Affair in Araby - Cover

Affair in Araby

Public Domain

Chapter VI

“Better the evil that we know...”

Yussuf Dakmar had his nerve with him that night, or possibly desperation robbed him of discretion. He may have been a more than usually daring man with his wits about him, but you’d have to hunt down the valley of death before you could bring the psychoanalytic guns to bear on him for what they’re worth. I can only tell you what he did, not why he did it.

The great hospice that the German nation built on the crown of the Mount of Olives to glorify their Kaiser stood like a shadow among shadows in its compound, surrounded by a fairly high wall. There was a pretty strong guard under an Indian officer in the guard-house at the arched main gate where the sentry challenged us.

A sentry stood at the foot of the steps under the portico at the main entrance, and there was another armed man on duty patrolling the grounds. But there were one or two other entrances, locked, though quite easy to negotiate, which the sentry could only observe while he marched toward them; for five minutes at a time, while his back was turned, at least two gates leading to official residences offered opportunity to an active man.

One lone light at a window on the top floor suggested that the officer of the night might be awake, but what with the screeching of owls and a wind that sighed among the shrubs, headquarters looked and sounded more like a deserted ancient castle than the cranium and brain-cells of Administration.

We heard Yussuf Dakmar stop his cab two hundred yards away. The cabman turned his horses and drove back toward Jerusalem without calling on Allah to witness that his fare should have been twice what he received; he didn’t even lash the horses savagely; so we supposed that he hadn’t been paid, and went on to deduce from that that Yussuf Dakmar had driven away again, after satisfying himself that the Feisul letter had reached headquarters. It was lazy, bad reasoning--the sort of superficial, smart stuff that has cost the lives of thousands of good men times out of number--four o’clock o’ the morning intelligence that, like the courage of that hour, needs priming by the foreman, or the sergeant-major, or the bosun as the case may be.

The sentry turned out the guard, who let us through the gate after a word with Narayan Singh; and the man who leaned on his bayonet under the portico at the end of the drive admitted us without any argument at all.

I suppose he thought that having come that far we must be people in authority. Ever since then I have believed all the stories told me about spies who walked where they chose unchallenged during wartime; for we three--a Sikh enlisted man, an Australian disguised as an Arab, and an American in civilian clothes--entered unannounced and unwatched the building where every secret of the Near East was pigeonholed.

We walked about the corridors and up and downstairs for ten minutes, looking in vain for Grim. Here and there a servant snored on a mat in a corner, and once a big dog came and sniffed at us without making any further comment. Jeremy kicked one man awake, who, mistaking him for an Arab, cursed him in three languages, in the name of three separate gods, and promptly went to sleep again. The sensation was like being turned loose in the strong-room of a national treasury with nobody watching if you should choose to help yourself. There are acres of floor in that building. We walked twice the whole circuit of the upper and lower corridors, knocking on dozens of doors but getting no answer and finally brought up in the entrance hall.

Then it occurred to me that Grim might have gone into the building by some private entrance, perhaps round on the eastern side, so we set out to look for one.

We had just reached the northwest angle of the building, when Narayan Singh, who was walking a pace in front, stopped suddenly and held up both hands for silence. Whoever he could see among the shadows must have heard us, but it was no rare thing for officers to come roistering down those front steps and along the drive hours after midnight, and our sudden silence was more likely to give alarm than the noise had been. I began talking again in a normal voice, saying anything at all, peering about into the shadows meanwhile. But it was several seconds before I made out what the Sikh’s keener eyes had detected instantly, and Jeremy saw it before I did.

There was a magnolia shrub about ten paces away from us, casting a shadow so deep that the ground it covered looked like a bottomless abyss. But nevertheless, something bright moved in it--perhaps the sheen of that lone light in an upper window reflected on a knife-hilt or a button--something that moved in time to a man’s breathing.

