispelled when she thought about her impending nuptials. Without Air-Bytes I’d have never met Jonas and Kesi. In a few weeks, I’ll be married to Jonas and mom to Kesi – a mom! I’m already filling that role in many ways and we’ve already discussed adoption.

“Anastasia?”

“Sorry, lots of things to consider.”

He nodded. They were both lost in thought for a few moments, Finally Anastasia asked, “Do you remember the day we met?”

“Vividly. Why?”

Vividly?

“Oh, I was just thinking about how fortunate I was to have stumbled into Air-Bytes.”

“Stumbled? Not hardly. More like a warrior goddess descending from the sky and striding onto a battlefield!”

Warrior goddess? Humm.

“You walked through the access door next to the main doors, the sun at your back illuminating you. Your hair was longer and wasn’t tied back and the wind had blown it so it made kind of a coppery halo around your face – a Valkyrie look if I ever saw one.”

She smiled at the imagery.

“And as you got closer – striding like you do, exuding confidence with every step, wearing a navy pin-stripe power suit under an open trench coat, your high heels clicking on the concrete, I wondered how this tall titian-haired Nordic vision had come to be in our dirty drafty hangar at that particular moment.”

Titian-haired Nordic vision? He really thought that? I like it, though.

Joining in the word play Anastasia commented cheekily, “‘Titian-haired Celtic vision.’”

Case laughed. “Hey, whose fantasy are we talking about here, and remember at the time I had no idea you were a Celtic lass! Anyway, watching you stride into the hangar like you owned the place, it’s no wonder the lyrics from Ride of the Valkyries started in my head...”

He started humming one of Wagner’s best-known operatic melodies.

Anastasia laughed. “You didn’t.”

“Cross my heart.”

She looked down at her tall slender body. “I don’t think I have the physique to be a Valkyrie, at least an operatic one, and certainly not the wardrobe!”

It was Case’s turn to laugh as he made a show of examining her closely. “I wouldn’t be so sure.”

She flushed, suddenly remembering the last time with Case.

“And what if I’d decided to take you to Valhalla?” she asked with a gleam in her eye.

He looked at her for a few heartbeats. Suddenly serious he said, “I’ve been close to that door a couple of times – for you I’d have gone willingly.”

Each lost in thought, they were silent again, and then Case turned and looked out the window.

“The day you arrived, Air-Bytes, which at that point, was Cassandra, Pamela, Jeff, Rachel, Irene Delgado and me, had just taken possession of the hangar and we were having a strategy meeting. Oh, and Dillon Chandler was there, too.” He grinned. “Anywhere Pamela is...”

I remember. They were sitting around a couple of the battered picnic tables the former tenant left behind.

“We didn’t even have any airplanes yet, and certainly no customers. So, we were in that hangar bundled against the cold with flip charts, a couple of white-boards, and portable heaters, trying to work out how we would attract more investors and get our charter customers. Cassandra and Rachel were getting ready to leave for Boise and Seattle to talk to Micron and Microsoft.

“Our only salaried employee, Irene, was taking notes on her laptop.”

He looked back at her as she nodded, remembering the scene.

“And then you announced that you’d heard Air-Bytes was looking for investors, and you were here to check us out.”

“I did, didn’t I?”

“Yup, and after introductions you encouraged us to continue with our brainstorming session. And then you sat next to me on that hard bench. You were so close I could smell the wonderful scent you wear. By the way, why did you sit next to me?”

She laughed. “Well, there were three good-looking men there, and it was obvious that Jeff and Dillon were taken, so...”

He just shook his head and tried to hide a smile as he asked, “Third choice, huh?”

Anastasia laughed. “Actually, first choice.”

“Compared to those two guys, I’m flattered.”

“You should be!”

He grinned.

They had weathered the storm of their breakup. Over the months, unlike many former couples, they had discovered they could be friends – the kind of friendship that allowed them the freedom to engage in this kind of easy banter.

“And then after about thirty minutes you took over the meeting.”

“Well, someone had to. You guys were going around in circles.”

“And before we knew it, we had a new investor and a CFO.”

“I missed my flight back to Dallas, and I’m glad I did.”

Case gave her a long look. “You know, I never asked how you even found out about us.”

She thought about her answer for a few seconds. “I was fresh out of law school and already had an MBA. I couldn’t put off getting a job any longer, so I was interviewing with a high-powered firm in Austin...”

“And?”

“The interview was a disaster. They really didn’t have a meaningful job for me, but those bozos wanted some eye candy. I should have known from the secretaries around the place – all attractive, short skirts and heels.”

