A Justice Provider's Tale
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

The Gulliver freighter had not returned to space, mainly due to the fact that the ship master had been arrested for accepting a bribe to transport a wanted criminal off planet. While it was technically not illegal to provide transport to Shiss, as there were no open hostilities, having armed members of a civilization considered unfriendly aboard and circumvent planet controls, was a criminal act, he and his crew would have to answer quite a few questions for certain.

Riding a police cruiser I had returned to Blisterbahl Green. I was told they would take care of my Monoflash and after a shower and using the services of a Police station auto dresser. I found myself once again in the Captain’s office. He also had changed and once more was wearing an immaculate clean and damage free uniform. The Petharian handed me a mug of coffee, ensured me that it was Terran style and for human consumption and then motioned to Leeza to fill in the blanks for me The Ebony Elfin forensic police scientist smiled at me and held up her official police PDD. “This is GalNet linked and will verify my identity and authority. There are no means known to Union science that can be used to fake or alter such a verified ID.”

A melodic voice chirped. CITI scan complete. Heronn, Leeza, Union citizen. Union police lieutenant and science officer, Blisterbahl-Green 988th precinct. Status: active.”

She held it before the Petharian and the voice spoke. Pulzier, Craak. Union Citizen. Union Police Captain, Blisterbahl-Green commandant 988th precinct. Status active”

She motioned me to remain quiet and held it against me. “Marifou, Angel T. Union Citizen. Private Fugitive Retriever and investigator, licensed. Gore II. Status: Active”

She still held the device and said. “You can do the same thing with any PDD. A police PDD of course will give more detailed results if needed. The data of your CITI must be the same as the data stored at CITIZEN BASE and three other back up data bases. Changes to these data bases can only be made by Union court order and three different, independent Data specialists.

I kept listening because she seemed to make a point with that demonstration.

She explained. “This system works remarkably well and no case of a successful forged CITI has yet to be reported.”

Still I didn’t want to interrupt.

She acknowledged this with a nod and continued. “No access to a real CITI has always been the best deterrent against spies and foreign agents.”

She didn’t pause long enough for me to comment. “While a CITI can’t be faked as you know. A genuine one however could be issued to anyone with unrestricted access to a CITI machine.”

“But I always thought, that even the theft of a machine would not be enough to create a citizen identification tag implant?”

“And right you are.” She agreed, “You need the machine, the proper registered location and two authorized operators.”

I nodded. “Yes, because these machines know where they are and become inoperable if removed. So what has all this to do with the corrupt sheriff and more so with me and the dead Andorian?”

A new person entered the room just as I was asking this question and the chrome skinned man in civilian clothing, but with the unmistakable air of a military spook and with an exposed and activated ID badge identifying him as Counter Intelligence officer.” I can answer these questions, Mr. Marifou and because you performed a great service to the security and welfare of the United Stars of the Galaxies, you more than earned the right to know details about a still active and classified investigation, I am Special Agent Harrington of NAVINT.”

“That would be greatly appreciated, Mr. Harrington. I hate loose ends and this affair has more than a few.”

“Sodiban Renow, was framed Mr. Marifou. Carl Sunders, the heir of a very old, renowned ore trading business was near bankruptcy, when it was rescued so to speak by the ′Invisible Color’, as the Shiss secret service is called.

A great intelligence asset indeed. An old business with contacts all across the Union and with freighters that, as ore freighters do, lumber along in slow pace, but usually completely unchecked. Especially if they do indeed haul ore and minerals while their true freight of information and intelligence assets remains undetected.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close