The Inheritance - Cover

The Inheritance

Copyright© 2018 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 12

Paul led me into the standard interview room. Complete to the two-way mirror on the wall. He had me sit facing the mirror. It was so clichéd I almost started to laugh. Before I could ask Paul, what was going on, the door crashed open. In stepped the very image of J. Edgar’s idea of an FBI agent. Short brush cut hair, Black suit, skinny black tie and a blindingly white shirt. I was sure that, if I looked, I would see my reflection in his shoes from 2 yards away. Following behind was an older and more rumpled version. I could see the grey at his temples. He also had a slight grin, his eyes crinkled with amusement.

“Officer,” the younger one barked, “why isn’t the prisoner restrained?”

Stunned, Paul answered “Mr. Reynolds isn’t under arrest. And up to this point has been cooperative. I saw no point...”

Before Paul could finish, the young agent interrupted, “I’ll be the judge of that. It’s too late now.” he looked me up and down. “But I’m sure I can handle any outbursts. You are dismissed.” I saw the flash of anger cross Paul ‘s face. I also noticed the older agent’s grin fade.

As Paul was leaving, the young agent slammed a pile of folders on the desk and sat down. The older guy pulled his chair back and turned it so that he could watch both of us. The younger agent just glared at me. For my part I just stared back.

I could feel the anger radiating off of him. After a minute or two I sat back in my chair, eased my legs out and got comfortable. Or at least as much as I could in that chair. I never took my eyes off his. When he realized that he wasn’t intimidating me, he started talking. “So, Reynolds, why did you try to kill Mr. Wilcox?”

I chuckled, “Well now, sonny, that’s a closed statement. It’s way too early for those. You should be trying to make nice, nice with me.”

The older guy’s eyes snapped over to me and narrowed slightly. Then back to youngster.

Slamming his hand on the desk, “Answer my question, Reynolds. Why did you attempt to kill Mr. Wilcox?”

“Ok, I get it. You’re setting me up for a little good cop, bad cop. Get me all scared of you. Then your partner, over there, tells you to take a break.” I thought I might have scored a point with that one. The youngsters head jerked a little. For his part, the older guy just kept smiling.

Junior paused for a moment. It looked like he was trying to calm down. “Look Reynolds, we know what happened. We have Mr. Wilcox’s statement, the doctor’s report on his condition, and how his injuries occurred. We even have the local police report, such as it is. Make it easier on yourself and confess.”

I continued to grin at junior. “I see. You’ve now switched to the full knowledge mode. I’m guessing that you’re going to move to offering me a deal next.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close