300 Flowers - Cover

300 Flowers

Copyright© 2016 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 2

A few days later, while sitting at his desk at work, Derek gets a joyful phone call. “Craig Denton’s Finances, how may I help you today?”

“Derek, it’s David, I’m gonna be a poppa!”

Derek smiles, as he couldn’t be happier for his friends. “Congratulations, my friend.”

“We’re having a little get-together for our circle at home next Sunday. We were thinking a barbecue.”

“I’m there. What time?”

“Show up around noon and we’ll hang out.”

“Cool! Again congratulations, dad.”

David smiles. “Thanks.”

Just then Derek looks up and out his glass-wall office and sees a pretty woman he has been debating on asking out. He takes a deep breath and stands up. As soon as he walks out his office door, four workers descend on him and start asking many pertinent business questions.

“Sir...”

“Excuse me, sir.”

“May I have a second of your time, sir?”

The fourth person is his personal assistant and the slightly overweight brunette sees that he is being pounced on so she steps back and gives Derek time to sort this out. Derek sees that and appreciates it so he goes to her first. He points to her and says, “Yes, Megan.”

“Just reminding you, you have an appointment with Mister Denton for lunch today, but in ten minutes you have a meeting with the bank people.”

“Okay, thank you. Bob, you next for I assume you have information on the take over.”

“Yes! We were not able to buy enough stocks to hold a majority so we are going to have to get one of the other major stock holders to side with us.”

“Alright. Uh, pay attention during this preliminary meeting today to see who might be the best to approach on their side. Anything else?”

“No sir.”

“Okay, Mary, your turn.”

“I’m still waiting on the call back from Turner Broadcasting to see if they agree with the terms.”

“Try to move that forward as quickly as possible. It’s a small investment, but could lead us into new fields.”

“Yes sir.” Mary hurries away to get on it.

“And last, but not least, Casey, what can I do for you.” Casey is a petite young blonde-haired blue-eyed intern.

“I was hoping I could sit in on the meeting with the bankers today?”

“Yes, that’s fine.” Then Derek turns back to Megan. “We have everything?”

“Yes sir.”

“Then let’s go to the meeting.”


After a long day Derek is sitting in his office staring out the window watching yet another sunset. At this point there is usually only two or three other people left on this floor. One always being Megan because she almost never leaves until her boss leaves.

As he watches the sun finish setting he feels a great accomplishment about his professional life and how far he has come since he got out of the Army, and with only a two-year degree, but he still knows his life is missing things that are very important to him. Now that two of his best friends are having a baby it reminds him of it all that much more. Longing makes time warp.

He turns around in his chair and looks out his inner window. He sees Megan and that same pretty lady talking. They finish and the lady turns and leaves. Megan looks in through the office and Derek waves her in.

“Yes sir.”

“Who is that blonde woman? I haven’t seen her around, but the last few days.”

Megan smiles, and if she wasn’t already married she might be jealous. “That is Mister Denton’s new personal assistant. Her name is Sarah.”

Chapter 3 »

Close