Affair in Araby
Chapter XII

Public Domain

“Start something before they’re ready for it!”

Just before the train started, a handsome fellow with short black beard trimmed into a point and wearing a well-cut European blue serge suit, but none the less obviously an Arab, came to the door of our compartment and stared steadily at Grim. He stood like a fighting man, as if every muscle of his body was under command, and the suggestion was strengthened by what might be a bullet scar over one eye.

If that fellow had asked me for a loan on the spot, or for help against his enemies, he would have received both or either. Moreover, if he had never paid me back I would still believe in him, and would bet on him again.

However, after one swift glance at him, Grim took no notice until the train was under way--not even then in fact, until the man in blue serge spoke first.

“Oh, Jimgrim!” he said suddenly in a voice like a tenor bell.

“Come in, Hadad,” Grim answered, hardly glancing at him. “Make yourself at home.”

He tossed a valise into the rack, and I gave up the corner seat so that he might sit facing Grim, he acknowledging the courtesy with a smile like the whicker of a sword-blade, wasting no time on foolish protest. He knew what he wanted--knew enough to take it when invited--understood me, and expected me to understand him--a first-class fellow. He sat leaning a little forward, his back not touching the cushion, with the palms of both hands resting on his knees and strong fingers motionless. He eyed Mabel Ticknor, not exactly nervously but with caution.

“Any news?” asked Grim.

“Jimgrim, the world is full of it!” he answered in English with a laugh. “But who are these?”

“My friends.”

“Your intimate friends?” Grim nodded.

“The lady as well?” Grim nodded again.

“That is very strong recommendation, Jimgrim!”

Grim introduced us, giving Jeremy’s name as Jmil Ras.

“Hah! I have heard of you,” said Hadad, staring at him. “The Australian who wandered all over Arabia? I am probably the only Arab who knew what you really were. Do you recall that time at Wady Hafiz when a local priest denounced you and a Sheik in a yellow kuffiyi told the crowd that he knew you for a prophet? I am the same Sheik. I liked your pluck. I often wondered what became of you.”

“Put it here!” said Jeremy, and they shook hands.

For twenty minutes after that Hadad and Jeremy swapped reminiscences in quick staccato time. It was like two Gatling guns playing a duet, and the score was about equally intelligible to anyone unfamiliar with Arabia’s hinterland--which is to say to all except about one person in ten million. It was most of it Greek to me, but Grim listened like an operator to the ticking of the Morse code. It was Hadad who cut it short; Jeremy would have talked all the way to Damascus.

“And so, Jimgrim, do the kites foregather? Or are we a forlorn hope? Do we go to bury Feisul or to crown him king?”

“How much do you know?” Grim answered.

“Hah! More than you, my friend! I come from Europe--London--Paris-- Rome. I stopped off in Deraa to listen a while, where the tide of rumour flows back and forth across the border. The English are in favour of Feisul, and would help him if they could. The French are against him and would rather have him a dead saint than a living nuisance. The most disturbing rumour I have heard was here in Deraa, to the effect that Feisul sent a letter to Jerusalem calling on all Moslems to rise and massacre the Jews. That does not sound like Feisul, but the French agent in Deraa assured me that he will have the original letter in his hands within a day or two.”

Grim smiled over at Mabel.

“You might show him the letter?” he suggested.

So Mabel dug down into the mysteries beneath her shirtwaist and produced the document wrapped in a medical bandage of oiled silk. Hadad unwrapped it, read it carefully, and handed it to Grim.

“Are you deceived by that?” he asked. “Does Feisul speak like that, or write like that? Since when has he turned coward that he should sign his name with a number?”

“What do you make of it?” asked Grim.

“Hah! It is as plain as the ink on the paper. It is intended for use against Feisul, first by making the British suspicious of him, second by providing the French with an excuse to attack him, third by convicting him of treachery, for which he can be jailed or executed after he is caught. What do you propose to do with it, Jimgrim?”

“I’m going to show it to Feisul.”

“Good! I, too, am on my way to see Feisul. Perhaps the two of us together can convince him what is best.”

“If we two first agree,” Grim answered with a dry smile.