“Sounds like my kind of place.”

She made a face. “Right. Anyway, when I was at lunch one of the partners was bragging about his investment acumen and saying how he had turned down investing in a start-up called Air-Bytes. He was quite derisive about the whole idea. Later I heard from Cassandra that it was Pamela who made the pitch and the guy had been pretty blatant about the quid-pro-quo he expected from her in exchange for his support.”

She smiled. “I don’t think she ever told Dillon about that, otherwise Dillon might have had to have a word with the man!”

“The guy doesn’t know how lucky he is...”

“Indeed, and what’s particularly satisfying is that I ran into him recently and thanked him for the tip about Air-Bytes, and just happened to mention the Duncan buyout. You should have seen his face!”

Case chuckled. “The best revenge, especially from the ‘eye candy.’ And from a lunch conversation, you decided to track us down?”

“I was looking for something to do with all that expensive education I’d just completed – something that was a challenge and was not part of some giant multi-national law firm that only hired women to burnish their image and fill some kind of quota.”

“But how?”

“Did I find you?”

He nodded.

“Well the guy at the law firm also mentioned that you were leasing hangar space on the general aviation side of Bergstrom International, so after I terminated the interview – you’d have been proud of me how I kept my temper – I had some time to kill so I took a cab from the main terminal and the rest is history.”

“And their loss was Air-Bytes’ great good fortune,”

Suddenly serious, Anastasia replied, “And mine, too.”


“Mr. Reynolds, is there anything else before I leave?”

He glanced at the clock over the door. “Nadine, it’s after six, get out of here.” His smile told her he was teasing and caused her worried look to evaporate.

She looked at Anastasia. “Anything for you, Ms. Walsh?”

“No, but thank you, Nadine.”

As Nadine departed, Case turned his attention back to Anastasia. “We kind of got off track. What did you want to see me about?”

Occasionally, Case still felt a pang of regret at the failure of their relationship.

Nobody’s fault, just two people with different dreams and expectations. I keep telling myself that it’s fortunate we discovered that before we made a long-term commitment. I’m just sorry it ended like it did, but I’m happy we’ve put that aside and become friends, and I’m genuinely happy Anastasia has Jonas and Kesi now.

It was wonderful seeing Lisette. We had some fun times together - the three of us at the Academy and then flight training. I wonder what Elina would say if I did contact her? I was attracted to her from the day I spotted her at in-processing. And the feeling seemed mutual. And Lisette was always along. Not that I minded being friends with two smart, energetic, and let’s face it, beautiful women. I was the envy of more than one cadet, even though we tried to keep it pretty low-key. The Academy really wasn’t the place for more than friendship, until that summer between our third and final years there.

He smiled at the thought of those less complicated days.

And what will happen when Elina finds out I’m in Austin – because there is no doubt that sooner or later Lisette will let her know, especially if she comes to work for ASA. And then what?

“Case?”

“Huh?”

Anastasia smiled. “Now you’re doing it. We’re a fine pair this evening.”

“Sorry, it’s been a long day.”

“Tell me about it.”

“Coffee?” He pointed toward the Keurig on a low table in the corner.

“No, but thanks anyway. I’m coffeed out for today.”

“I’ve also got some herbal teas.”

She shook her head.

“I’m surprised you’re still hanging around. I know Jonas is off doing something in D.C., but usually Kesi has dragged you out by now.”

“Kesi and Mrs. Faure are off to see the Pirates of Penzance.“ She gave a mock pout. “I was not invited.”

Her humor evaporated when she continued. “He’s been summoned to the Pentagon – something about a briefing for some generals because of continuing problems in East Africa.” She sighed. “I thought he was done with all that...”

I did too.

He reached across the table and covered her hand. “Anastasia, Jonas is a subject matter expert. Guys like me who spent all their time in Afghanistan are a dime a dozen. Jonas spent over five years doing what amounts to combat ops in East Africa and he’s one of a kind.”

She nodded, frowning. “But what if they want to send him back there?”

Case tried to alleviate her concerns with an old joke. “Jonas told me that if the military ever tried to get him back in uniform, there would be three people going – Jonas and two MPs!”

This caused Anastasia to smile slightly.

That’s better. I’m glad we’re still friends and I can make her smile.

Case noticed his hand covering hers, and quickly removed it. She looked at him and then looked toward the windows with a faraway look.

Are you remembering those times too, Anastasia?

They were lost in thought again, and finally Case spoke. “What did you want to see me about? I’m sure there’s nothing that can’t wait until tomorrow.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close