The Inheritance - Cover

The Inheritance

Copyright© 2018 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 7

I had originally thought that Jake might have a one room log cabin. Or even some kind of prefab shed or trailer. A summer get away type place. What I was looking at was a 2 story, rock-built house. This thing had to be at least 2000 square feet. A 5-foot-wide, covered porch went around 3 sides. The backside butted up against a 40-foot cliff. In front of the door was a hitching rail and water trough with a pump to one side. After staring for 5 minutes, Margarite started shuffling around. That broke my concentration.

As we walked towards the cabin, I took in the rest of Jake’s spread. Off to the left was a barn, also made of stone. Along with a fenced corral. In between it and the house was an outhouse. Complete to the moon cutout in the door.

When I got to the hitching rail, I tied off Margarite and Jughead. Then unloaded everything onto the porch. I stood there for a couple of minutes, taking stock of the situation. I decided that my first action should be getting the animals taken care of.

When I checked out the corral, I could see that the fence was in good shape. As I walked around, I couldn’t see anything noxious growing. Satisfied, I led Margarite and Jughead over and set them loose. While I was checking the corral, Shadow was doing his own inspection. It seemed like he wetted down every post and tree he could find.

Next was the barn. Inside were stalls for 6 animals. 3 to a side. I also noticed that the hayloft was full. I paused for a moment. This was set up for a working farm, but where were the animals? Jake’s will, and everybody I’d talked to, hadn’t mentioned any. At the back was a tack room. At least it was set up for it. But there wasn’t anything there.

Finally, I got around to the house. As I walked up, I could see that all the windows were shuttered with heavy wooden shutters. When I got to the door, it also was wood. As I looked closer, I could see where someone had taken an ax to it. I looked closer. Inside I could see a steel plate. This wasn’t a door, it was a vault. I also found out it was locked. Now I had a real problem. When I signed the papers with the shyster in Butte he didn’t mention, and I neglected to ask about keys. As I looked closer, I couldn’t even find a keyhole. I looked over that door for a good 30 minutes. If there was a way in, I couldn’t find it.

I sat down on the porch and considered my situation. I wasn’t overly concerned about shelter. If needed, I’d just bed down in the hayloft. For dinner, I’d just build up a fire and practice my camp cooking. But getting that door open was going to require at least a cutting torch, if not explosives. Either that or I needed to figure this puzzle out.

While I was contemplating my next move, I noticed 2 things about that door. Number 1 was the doorbell. Now what in the hell would a mountain cabin, even a fancy one like this need with a doorbell. There wasn’t any electricity.

Next was the sign hanging above the bell. “Jake’s Place” made of wood and hanging from 3 eyehooks. I got up and looked closer at the sign. 2 hooks were enough to hang it. But 3 was overkill. I checked the center bolt, it pulled loose and surprise, a key.

But what good is a key without a keyhole. Again, my suspicion about the doorbell was raised. Pushing the button did nothing. But when I twisted it there was the keyhole. I then put 2 and 2 together and I was in.

Before I could get the door opened wide enough for me, Shadow bolted inside. I couldn’t blame him, that’s what he was trained to do. After about 10 minutes he came back out and sat down next to me. He looked up at me as if to say, “Well, what are you waiting for?”

With the sun fast setting, I pulled out my flashlight and stepped inside. I could see that I was in the main room of the house. Directly in front was a fireplace and furniture. To the right was a wide stairwell. To the left was what appeared to be a dining room. I also noticed a table next to the door. On it was an old-fashioned kerosene lantern. Lighting the lantern, I took a closer look around. Obviously, I was in the great room. The furniture in the room was handmade. And very well made at that. The fireplace was big, but the mantle was huge. A good 10 feet wide and 6 feet high. Under the stairwell was a large desk.

Turning towards the dining room, was a large table and chairs. Large enough for 8 people. I could see a doorway leading off to what I assumed was the kitchen. As it was getting too late for any kind of detailed inspection, I carried all of my gear into the cabin and secured the door. I set a fire in the fireplace and started cooking dinner.

After dinner, as I was cleaning my tack, I considered the situation. It was obvious that Jake could not have built this place on his own. As a matter of fact, I don’t think that a full crew could get this place built in less than 2 years. Then the furniture showed a level of expertise that I knew Jake didn’t have. I also knew that Jake didn’t have the money to buy this place. It would have brought a cool million, even in a depressed Market. The only thing that I could figure is that Jake must have inherited it. Either from a relative or, like me, from a very good friend. With the fire burning down, I laid out my bedroll on the couch and fell asleep.

The next morning, I got up and started my coffee. After visiting the outhouse, I decided that the place needed a good airing out. At the same time, I could do a more complete inspection of the house. After opening the shutters in the great room and dining room, I decided to do the same upstairs. Upstairs I found 3 bedrooms. There were 2 guest rooms with queen sized beds. Everything in those rooms was covered in sheets. Obviously, Jake didn’t get visitors very often. The master bedroom, however, was set up.

After checking things out upstairs, I headed back downstairs. I started checking out the desk in the great room. As I sat down, I noticed a Letter addressed to me in the top drawer. Opening it I found a letter from Jake.

Dear Matt

I know you’re not too fond of cliché’s, Matt. But in this case, it works. If you’re reading this, I’m dead. But you already know that.

I guess you’re wondering about this little place of mine. Well that’s a long story, and I’ve got plenty of time to tell it.

My great-great-grandfather fought in the civil war and the later Indian wars. When they retired him from the cavalry, he came here, with my great-great-grandmother Grace, to put down roots. He had found this place while chasing after Chief Joseph.

They started out with a log cabin, but after the first winter’s cold, decided that they needed something more substantial. That’s when the old man started work on this cabin. Over the generations, we’ve built onto the place until it’s what it is today.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close