If there was a certainty in the world it was that somebody who had no right to be there was lurking in that shadow, and he was presumably up to mischief. On the other hand, I had absolutely no right in that place either. Jeremy and Narayan Singh, being both in the British Army, were liable to be disciplined, and I might be requested to leave the country, if we should happen to blunder and tree the wrong ‘possum, revenge being more than usually sweet to the official disturbed in the pursuit of unauthorized “diplomacy.” It might even be some clandestine love affair.

So I took each of my companions by the arm, gripping Jeremy’s particularly tightly, and started forward, whispering an explanation after we had turned the corner of the building. “Let one of us go and warn the guard,” I suggested. “If we should draw that cover and start a shindy, we’re more likely to get shot by the guard than thanked.”

So Narayan Singh started off for the guard-house, he being the one most capable of explaining matters to the Sikh officer, and Jeremy and I crept back through the shadows to within earshot of the dark magnolia tree, choosing a point from which we could see if anybody bolted.

You know how some uncatalogued sense informs you in the dark of the movement of the man beside you? I looked suddenly sideways toward Jeremy, knowing, although I couldn’t see him, that his eyes were seeking mine. It is only the animals who omit in the darkness those instinctive daylight movements; men don’t have sufficient control of themselves. We had both heard Grim’s voice at the same instant, speaking Arabic but unmistakable.

There were three men there. Grim was talking to the other two.

“Keep your hands on each other’s shoulders! Don’t move! I’m going to search all your pockets again. Now, Mr. Charkian. Ah! That feels like quite a pretty little weapon; mother o’ pearl on the butt? Have you a permit? Never mind; not having the weapon you won’t need a permit, will you? And papers--Mashallah! What a lot of documents; they must be highly important ones since you hide them under your shirt. I expect you planned to sell them, eh? Too bad! Too bad!

“You keep your hands on Mr. Charkian’s shoulders, Yussuf Dakmar, or I’ll have to use violence! I’m not sure, Mr. Charkian, that it wouldn’t be kinder to society to send you to jail after all; you need a bath so badly. It seems a pity that a chief clerk to the Administration shouldn’t have a chance to wash himself, doesn’t it? Well, I’ll have to read these papers afterward--after we’ve usurped the prerogative of Destiny and mapped out a little of the future. Now--are you both listening? Do you know who I am?”

There was no answer. “You, Mr. Charkian?”

“I think you are Major Grim.”

“Ah! You wish to flatter me, don’t you? Never mind; let us pretend I’m Major Grim disguised as an Arab; only, I’m afraid we must continue the conversation in Arabic; I might disillusion you if I tried to talk English. We’ll say then that I’m Major Grim, disguised. Let’s see now ... What would he do in the circumstances? Here’s Yussuf Dakmar, wanted for murder in the city and known to be plotting a massacre, seen climbing a wall when the sentry’s back was turned, and caught in conference with Mr. Charkian, confidential clerk to the Administration. I’m sorry I didn’t hear all that was said at your conference, for that might have made it easier to guess what Major Grim would do.”

“Don’t play with us like a cat playing with a mouse!” snarled somebody. “Tell us what you want. If you were Major Grim you’d have handed us over to those officers who passed just now. You’re just as much irregular as we are. Hurry up and make your bargain, or the guard may come and arrest us all!”

“Yes, hurry up!” complained the other man. “I don’t want to be caught here; and as for those papers you have taken, if we are caught I shall say you stole them from the office--you and Yussuf Dakmar, and that I followed you to recover them, and you both attacked me!”

“Very well,” said Grim’s voice pleasantly. “I’ll let you go. I think you’re dangerous. You’d better be quick, because I think I hear the guard coming!”

“Give me back the papers, then!”

“Aha! Will you wait and discuss them with the guard, or go at once?”

The Armenian clerk didn’t answer, but got up and slunk away.

“Why did you let that fool go?” demanded Yussuf Dakmar. “Now he will awaken some officer and start hue and cry with a story that we robbed him. Listen! There comes the guard! We had better both run!”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close