“Do you agree that two and two make four? This is just as simple, Jimgrim. Feisul cannot contend with the French. The financiers have spread their net for Syria, Feisul has no artillery worth speaking of-- no gas--no masks against gas, and the French have plenty of everything except money. Syria has been undermined by propaganda and corruption. Let Feisul go to British territory and thence to Europe, where his friends may have a chance to work for him. The British will give him Mesopotamia, and after that it will be up to us Arabs to prove we are a nation. That is my argument. Are we agreed?”

“If that’s your plan, Hadad, I’m with you!” Grim answered.

“Then I also am with you! Let us shake hands.”

“Shwai shwai!” (Go slow!) said Grim. “Better join up with me in Damascus. There are six men in the car ahead who’ll try to murder us all presently. They’ve got a letter that they think is that one. The minute they find out we’ve fooled them there’ll be ructions.”

“I am good at ructions!” Hadad answered.

“My friend Narayan Singh is forward watching them,” said Grim. “What they’ll probably try when they make the discovery will be to have the lot of us arrested at some wayside station. I propose to forestall them.”

“I am good at forestalling!” said Hadad.

“Then don’t you forestall me!” laughed Jeremy. “The fellow with a face like a pig’s stern is Yussuf Dakmar, and he’s my special preserve.”

“I am a good Moslem. I refuse to lay hand on pig,” said Hadad, smiling.

We discussed Feisul and the Arab cause.

“Oh, if we had Lawrence with us!” exclaimed Hadad excitedly at last. “A little, little man--hardly any larger than Mrs. Ticknor--but a David against Goliath! And would you believe it?--there is an idiotic rumour that Lawrence has returned and is hiding in Damascus! The French are really disturbed about it. They have cabled their Foreign Office and received an official denial of the rumour; but official denials carry no weight nowadays. Out of ten Frenchmen in Syria, five believe that Lawrence is with Feisul and if they can catch him he will get short shrift. But, oh, Jimgrim--oh, if it were true! Wallahi!”

Grim didn’t answer, but I saw him look long at Jeremy, and then for about thirty seconds steadily at Mabel Ticknor. After that he stared out of the window for a long time, not even moving his head when a crowd of Bedouins galloped to within fifty yards of the train and volleyed at it from horseback “merely out of devilment,” as Hadad hastened to assure us.

We were winding up the Lebanon Valley by that time. Carpets of flowers; green grass; waterfalls; a thatched hut to the twenty square miles, with a scattering of mean black tents between; every stone building in ruins; goats where fat kine ought to be; and a more or less modern railway screeching across the landscape, short of fuel and oil. That’s Lebanon.

We grew depressed. Then silent. Our meditations were interrupted by the sudden arrival of Narayan Singh in the door of the compartment, grinning full of news.

“They have opened the letter, sahib! They accuse Yussuf Dakmar of deceiving them. They threaten him with death. Shall I interfere?”

“Any sign of the train crew?” Grim asked.

“Nay, they are gambling in the brake-van.”

Grim looked sharply at Hadad.

“What authority have you got?”

“None. I am a personal friend of Feisul, that is all.”

“Well, we’ll pretend you’ve power to arrest them. Ramsden, you’ve suddenly missed your letter. You’ve accused Jeremy of stealing it. He has confessed to selling it to Yussuf Dakmar. Go forward in a rage and demand the letter back. Start something before they’re ready for it! We’ll be just behind you.”

“Leave Yussuf Dakmar to me!” insisted Jeremy. “I pay the debt of an Anzac division!”

I hope I’ve never hurt a man who didn’t deserve it, or who wasn’t fit to fight; but I have to admit that Grim didn’t need to repeat the invitation. I started forward in a hurry, and Jeremy elbowed Narayan Singh aside in order to follow next, Australians being notoriously unlady-like performers when anybody’s hat is in the ring.

By the time I reached the car ahead the train had entered a wild gorge circle by one of those astonishing hairpin curves with which engineers defeat Nature. The panting engine slowed almost to a snail’s pace, having only a scant fuel ration with which to negotiate curve and grade combined. To our right there was a nearly sheer drop of four hundred feet, with a stream at the bottom boiling among limestone boulders.

But there was no time to study scenery. From the middle compartment of the car there came yells for help and the peculiar noise of thump and scuffle that can’t be mistaken. Men fight in various ways, Lord knows, and the worst are the said-to-be civilized; but from Nome to Cape Town and all the way from China to Peru the veriest tenderfoot can tell in the dark the difference between fight and horseplay.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close